• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Pay walled

Sent from my F3115 using Tapatalk

From Wayne Smith, today's The Australian online, the key words extracted (my emphasis):

"Wot’s in a name, as CJ Dennis once asked? Well, plenty, if the Australian Rugby Union is to be taken as a guide because it apparently doesn’t like its name and is attempting to change it.
The ARU is in the early stages of rebranding itself. It’s not exactly clear what it intends to become but something different would be nice. Something that doesn’t sound quite so incriminating as “ARU”.
“RugbyAU” looks to be the leading contender at present.
To be fair, this process — there’s that word again — predated the attempt to get rid of one Australian Super Rugby team, which is the main reason the ARU is now so vilified. But it certainly wasn’t halted in any way once all the trouble started. Indeed, the rebranding work has gone on all the way through this culling process, unseen until today. It is one of the few areas where the ARU could be said to have made progress lately."

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Seriously, who are these idiots and how do they keep their jobs?

Isn't it just totally fucking staggering that they would consider this is in any sense a priority, financially or otherwise.

Particularly as they are so loose with their condemnations of parties 'pissing it up against the wall'.

Most full corporate renamings and rebrandings cost well into the $xoo,ooo++ range.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
if I don't buy a brand of cereal cos it tastes like arse, I'm not going to continually buy it cos they change the name.

Rebranding is only a success,when the shortcomings of the product offering that have been identified, are addressed in conjunction with the PR campaign.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
if I don't buy a brand of cereal cos it tastes like arse, I'm not going to continually buy it cos they change the name.

Rebranding is only a success,when the shortcomings of the product offering that have been identified, are addressed in conjunction with the PR campaign.

It reminds me of a certain TV show.

What is these days? Rugby 360? Kick and Chase? The Other Rugby Show? Rugby HQ? I genuinely don't know.

I've never understood why they think constant rebranding will somehow make people enjoy Martin, Kearns and Kafer.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)

What is these days? Rugby 360? Kick and Chase? The Other Rugby Show? Rugby HQ? I genuinely don't know.

I've never understood why they think constant rebranding will somehow make people enjoy Martin, Kearns and Kafer.

Could not agree more.

And surely 'Kick and Chase' has to the silliest, corniest, more trite name of them all. A bit like a schoolyard lunchtime frolic for 5 year olds.

The mind boggles at what goes on inside Foxtel's rugby department. I think it's run by the hand-me-downs from the national quoits and croquet organisations .

And one of their unrelenting doctrinal guidelines mirrors everything that's ill about the code here, namely: never criticise or even close anyone in rugby authority, find excuses for just about every code malady or local organisation, and hold no senior coach or RU executive accountable for anything.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)

I recognise the show for what it is, rugby banter aimed at the average fan. It's got some funny bits, and some okay analysis. The real issue in rugby media is that we don't have the scale to have in depth and low brow shows like many other codes, so we just get low brow.

I do however completely agree with you that the constant rebranding of the same show, with some difference segments, just doesn't make sense. Let the brand build value and connection.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)

Completely different thing.

Every time they rebrand the TV show they totally change the format. Sometimes there's a desk, sometimes there's a couch, sometimes there's a table, sometimes there's even a desk and a couch.

Although, now that I think about it, the ARU are getting a new office building, so maybe it is the same?

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
In the post game show for the Reds game on the weekend I was gobsmacked to hear Tim Horan make a massive mistake and say (paraphrased) the ARU has to fund the grass roots, that is where players are developed, let them play every week with some old heads and learn, a few games in the NRC will not do it.

I nearly choked, WTF, Horan uttering something intelligible and critical. I thought this could not be Tim Horan, then sure as shit he spoke about the humidity making the ball slippery and I almost forgot that moment of truth when he forgot his ARU approved script.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Not surprised Horan said it.

His on field IQ exceeds his normal one by about 150 points.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

Is there a chance many of the points raised in this thread and the others vortexs of ARU hate could be surmised in a "Letter to the ARU", it could be phrase some a bit more eloquently with less colourful language but still highlight the same issues, opinions and points.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Is there a chance many of the points raised in this thread and the others vortexs of ARU hate could be surmised in a "Letter to the ARU", it could be phrase some a bit more eloquently with less colourful language but still highlight the same issues, opinions and points.

How will they understand it properly without the invective. It surely will not convey the depth of feeling that they really should understand is against them.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...n/news-story/a33d0b6c0b29168b0cb67976315e6d8a

BMW, Buildcorp(NRC) and Lion Nathan are all pulling their sponsorship.. worth $millions

Buildcorp apparently in the $ million range per annum.

I'd think they'll find that very hard to replace at that $ level especially given the current aura surrounding the ARU brand. So the ARU may have to step in and materially increase its NRC funding.

Perhaps the cause of finding new sponsors will be aided by the uplifting news that the ARU is investing in a self-renaming exercise. Thus new sponsors might just think they are dealing with a different party altogether.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Dean Mumm announces his retirement, and next thing his Dad stops sponsoring the sport.

Money not required anymore, services rendered

How's that for a conspiracy theory o_O :cool:

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Fuck these clowns are shortsighted.
May as well just close the game Down completely.
There is simply not metaphor or analogy capable of doing justice to the serial incompetence.
They should just fuck off.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Can anyone share what is in that link as I dont subscribe to courier mail.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...n/news-story/a33d0b6c0b29168b0cb67976315e6d8a

BMW, Buildcorp(NRC) and Lion Nathan are all pulling their sponsorship.. worth $millions

Reference to buildcorp is an interesting one - thy were at the Rugby Business Network meeting the other month and were very pro their sponsorship in rugby. I would be facinated to here more about this and their views, plans going forward below calling them clowns.

Could it be being moved to a different area of rugby?
Still dont know what is happening wth Soup teams and the impact this may have on the NRC.

I cant read the article.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Dean Mumm announces his retirement, and next thing his Dad stops sponsoring the sport.

Money not required anymore, services rendered

How's that for a conspiracy theory o_O :cool:

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Who does Mr Mumm work for? Buildcorp?