• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
I am glad o’connor no longer a selector as my thinking is this sort of stuff should stay behind closed doors.
Part of me agrees, but another part thinks that too much shit happens within RA behind closed doors and it is slowly screwing the sport we love. We could use a few more insiders telling it like it is, but you know, maybe before the train wreck occurs.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
If we had tough journalists that held rugby administrators to account we would have a far better game in Australia. Look at the missing money from the Brumbies a few years back. Forensic Accountants report not release, Australian Federal Police report not released, ACT Sports Commission covered it up and not a word from the media especially elements of Foxtel.

LOCK HER UP!

Sorry, wrong conspiracy.........

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Some snippets from this morning’s Oz:
- Broncos CEO Paul White is off contract this year and has been approached for the RA gig. Saracens are also chasing him
- today’s Zoom meeting with all the super franchises has been canned after the media got wind of it. A TT comp is not off the table but it’s now morphed into discussions between RA and NZR. My read is that’s where it was at anyway.
- Daugunu has knocked back a $2m offer from Japan.
- Lyon are paying Rodda less than the Reds. I’m guessing he’ll go there for the season then turn up at the Tahs or Brumbies

It’s good just to be reading about rugby again!

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I don’t know about destroy but I don’t really know how a concerted agenda of destabilisation can be denied. During the Castle coup, the previously unknown and invisible (to me and many others at least) ‘chief sports writer’ Jessica Halloran seemingly emerged out of nowhere with coup-compliant hit piece after hit piece, supported with backgrounding from some key figures. A frenzy of News retweets from Pandaram et al always swiftly followed. The coup crushed, and some semblance of stability set in place (McLellan, Clarke etc), and Halloran has returned to the state she was in a few months ago - utterly absent and invisible. If no agenda was in place surely she’d still be continuing in her newfound rugby beat and reporting revised comp/2020 broadcast deal/global calendar/Super Rugby NZ news? But no. She flamed out when the coup did.

Can you point out any of these articles which contain materially false information?

RA in significant debt - acknowledged by the interim CEO $9.4 million
RA on verge of bankruptcy - acknowledged by the interim CEO - reliant on WR (World Rugby) loans/advances
RA board losing confidence in Castle - board said it had and then moved her on
RA board divided over Wiggs - confirmed by events
Wiggs threatening to resign - confirmed by events
Wiggs wanted to appoint own CEO - confirmed by events
Wiggs wanted Carroll - confirmed by Carroll

As for backgrounding by "key figures" this is how the world of journalism works - they receive information from insiders and write the story.

If she is "Chief Sports Editor" then the way it works is that she overseas and writes articles on a range of sports, but concentrates on the bigger stories in the range of sports - such as the governing bodies going broke, sacking CEOs, etc. The run of the the mill journos are on particular sports and write the run of the mill articles about day to day events and the editors or senior journos or even sometimes hard news journos come in for the big stories.

Just because you don't like the message, it doesn't make it the fault of the messenger.

If RA wasn't millions in debt, or there wasn't board infighting, or there wasn't the prospect of the CEO being sacked then there would have been no stories to write.

If you had done some research, you would have discovered that she wrote a similar sequence of articles about the funding of Olympic sports pointing out issues in how Sport Australia funds different sports between November and February.

She's not on a rugby beat, she's the sports editor so she moves on to other stories and lets the rugby journos write about the rugby.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
You would have to be pretty naive to suggest that News Corp were not using their news arm to strengthen their bargaining position during the broadcast negotiation............

It's a tactic they're quite well known for...........

That's not to say that RA were not without problems, and that there wasn't any truth in everything they reported - but the unrelenting rhetoric in News' articles immediately following Castle's rejection of Fox Sports' offer, particularly by Halloran who was assigned one obvious task, was not the work of an impartial news organisation without an agenda.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
You would have to be pretty naive to suggest that News Corp were not using their news arm to strengthen their bargaining position during the broadcast negotiation....

It's a tactic they're quite well known for.....

Look at what they are doing with FFA and the negotiations with the A-League. They pulled all their content.

As a business they are in the sh*t so they are bulling anyone they can to stay alive.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
- Broncos CEO Paul White is off contract this year and has been approached for the RA gig. Saracens are also chasing him
- today’s Zoom meeting with all the super franchises has been canned after the media got wind of it. A TT comp is not off the table but it’s now morphed into discussions between RA and NZR. My read is that’s where it was at anyway.
- Lyon are paying Rodda less than the Reds. I’m guessing he’ll go there for the season then turn up at the Tahs or Brumbies

Was surprised by the report that Rodda getting less than he was here.
Smith makes a point of him being the highest paid player at the Reds and now taking less to play OS . Makes you think he thought he would just move franchises within Aus , which RA vetoed, and the Lyon deal an afterthought.

Nice comparison piece with Daugunu saying the goal of attaining a Wallabies cap more important than OS money .

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Potential movements are happening at Fox atm which will see them potentially abandon their A-League deal, unless the A-League swallows their pride and takes a massive reduction. I have heard murmurs that Rugby could be in line to benefit as fox have decided to prioritize Rugby over domestic football.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Potential movements are happening at Fox atm which will see them potentially abandon their A-League deal, unless the A-League swallows their pride and takes a massive reduction. I have heard murmurs that Rugby could be in line to benefit as fox have decided to prioritize Rugby over domestic football.

Bein seems to have European football all tied up, so I assume that Foxtel would be happy to piggyback on the viewership that this brings to the table.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
As for backgrounding by "key figures" this is how the world of journalism works - they receive information from insiders and write the story.
And, magically, it all suits Uncle Rupert's interests. This is not how journalism is supposed to work.
She's not on a rugby beat, she's the sports editor so she moves on to other stories and lets the rugby journos write about the rugby.

Her only beat is Rupert's drum.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I’m turning Baba. My negativity was on a steep down trend, but it is starting to turn to less steep. ;-)

On a positive note, the Kiwis inviting Aus franchises, possibly including WA, to discussions is interesting. Perhaps they are starting to recognise that Australia has requirements - and that they might consider those requirements with open mind. Big step to get there. And more big steps required. But definitely positive.

<Splat> [bounce]

The sound of optimism going all "dead cat".

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

It's petty but man, i hope they tell him to go fuck himself with a sharp and pointy object.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)

Makes you wonder why RA and the A-League don't have a chat about sharing the costs of standing up their own production company. There's a couple of months where you have some cross over of the previous Super competition and A-League, but, the company would be busy close to 12 months of the year.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
It’s almost certain to be Fox. I don’t think the deal will be as bad as many think as well. It’ll be a reduction but something that could be mitigated through the reduction in travel, a small player wage decrease and reduction in head office costs at both RA and Super Rugby sides.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
It’s almost certain to be Fox. I don’t think the deal will be as bad as many think as well. It’ll be a reduction but something that could be mitigated through the reduction in travel, a small player wage decrease and reduction in head office costs at both RA and Super Rugby sides.

And hopefully there will be incentives in there if the new improved format leads to a significant increase in viewer numbers.