• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Agreed with this. I have no idea why the Super Teams aren't running an A-level comp right now with all their squad players + academy/club stars. It's such a waste to have all these players in the squad with no opportunity to prove themselves.

I don’t agree a Super Rugby B-Grade comp is the solution.
Wider squad players should be playing club rugby weekly, that’s where they should be proving themselves.

To remove another 25 players from club rugby only causes more damage at grassroots and the pathways level.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Wider squad players should be playing club rugby weekly, that’s where they should be proving themselves.

To remove another 25 players from club rugby only causes more damage at grassroots and the pathways level.

We're realistically talking about after club rugby though if it's an NRC replacement when non-Wallaby and extended squad Super Rugby players need more games (together with the best uncontracted club rugby players).

A few second string Super Rugby team games could also be held at the start of the year before club rugby starts up (there were a couple this year).

VassMan

Darby Loudon (17)

Could do it for first round of Super Au only before club season has started.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
We're realistically talking about after club rugby though if it's an NRC replacement when non-Wallaby and extended squad Super Rugby players need more games (together with the best uncontracted club rugby players).

A few second string Super Rugby team games could also be held at the start of the year before club rugby starts up (there were a couple this year).

The comment I replied to asked why this wasn’t happening “right now”, post season is a different issue but timing is critical in the discussion

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The comment I replied to asked why this wasn’t happening “right now”, post season is a different issue but timing is critical in the discussion

Yep. Admittedly when I first replied I was only thinking about an NRC replacement but then I realised that part of the discussion related to now which would be conflicting with club rugby (and I edited my post to try and address that too).

Ultimately I think we want the following:

Wallabies: play Super Rugby from roughly Feb to the end of June. Then 13 or 14 tests from July to November made up 3 inbound tests in July, 6 Rugby Championship, 1 extra Bledisloe and 3-4 end of year tour tests.

Super Rugby players: Super Rugby from Feb to June. Tail end of club rugby season. NRC replacement in September/October.

Fringe Super Rugby players: Some Super Rugby B games in late Feb through March. Club rugby for the whole season mixed with Super Rugby training. NRC replacement in September/October

Best club rugby players: perhaps some invites to join those Super Rugby B games where required. Club rugby, NRC replacement.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Yep. Admittedly when I first replied I was only thinking about an NRC replacement but then I realised that part of the discussion related to now which would be conflicting with club rugby (and I edited my post to try and address that too).

Wallabies: play Super Rugby from roughly Feb to the end of June. Then 13 or 14 tests from July to November made up 3 inbound tests in July, 6 Rugby Championship, 1 extra Bledisloe and 3-4 end of year tour tests.

Super Rugby players: Super Rugby from Feb to June. Tail end of club rugby season. NRC replacement in September/October.

Fringe Super Rugby players: Some Super Rugby B games in late Feb through March. Club rugby for the whole season mixed with Super Rugby training. NRC replacement in September/October

Best club rugby players: perhaps some invites to join those Super Rugby B games where required. Club rugby, NRC replacement.

I like it. Will SRU get behind it?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

I would hope that the SS would fall into line and not insist on overlapping their finals with the early rounds of NRC replacement as they did on a couple of occasions.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
RA posted their annual results for 2020:

Rugby AU recorded a net deficit of $27.1m, due to significant disruption caused by the COVID-19 pandemic which was underpinned by a $45.7m reduction in revenue.

Rugby AU exceeded its initial goal of $15m in cost efficiencies, with a final reduction of $31.2m.

The organisation acted swiftly to decrease costs in Rugby AU staff which were reduced by $9.9m (down 46%), a $7.7m reduction in player costs (down 45%), an $8.1m reduction in Member Union funding (down 28%) while all other costs were reduced by $5.5m.

https://australia.rugby/news/2021/04/29/2020-annual-report-agm

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I would hope that the SS would fall into line and not insist on overlapping their finals with the early rounds of NRC replacement as they did on a couple of occasions.

Well, a solution could be alongside a Tahs contracted side the Top 2 from Shute Shield could qualify. And if they get kicked. They get kicked.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Though, a better solution would be if the suggested revival of the ARS occurs that we could just have the top 2 from both Sydney and Brisbane qualify to play in that competition.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
RA posted their annual results for 2020:

Rugby AU recorded a net deficit of $27.1m, due to significant disruption caused by the COVID-19 pandemic which was underpinned by a $45.7m reduction in revenue.

Rugby AU exceeded its initial goal of $15m in cost efficiencies, with a final reduction of $31.2m.

The organisation acted swiftly to decrease costs in Rugby AU staff which were reduced by $9.9m (down 46%), a $7.7m reduction in player costs (down 45%), an $8.1m reduction in Member Union funding (down 28%) while all other costs were reduced by $5.5m.

https://australia.rugby/news/2021/04/29/2020-annual-report-agm
NZRU posted something similar. Seems about par.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
This. It was entertaining enough to watch, and no doubt furthered some talent, but I struggled to feel invested in any team, so for me it never really mattered who won.
Not saying a similar model is a bad thing, but I know a lot of rugby watchers who didn't really watch it.

I'd say because many didnt know anything about it, probably didnt even know it was being played.

Very badly marketed, for what was was to have been the pinnacle of representative rugby at state level.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
McLellan seems to have confirmed that RA will follow NZRU down the PE path with a sale of 10-15% equity.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
McLellan seems to have confirmed that RA will follow NZRU down the PE path with a sale of 10-15% equity.

I didn't like that he said we wouldn't be worth as much as NZ.. maybe not in product but in market share / growth opportunities we certainly do..

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I didn't like that he said we wouldn't be worth as much as NZ.. maybe not in product but in market share / growth opportunities we certainly do..

Given in commercial negotiation with PE strange thing to come out and say but then again maybe closer to a deal (which is much lower $ value) so tempering expectations early of what $'s might be agreed

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

Would growth opportunities factor heavily into a valuation? It does make sense that the ABs are worth more. Hopefully not too much more.

I liked his honesty about how fucked RA was and what work needs to be done. We could all see it but no one in authority ever took ownership of the situation.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Would growth opportunities factor heavily into a valuation? It does make sense that the ABs are worth more. Hopefully not too much more.

I liked his honesty about how fucked RA was and what work needs to be done. We could all see it but no one in authority ever took ownership of the situation.

Growth expectations (more than opportunities) ALWAYS factor heavily into valuations. Of anything. Investment 101.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Growth expectations (more than opportunities) ALWAYS factor heavily into valuations. Of anything. Investment 101.

The growth expectations are in rugby as a whole and owning a share of the biggest brand in World Rugby.

They're not investing in the potential for NZRU to extract more money out of the NZ market.

An investment in RA probably does factor in more growth potential in the local market as being part of the equation because it is coming off a low base but likewise, the potential share of the global market would be a lesser factor because the Wallabies aren't close to the brand that the All Blacks are.