• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Yeah i did. I said if we want to win games the simple solution is to stop playing NZ. However if you have read any other of my posts you woild be aware im fully supportive of an international comp outside of a strong domestic product. Just like France, England, NZ and almost everyone else you claim to be successful.
And if you had read my posts you would be aware that I'm fully supportive of a strong domestic product. And yet you guys keep saying that I'm just Kiwi-centric.

Tomikin or Tomthumb says they wants a product that includes the PI nations, South America and Japan. You say want an international comp.

That's what Super Rugby is. And I'm not saying it's perfect or that it doesn't need a huge re-think. But in essence, Super Rugby is that international product.

Last edited:

HogansHeros

Bob Loudon (25)
And if you had read my posts you would be aware that I'm fully supportive of a strong domestic product. And yet you guys keep saying that I'm just Kiwi-centric.

Tomikin says he wants a product that includes the PI nations, South America and Japan. You say want an international comp.

That's what Super Rugby is. And I'm not saying it's perfect or that it doesn't need a huge re-think. But in essence, Super Rugby is that international product.
Great so you agree then, we need to focus on a strong domestic product. Glad we got there

HogansHeros

Bob Loudon (25)
This year?

Where did you get the numbers? I can't find a whole lot of attendance numbers for 2023 and I'm keen to see them.
Eh just plucking numbers off wiki off average over all time (certainly not reliable, but show that there is a huge disparity in numbers at a force game vs a reds game regardless)

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
That’s cool but I’m not talking about atmosphere.

Super Rugby has fan passion as well. Being a Blues man with family who are Crusader and Chiefs fans, good mates who are Hurricanes fans, I know Super Rugby has great tribalism and rivalry.
Yeah all those empty stadiums really speak to the passion people have for Super Rugby

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
You realise Super Rugby is an international competition right?

And games vs NZ teams seem to pull better attendances than against poor Aus teams.

Crusaders v Reds at Suncorp pulled 14,000
Force v Rebels at HBF Park, less than 7,000
Might be the funniest comparison in the history of this forum.

Super Rugby Juggernauts the Rebels & The Force. Edge of your seat stuff

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Yeah all those empty stadiums really speak to the passion people have for Super Rugby
Do you think every Top 14 game is sold-out?

The Reds obviously had no passionate fans when they were averaging almost 30,000 fans for 4 years over 20,000 fans a game for 6 years.

And I'm the one accused of being disingenuous?

I'm sorry you hate Super Rugby but lots of people don't. They might be longing for Super Rugby to get back to being a better product but plenty of people will come back if and when SANZAAR get their shit together.

noscrumnolife

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Aside from the ongoing media circus - is this necessarily a bad thing?
It's not. But the whole situation is so mismanaged.

For so long Rugby in Australia has been captured by short-termist thinking where stakeholders protect their own interests. Our administrators (state and national) have finally cottoned onto the need for long-term strategy and there is a chairman who clearly prioritises that at the expense of anything else. The irony is that in not considering the short-term implications of that transition, they have jeopardised their ability to execute their plan. I refuse to believe there couldn't have been a more subtle, nuanced way of getting Jones as coach from 2024-2027 and a centralised improved performance structure. That didn't require the turmoil and disrespect to the fanbase we currently have.

Re Tom Decent.
1. Are we foolish enough to think it was sheer coincidence he dropped his exclusive the night before the Wales match. I refute the idea that its in the public interest and he has a responsibility to publish. It is a game of Rugby, not of public corruption on the night before the Federal Budget.
2. He uses techniques lots of journos use that I can't stand. He knows full well none of his reporting can confirm that Jones wants to go to Japan - but that's the story he wants to spin. He has one source claiming an interview and nothing else. But he won't place proper context around the truth of what he actually knows, which is diddly-squat.

Here is another example of the kind of bullshit spin journos put on the truth to gain clicks and attention from an article he wrote this morning: "Multiple Japanese news outlets, and the London Telegraph, have reported that Jones is a candidate to take over from Jamie Joseph as Japan head coach on a long-term deal."

This is just not the truth. ONE Japanese source has made a claim, and other outlets including the Telegraph have picked up on that and reported it as gospel. But he implies multiple different organisations are hearing that, when he knows full well that isn't the case. Lazy journalism designed to spin an overall narrative for clicks.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Re Tom Decent.
1. Are we foolish enough to think it was sheer coincidence he dropped his exclusive the night before the Wales match. I refute the idea that its in the public interest and he has a responsibility to publish.

You keep pushing this tin foil plot, but you're quite simply wrong.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The Roar also reported, and this would've applied to other journalists looking to cover their arses before publishing, that sources in Australia confirmed the Japanese reports...

noscrumnolife

Jimmy Flynn (14)
They also say "One Japanese source described the reports linking Jones to the Japanese role as “bullshit” and that the JFRU in fact don’t want Jones to return to the role." No clear truth in this one and people attempting to claim they know what is happening are having a laugh.

Although I'll concede the Japanese source may very well be the half-Australian half-Japanese coach at the center of this whole maelstrom. I can't imagine too many Japanese rugby administrators using that word.

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
I'm sorry you hate Super Rugby but lots of people don't. They might be longing for Super Rugby to get back to being a better product but plenty of people will come back if and when SANZAAR get their shit together.
Sadly though this is where, whatever you and I want is just wishful thinking, yes lots of people like Super Rugby, the problem is simply not enough people like it.
And they can wish all they want about it returning to a better product, but that again will simply not happen as it is a fundamentally flawed product, SANZAAR can get there shit together all they want, but those people aren't coming back.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Sadly though this is where, whatever you and I want is just wishful thinking, yes lots of people like Super Rugby, the problem is simply not enough people like it.
And they can wish all they want about it returning to a better product, but that again will simply not happen as it is a fundamentally flawed product, SANZAAR can get there shit together all they want, but those people aren't coming back.
Agree to disagree.

If the Reds were topping the table and the Force were top 4, both consistently beating Aotearoa teams, fans would be back in big numbers.