• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Holloway was rumoured to be sticking around but nothing was officially announced right?

Although I wouldn't classify him as major.

It's at Allianz stadium so it can only be a Tah surely, would be weird to put someone else there and not at RA headquarters.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)

I’d back this one. History with Rugby and still before his prime years.

A lot will depend on the health of Tom Trbojevic with Koula playing Fullback when he was out injured last year. Manly could pay him equal if not more but if Tom is fine it’s becomes very hard to match it.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Noting a lot of these NRL players they’re discussing targeting are NSW based, I wonder how RA plan on ensuring there is an equitable approach to player distribution.

Also how does this impact on the salary cap of the clubs, if RA are setting the salary for these players they’re looking to recruit.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Noting a lot of these NRL players they’re discussing targeting are NSW based, I wonder how Rugby Australia plan on ensuring there is an equitable approach to player distribution.

Also how does this impact on the salary cap of the clubs, if Rugby Australia are setting the salary for these players they’re looking to recruit.

Something I'm curious about is what is RA budget for player payments?

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Noting a lot of these NRL players they’re discussing targeting are NSW based, I wonder how Rugby Australia plan on ensuring there is an equitable approach to player distribution.

Also how does this impact on the salary cap of the clubs, if Rugby Australia are setting the salary for these players they’re looking to recruit.
They did initially talk about guys like Pat Carrigan (Broncos) and Murray Tualagi (Cowboys) Jojo Fifita (Titans) but it moved on quickly. 9 NRL teams in Sydney means it’s more likely to happen as well.

I think if you want the player bad enough they will have a say unfortunately unless you want to pay them even more to go to Perth or elsewhere.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)

I’d back this one. History with Rugby and still before his prime years.

A lot will depend on the health of Tom Trbojevic with Koula playing Fullback when he was out injured last year. Manly could pay him equal if not more but if Tom is fine it’s becomes very hard to match it.
Would be good and I agree but he is still no Sua'ali'i

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Just watched Manly, he is a very good player, fast and hits hard, but you’re paying $800k for his future ceiling not what he will deliver first or even second year.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Fun little clash of worlds this morning: ASPI put up an article about Australia's soft power in the Pacific through rugby union. Written by Daniel Millis, apparently the Pacific Partnerships manager at RA and a former diplomat. Sounds like we have a rugby loving spook.

Makes me question the Drua u20s being in the NZ comp, since they look to be heavily funded by DFAT.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/a1c9bb4d20d1777b4b82dabe1b28c163

Wonder when the Chooks decide the contract won't include re negotiation clauses each year.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Fun little clash of worlds this morning: ASPI put up an article about Australia's soft power in the Pacific through rugby union. Written by Daniel Millis, apparently the Pacific Partnerships manager at Rugby Australia and a former diplomat. Sounds like we have a rugby loving spook.

Makes me question the Drua u20s being in the NZ comp, since they look to be heavily funded by DFAT.

Irks me, too.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
If you're doing the soft power thing it doesn't matter as much that they're playing in Aus as it does that we're funding them and it's known that it's coming from us. Arguably having DFAT fund them in a way that's less immediately beneficial to Australian interests helps convince them that we're helping them rather than just helping ourselves. It might also be effected by the fact that our super under 20's comp seems to be a bit up in the air at the moment, so it's easier to add a team to the Kiwi one. Also helps that for something like this New Zealand is basically just an extra state of Australia, so playing there is still leaning into the same cultural ties.

I would imagine this leads into Fiji playing in the under 20's Oceania cup more permanently (I think it's largely been invitational in the past) - an Australian hosted and government funded tournament.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Suallii apparently sticking around in the NRL reportingly only 750k is incredible. I'd expect Rugby Australia offered him 1-1.5 mil.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I assume his 3rd party payments must be massive that the Roosters have lined up for him. Add in the Origin payments assuming he'll be picked which I think he will and he will be over 1m for sure. No doubt promised the Fullback spot in 3-4 years that will come with a pay bump of 300-400k + Origin and he's still only 25 by then and yearly earnings could easily be 1.5+. The 3rd party deals are going to be a sticking point for any NRL star. Can Rugby get these in place or cover the loss of it.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
I assume his 3rd party payments must be massive that the Roosters have lined up for him. Add in the Origin payments assuming he'll be picked which I think he will and he will be over 1m for sure. No doubt promised the Fullback spot in 3-4 years that will come with a pay bump of 300-400k + Origin and he's still only 25 by then and yearly earnings could easily be 1.5+. The 3rd party deals are going to be a sticking point for any NRL star. Can Rugby get these in place or cover the loss of it.
You have far greater earning potential in union as it’s a global game

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
The catch is we want him to play in Australia where it's not as popular. Unless we allow him to play seasons in Japan the endorsement money by being a star in the NRL has more pull in the market here.

He's still so young it wouldn't surprise me if he thinks Rugby will always be there, which it will at a club level at least all over the world.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
In terms of playing contract - absolutely. But as TGoR said, the third-party income for an NRL 'star' could top that up pretty significantly.

Also important not to write off the value of comfort/confidence. 750k+ in a game where you already have a track record of performing at the highest level, or a possible ~1m in a role where you don't know whether you'll be able to perform.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
In terms of playing contract - absolutely. But as TGoR said, the third-party income for an NRL 'star' could top that up pretty significantly.

Also important not to write off the value of comfort/confidence. 750k+ in a game where you already have a track record of performing at the highest level, or a possible ~1m in a role where you don't know whether you'll be able to perform.
Win a World Cup and you have international brands chasing you. Play well in the NRL and nobody outside of western Sydney cares.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Win a World Cup and you have international brands chasing you. Play well in the NRL and nobody outside of western Sydney cares.
Significant international brand deals are true for maybe the top 10 players in world rugby. If you're playing the odds, you're far more likely to pick up a good-sized deal in Aus as an NRL star