• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Not that it will help the wallabies stocks, but I’ve saying this for years, super rugby should allow NZ players to play for Aus and vice versa and still be allowed to play for there national team.

The Rebs and Force will probably just be 6th and 7th NZ sides but who cares at this point. If the Aus sides start winning and getting interest back it will be worth it. Plus a few NZ players may even end up wallabies if they enjoy it here enough.

Of coarse it actually relies on NZ rugby allowing this moreso then RA.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
I think the major problem in this country is that comparatively few people actually enjoy the game of rugby as it is successfully played at the international level, or at least they think they do (because Australia has rarely played it well), and as a consequence, the administrators and the mouthpieces have watered down our implementation of it over the course of a generation to the point where the athletes we have hold no interest in or knowledge of it.

How frequently do even supposedly ardent rugby supporters moan about:

- kicking (both out of hand and for the sticks)
- the scrum
- mauls
- low scoring games

Nevermind the casuals, who think anything less than an 11 try meltdown that ends 45-44 is boring.

Yet the above are the cornerstones of tournament, and to a slightly lesser extent, test rugby. That was ably demonstrated in the IRE-SA game.

The 'running rugby' myth is still a pervasive corrosion on any attempt to whip the national side - which like it or not has always been the key driver of interest in the sport in this country - into a condition, and with a willingness to do what is required, where they can reliably challenge the top handful of sides in the world, and over time this negativity about the pure aspects of the sport - the breakdown, the scrum, mauling, kicking, defence - has leaked into kids that are now adults. Nevermind the fact that it's all bullshit - the 99 side literally won on the back of big D - only allowing a single try in a meaningless game against the USA - and goalkicking. EVERYONE loved that but to hear people talk about the good ol' days of 'ball in hand' rugby you'd think they were the harlem fucking globetrotters.

You can fuck around 'fixing' whatever you like but we will never WIN until we make our NUMBER 1 PRIORITY WINNING like all the other countries involved are doing.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
NZ, South Africa and France are all built on strong domestic competitions (Not sure about Ireland TBH). It's about building from the base first. Yeah I get that it may not be enough in isolation but it is fundamental.

House on sand and all that.

But yeah - its tiring watching them fail and talking about these issues.

Not a great domestic comp but they have amazing depth

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Not that it will help the wallabies stocks, but I’ve saying this for years, super rugby should allow NZ players to play for Aus and vice versa and still be allowed to play for there national team.

The Rebs and Force will probably just be 6th and 7th NZ sides but who cares at this point. If the Aus sides start winning and getting interest back it will be worth it. Plus a few NZ players may even end up wallabies if they enjoy it here enough.

Of coarse it actually relies on NZ rugby allowing this moreso then Rugby Australia.
I honestly think Aus should concentrate only having Aussie eligible players playing for them, and have however many teams that works out to. I don't see how Aussie rugby paying a portion of All Black player's wages will help at all, unless they got more coin than they pretending. How many players from Force, Rebels, Reds etc are not eligible for Wallabies? I really truly believe that is a short term answer, and will hurt rugby development in Aus in long term.

Goosestep

Syd Malcolm (24)
I think the major problem in this country is that comparatively few people actually enjoy the game of rugby as it is successfully played at the international level, or at least they think they do (because Australia has rarely played it well), and as a consequence, the administrators and the mouthpieces have watered down our implementation of it over the course of a generation to the point where the athletes we have hold no interest in or knowledge of it.

- the scrum
- mauls
- low scoring games

Nevermind the casuals, who think anything less than an 11 try meltdown that ends 45-44 is boring.

Yet the above are the cornerstones of tournament, and to a slightly lesser extent, test rugby. That was ably demonstrated in the IRE-SA game.

The 'running rugby' myth is still a pervasive corrosion on any attempt to whip the national side - which like it or not has always been the key driver of interest in the sport in this country - into a condition, and with a willingness to do what is required, where they can reliably challenge the top handful of sides in the world, and over time this negativity about the pure aspects of the sport - the breakdown, the scrum, mauling, kicking, defence - has leaked into kids that are now adults. Nevermind the fact that it's all bullshit - the 99 side literally won on the back of big D - only allowing a single try in a meaningless game against the USA - and goalkicking. EVERYONE loved that but to hear people talk about the good ol' days of 'ball in hand' rugby you'd think they were the harlem fucking globetrotters.

You can fuck around 'fixing' whatever you like but we will never WIN until we make our NUMBER 1 PRIORITY WINNING like all the other countries involved are doing.
This is true, you’d be amazed how many people will jump on a winning bandwagon, no matter if it’s “running rugby” or not .

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
I honestly think Aus should concentrate only having Aussie eligible players playing for them, and have however many teams that works out to. I don't see how Aussie rugby paying a portion of All Black player's wages will help at all, unless they got more coin than they pretending. How many players from Force, Rebels, Reds etc are not eligible for Wallabies? I really truly believe that is a short term answer, and will hurt rugby development in Aus in long term.
Both sides of the ditch need to change this thinkings. The French sides (although have foreign quotas) still are filled with foreign players and influence and they are kicking our ass. Irish teams have foreign players in them and a lot of foreign coaches, although they use some of these quotas to qualify players. They are kicking our ass.

English Premiership squads prior to last World Cup was full of foreign players. No surprise since they have been smashed financially a lot of foreigners are moving from there. South African players are made up of players from so many different clubs now.

Protectionism isn’t working in 2023 and doubt it will work going forward.

HooperPocockSmith

Bill Watson (15)
What about international rugby? England and Wales beat South Hemisphere sides just with a hard defence

Ball carrier is tackled. Ruck and the half back kick the ball away. The opposition jump and take the ball. Tackle, ruck and the half back make a box kick again.

The opposition fullback take the ball in the air and kick as long as he can. The other fullback take and kick the ball again. Tackle, breakdown, box kick.
Tackle, breakdown, box kick
Tackle, breakdown, box kick
Until someone make ñs a mistake and you take the 3 points

International rugby is not more entertaining than League. Not anymore. Maybe both sucks and we have to be soccer fans lol
Except every single aspect - tackle, breakdown, box kick - is a genuine contest. I understand your point but overall there is a greater degree of variability in rugby than there is in league.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
as for overseas players I still think the solution is to open up the floodgates and let the
Both sides of the ditch need to change this thinkings. The French sides (although have foreign quotas) still are filled with foreign players and influence and they are kicking our ass. Irish teams have foreign players in them and a lot of foreign coaches, although they use some of these quotas to qualify players. They are kicking our ass.

English Premiership squads prior to last World Cup was full of foreign players. No surprise since they have been smashed financially a lot of foreigners are moving from there. South African players are made up of players from so many different clubs now.

I've said on this board some years ago that some overseas clubs wanting to pay 1m a year each for our best players will ultimately be seen as a blessin rather than a curse. We actually only need them for a select few months of the year. Let Toyota pay them their bag and we can pay them 15k a test.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

Yep mate, but these clubs aren't using money from their national bodies etc to pay these players, they are are generally paid by club owners etc. I think if the teams were under the same structures in Aus you could quite happily say have the whole team full of foreigners. That's what I meant, see in Aus Qld rugby union pays say Reds players, and really all their money should really be paying Aussie eligible players. Do you really believe that say QRU (as an example) should be paying top $ to ABs or spend it on developing Aus players or helping their club scene. Hey it will leave more money for NZR to develop players over here if rugby in Aus is helping to pay AB's wages.

Last edited:

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

- the scrum
- mauls
- low scoring games

I agree, but that team over the years 1998-2002 for example, apart from being defensively very well structured (apart from the ridiculous game in 2000 at Telstra), also played extremely well with the ball in hand. I watched the doco on Stan the other week on the Wallabies 1996-2005 or so and the ability to keep the ball alive, even when tackled, with players almost always on hand (forwards and backs) for the pop-up off the deck, and the support play in general was exceptional. Of course, they had stability in the core of the team which was a million miles from anything we've had lately. And they took chances when they got them.
But yes, structured and effective defence, kicking your goals is Test rugby 101.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
I agree, but that team over the years 1998-2002 for example, apart from being defensively very well structured (apart from the ridiculous game in 2000 at Telstra), also played extremely well with the ball in hand. I watched the doco on Stan the other week on the Wallabies 1996-2005 or so and the ability to keep the ball alive, even when tackled, with players almost always on hand (forwards and backs) for the pop-up off the deck, and the support play in general was exceptional. Of course, they had stability in the core of the team which was a million miles from anything we've had lately. And they took chances when they got them.
But yes, structured and effective defence, kicking your goals is Test rugby 101.
Yes i've watched a little myself lately and they were streets ahead of the current lot in terms of everything you mention.

And to be sure, many of the highlights from the semi, which was really the final, were Horan et al running up and down the paddock with the pill in hand.

But ultimately 9 successful kicks against 7 with not a single try being scored. I don't remember if Burke missed any that day but it can't have been many.

I was thinking of the Telstra match earlier too when i was thinking about what people valued. it has was bandied about at the time as the greatest game ever played and i always thought from a wallaby perspective the semi against SA was better. How great was the defence in a match that ended 39-35 or whatever?

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Somewhat unsurprisingly Alan Jones has now launched into Eddie and McLennan in a big way. It’s hard to argue with most of what he says actually.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Yes i've watched a little myself lately and they were streets ahead of the current lot in terms of everything you mention.

And to be sure, many of the highlights from the semi, which was really the final, were Horan et al running up and down the paddock with the pill in hand.

But ultimately 9 successful kicks against 7 with not a single try being scored. I don't remember if Burke missed any that day but it can't have been many.

I was thinking of the Telstra match earlier too when i was thinking about what people valued. it has was bandied about at the time as the greatest game ever played and i always thought from a wallaby perspective the semi against SA was better. How great was the defence in a match that ended 39-35 or whatever?
Yeah, Burke was on fire (what a player he was).
And yes, the RWC 1999 semi v RSA was a classic. Like a gunfight where nobody wanted to blink!

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)

- the scrum
- mauls
- low scoring games

I 100% agree with this and my version of 'fixing' things absolutely sees getting the Wallabies winning as the most important priority - success breeds success. Where do we start with this though?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I 100% agree with this and my version of 'fixing' things absolutely sees getting the Wallabies winning as the most important priority - success breeds success. Where do we start with this though?
A solid foundation on which to make progressive improvements breeds success. Everyone wants to use success (that we don't have and can't achieve) to build the solid foundations.

Makes no sense to me.

Aren't the Wallabies a perfect example of success not breeding success? First to two world cups and all that.