• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Agreed with gainline if he wasn’t an ex player he wouldn’t get the credence in rugby circles. If the product was life changing for sporting circles, all the major football, nfl, nba, etc teams would be clamoring for the services. They simply don’t ignore even the slightest competitive advantage they can get.

I personally believe in cohesion, it obviously makes a difference but my belief on it is that it only plays a role in maximizing the talent you have. For instance if you are producing 6/10 level talent, some cohesion can covert these guys into looking like 7/10 talent.

I personally think we need to be asking how do we create 8/10 or 9/10 level talent and then getting a bump with cohesion on this, instead of focusing on maximizing the talent of our current player pool which isn’t providing enough guys no matter the cohesion level of the sufficient standard.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
The Ben Darwin thing is cherry picked to support it. If he wasn't a former pro we wouldn't give a shit. Everyone knows cohesion is a good thing but quality players are worth more. They point to Ireland but the French are made up of players from 9 different Clubs.

My concern for the talk of cutting a side looks past Super Rugby and makes me scared for what would happen to those junior systems. We see the current U16/19s tournament going on and the Force almost/should have beaten the Reds in the 19s. Yes, I get it they all recruit by this age but they are providing further elite development spots in the country and if the Force were cut those pathways die as well.
I can see why cutting side/s is concerning, but on other hand, would the money be better spent on developing players through schools etc?
I not advocating either, just looking as a neutral at both sides of argument. Has rugby grown in WA and Vic by having super teams? And if so of course you should keep them!

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Interesting thoughts from Dick Marks here:

I'd love to see his full report they reference but I really like his three key pillars of participation, coaching and competition.

Pretty damning that a couple of well credentialed members of the technical committee walked away because they’re recommendations were ignored (by Marinos it seems).

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I can see why cutting side/s is concerning, but on other hand, would the money be better spent on developing players through schools etc?
I not advocating either, just looking as a neutral at both sides of argument. Has rugby grown in WA and Vic by having super teams? And if so of course you should keep them!
I'd say yes if you look at the number of Victorian players coming through into Super Rugby now. Far more than what came through pre Rebels.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Would be nice if the journos ever pressed these blokes for a "then what".

OK let's go back to three teams, have Stan or Fox give us less money for our TV, meaning weve got less cash to give to the players. Oh and those guys that while not great super rugby players have left our country and or sport because they can get money elsewhere.

So we're now in a position where we get less tv money and have less players in our sport?

If this isn't a warning sign of early onset CTE injuries then I don't know what else would be.
This.. where the fuck does having fewer opportunities in RUGBY in Oz help us... It's not the best of the best don't already have a massive National comp with a very similar skill set and they can get paid to play.

We need as many opportunities as possible to get as many players into our game. Ireland has 4 teams but the players really don't have any other options. We go 5 teams but they have the NRL as a viable option to play in. If Im a young chap wanting to play professionally do I take the chance one the NRL's player group picking me up, or do I try and squeeze into one of the 5 teams we have in Rugby... odds are most will go for NRL

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Pretty damning that a couple of well credentialed members of the technical committee walked away because they’re recommendations were ignored (by Marinos it seems).
Can you really blame Marinos for ignoring such wild suggestions as "the appointment of a National Coaching Director", "resurrecting an effective Youth Development Programme" and "repairing the deficient Coach Education Programme"? :rolleyes:

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
Can you really blame Marinos for ignoring such wild suggestions as "the appointment of a National Coaching Director", "resurrecting an effective Youth Development Programme" and "repairing the deficient Coach Education Programme"? :rolleyes:
Apparently they'd cost money, so there'd be less in the tin for his lunches. Of course he'd sit on those suggestions.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Another report:

So all the stuff he was reported to have said ie 'I'm here to win the cup if not I'm gone' - and the Japan job - 'I don't know what you are talking about mate. 'I take umbrage to people questioning my commitment to the Australia job.'

Slimy bastard should never have been employed. I know! I was hoping it would turn out OK but my initial instincts about the little bastard were right......

geez I just want this circus to end

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Apparently Jones has agreed to a contract with Japan. Had the news on in the background and it’s just come up as breaking news.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Based on the information in that article, looks to be the latter…

If he wasn’t already going, that kind of wider reporting will certainly push things along.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Makes me wonder if Rugby Australia have known, which in all probability would have, but they have been keeping a stance on him leaving so a hefty payout of contract would be required from Japan to get Jones.

They would have known soon after the fact. Let's not forget that they recruited this guy in exactly the same way ....

Coincidentally, the meeting occurred just days after an alcohol-fuelled Wallabies fan labelled Jones a “traitor” at the third Test at the SCG.

“That fan’s behaviour is totally unacceptable and is not welcome at a Wallabies Test if he carries on like that,” McLennan said the following day.

“We should be acknowledging Eddie’s achievements as a great Aussie export. There’s too much tall-poppy syndrome in that comment.”

If only fans had been aware that RA heavyweights had already been in contact with Jones in a bid to lure him home in 2024.

The plan’s origins can be traced back to the Wallabies spring tour in 2021 when McLennan caught up with Jones in London in November. After that, the pair stayed in regular contact.

Penriff_boy

Billy Sheehan (19)
They would have known soon after the fact. Let's not forget that they recruited this guy in exactly the same way ....

Coincidentally, the meeting occurred just days after an alcohol-fuelled Wallabies fan labelled Jones a “traitor” at the third Test at the SCG.

“That fan’s behaviour is totally unacceptable and is not welcome at a Wallabies Test if he carries on like that,” McLennan said the following day.

“We should be acknowledging Eddie’s achievements as a great Aussie export. There’s too much tall-poppy syndrome in that comment.”

If only fans had been aware that Rugby Australia heavyweights had already been in contact with Jones in a bid to lure him home in 2024.

The plan’s origins can be traced back to the Wallabies spring tour in 2021 when McLennan caught up with Jones in London in November. After that, the pair stayed in regular contact.

That fan is correct, the ARU should apologise to him.