• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Reason? NZR did not want to play that way.
Well there was nothing surely stopping RA counting oz derbies towards a domestic champion award. If RA raised this option and NZRU refuted it that would be disappointing but I see no evidence RA even presented this option.

BTW I don’t really want to look back but look forward and raise why we can’t have this next year. As to me would create a bit more interest as another trophy to play for (of course the super rugby pacific trophy is more important but useful for us as something else for our oz teams to aim for and also garner more oz fan interest).

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Well there was nothing surely stopping Rugby Australia counting oz derbies towards a domestic champion award. If Rugby Australia raised this option and NZRU refuted it that would be disappointing but I see no evidence Rugby Australia even presented this option.

BTW I don’t really want to look back but look forward and raise why we can’t have this next year. As to me would create a bit more interest as another trophy to play for (of course the super rugby pacific trophy is more important but useful for us as something else for our oz teams to aim for and also garner more oz fan interest).

I don't think that option (calling an Aus champion irrespective of the SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) comp) was discussed by RA (or NZR). But a structure within SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) of franchise champions was knocked back for the all in one scenario at the finals.

I suspect having a domestic champ as a Micky Mouse subcategory of the SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) would not achieve much.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I don't think that option (calling an Aus champion irrespective of the SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) comp) was discussed by Rugby Australia (or NZR). But a structure within SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) of franchise champions was knocked back for the all in one scenario at the finals.

I suspect having a domestic champ as a Micky Mouse subcategory of the SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) would not achieve much.
The triple crown for 6 nations the lesser thing..i am not going to go overboard on the value but for little effort involved it can’t hurt.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Unless something changes, New Zealand and Australia will be become fringe economies in the International Rugby sphere by the end of the decade. Europe, Japan and even the US will continue to make it increasingly difficult to maintain a competitive domestic game featuring the best players.

RWC, Lions Tour Olympics might help Rugby Australia tread water over the next 6-8 years, but these are one-off events . Likewise New Zealand might be able to hang on longer then Australia through better pathways and a PE injection through selling off part* of the ABs, but that only goes so far. Without a competitive club competition, and a 'Rugby Championship' product that domestic & international broadcasters are willing to pay top dollar for, Australia and New Zealand are going to struggle to compete going forward.

2 things need to change IMO:
1) Rugby Championship as a product needs to be reviewed, South Africa need to commit or get out. Japan and Fiji as candidates to join needs to be considered. A Womens Rugby Championship has to be established.
2) Super Rugby needs to incorporate a 'Champions League' featuring Japanese clubs, there's no two ways about it. Australia and New Zealand cant compete with the wages on offer in Japan, but a Champions League at least allows them to tap into the broadcast market on offer.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
In another little boost... 2026 Commonwealth Games will be held in Victoria, its a 'Regional Victorian' bid spread across Geelong, Bendigo, Ballarat and Gippsland.. Rugby 7s will be played Gippsland

Which means the following will be hosted in Australia:

2025: B&I Lions Tour Australia
2026: Victorian Commonwealth Games
2027: 2027 RWC (men)
2029: 2029 RWC (women)
2032: Brisbane Olympics

Last edited:

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
2) Super Rugby needs to incorporate a 'Champions League' featuring Japanese clubs, there's no two ways about it. Australia and New Zealand cant compete with the wages on offer in Japan, but a Champions League at least allows them to tap into the broadcast market on offer.
But is the crazy money in Japan from broadcast deals? I thought no one watches it but the corporations stump up huge cash. Do we get a slice of that pie by playing them?

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
But is the crazy money in Japan from broadcast deals? I thought no one watches it but the corporations stump up huge cash. Do we get a slice of that pie by playing them?

It doesn't really matter if it is or isn't right now because you're not tapping into existing deals, a Champions League concept would be a new product sold to the broadcasters in Japan.
If done right ownership would be split between Japan/Aus/NZ and each getting equal share of the pooled value of that competition, including broadcast rights and sponsorship.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Unless something changes, New Zealand and Australia will be become fringe economies in the International Rugby sphere by the end of the decade. Europe, Japan and even the US will continue to make it increasingly difficult to maintain a competitive domestic game featuring the best players.

RWC, Lions Tour Olympics might help Rugby Australia tread water over the next 6-8 years, but these are one-off events . Likewise New Zealand might be able to hang on longer then Australia through better pathways and a private equity injection through selling off part* of the ABs, but that only goes so far. Without a competitive club competition, and a 'Rugby Championship' product that domestic & international broadcasters are willing to pay top dollar for, Australia and New Zealand are going to struggle to compete going forward.

2 things need to change IMO:
1) Rugby Championship as a product needs to be reviewed, South Africa need to commit or get out. Japan and Fiji as candidates to join needs to be considered. A Womens Rugby Championship has to be established.
Can you see NZRU and RA coming together to orchestrate something like this? It sounds perfect but I don't think we have the corporate competence to achieve it.

Also kind of skeptical the Japanese clubs would go for any kind of combined comp.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Can you see NZRU and Rugby Australia coming together to orchestrate something like this? It sounds perfect but I don't think we have the corporate competence to achieve it.

Also kind of skeptical the Japanese clubs would go for any kind of combined comp.
Surely it provides their clubs with some much needed reputation. Don't know if they'd like the travel component though.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
If owning a rugby team in Japan is still a dick measuring competition, surely the shareholders of the Japanese league would stump up some big dollars (with investment from the team owners) if their teams had the opportunity to play 'the best' teams in the southern hemisphere.

You could even run the whole thing out of Japan if it meant they'd throw some money into a pot to get our teams over there.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
If owning a rugby team in Japan is still a dick measuring competition, surely the shareholders of the Japanese league would stump up some big dollars (with investment from the team owners) if their teams had the opportunity to play 'the best' teams in the southern hemisphere.

You could even run the whole thing out of Japan if it meant they'd throw some money into a pot to get our teams over there.
And that’s it, might even have to make the ‘Champions League’ a short tour based competition that rotates every year between Japan and Aus/NZ. Again make it a revenue sharing based concept with gate takings split.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)

I'd travel to Tokyo to sit in an empty stadium and watch the Rebels take on McMahon & co. Sounds fun

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
I think both kinds of rugby are in trouble in Australia

League is going head to head with the AFL and losing ground and I feel they will lose more and more as money in international rugby increases as I think we will see more and more stars walk out on the NRL for overseas riches.

I have believed for a long time a strategic alignment with Japan is the only way the professional game will survive here. I think we need our own domestic comp but also champions league structure with Japan and NZ. As the growth potential in the Japanese market is huge.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
It may be too late to expect a linkage with Japan. JRU would surely ask "what's in it for us?" In the past that was a comfortable question. No more.

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
It may be too late to expect a linkage with Japan. JRU would surely ask "what's in it for us?" In the past that was a comfortable question. No more.
Pretty sure the Chairman of the JRFU said last year they were keen on a post season comp of some type involving NZ & Australia

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
This should have already happened. Why hasn't it? I assume existing agreement but damn if the RC isn't stale.

Adding Fiji and Japan is such a no brainer.
I agree and Japan want to be in the rugby championship to help get exposure against tier one nations

So we should leverage this. Make it a win win