• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Italophile

Bill Watson (15)
With Eddie calling a press conference on Monday and meeting with Rugby Australia before we can only imagine that he will be announcing his resignation…

Where to for now ?

Dan McKellar would be our best option and bring a bit of calm to the role - surround him with quality assistant coaches that can build a group for 2027 I.e Dan Palmer, Andy Friend

Nucifora hired to run the high performance and implement the centralisation that everyone agrees from an alignment standpoint is needed.

Ben Darwin and Gainline Analytics need to be hired to get an edge in any possible way with - this could tie into the centralisation and how we use players and combinations that benefit the national interest

Eddie in a short period of time had put a line through too many quality players names and has discounted the world class talents we have in our back yard
Making his debut as Leicester coach v Bristol tonight.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
Someone suggested earlier that Larkham wouldn't say no to Phil Waugh and Joe Roff. If we were taking bets, that's who I would put my money on.

I'm not suggesting it's my preferred option, but I reckon that would be the most likely scenario should Eddie pack it in on Monday.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
If I may bring up up some awkward parts of our recent rugby history, the players' revolution in the Brumbies around 2003 is the starting point of our current malaise. Their dissatisfaction/revolt/insurrection/whatever, is still there in Oz rugby; players thinking they know better than coaches and administrators has poisoned our game to this day. Why this, and I'll say it, champion lot chose to revolt against a very competent coach in Nucifora begs a question I'd dearly like to hear the answer to.

The advent of the Brumbies was one of the two most significant things to happen in world rugby in the mid 90s; along with the advent of professionalism it lifted Oz rugby from a nearly tier 1 nation to boxing above our weight against England, South Africa and New Zealand over the next 10 years. I haven't checked the scores but I suspect we won more matches against this lot than we lost.

The Brumbies have been the most successful Oz rugby franchise since then, but not Australia. Why?

Last edited:

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Don't forget Giteau's kick at the posts in 2011, those bloody Brumbies would do anything to tank success for any other Australian team!!

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Don't forget Giteau's kick at the posts in 2011, those bloody Brumbies would do anything to tank success for any other Australian team!!

873305.jpg

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Yeah, Larkham's the front-runner in my mind - can't decide if that's for better or worse.
Absolutely the worst thing Bernie could do for his own reputation and well being. He will be crucified here if he were to have a less than 100% winning record. I am still urging Brad Thorn for a twelve month stint.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I agree BR he probably isn’t up to it just yet and would do more harm than good, maybe in the future.

Reactions: dru

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I don't personally believe there will be any changes, I actually doubt whether Japan would still be interested in Eddie afetr the kerfluffle, and RA surely aren't going to sack him! There would be too much egg to clean off Hamish's face to allow it to happen.
I an guessing there will be an affirmation that Eddies loves Aus rugby and is commited etc and RA is committed to Eddie.
So suspect all speculation who is next in line could just be wasted.

Mind you I have been wrong before, and will be again, just what I think will happen. ie=0

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Absolutely the worst thing Bernie could do for his own reputation and well being. He will be crucified here if he were to have a less than 100% winning record. I am still urging Brad Thorn for a twelve month stint.
Problem with anyone getting 12 months is we the throw a new coach in for the Lions year.

We’re also backing ourselves into a position that say a 12 month coach beats Wales 3/0. We can’t sack them but they were brought in on a 12 month deal because we didn’t have the faith in you to commit to longer and that will always be there. Also, what assistants want a job that they will most likely be moved on in 12 months.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
If I may bring up up some awkward parts of our recent rugby history, the players' revolution in the Brumbies around 2003 is the starting point of our current malaise. Their dissatisfaction/revolt/insurrection/whatever, is still there in Oz rugby; players thinking they know better than coaches and administrators has poisoned our game to this day. Why did this, and I'll say it, champion lot choose to revolt against a very competent coach such as Nucifora begs a question I'd dearly like to hear the answer to.

The advent of the Brumbies was one of the two most significant things to happen in world rugby in the mid 90s; along with the advent of professionalism it lifted Oz rugby from a nearly tier 1 nation to boxing above our weight against England, South Africa and New Zealand over the next 10 years. I haven't checked the scores but I suspect we won more matches against this lot than we lost.

The Brumbies have been the most successful Oz rugby franchise since then, but not Australia. Why?
That highlights part of the problem with centralisation for the Brumbies: two of the Ten Commandments for Brumbies are - hate NSW, and and hate Nucifora. NSW is fully on board with centralisation, and you can't talk centralisation without mentioning Nuci. Ergo, centralisation must be resisted.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
I don't personally believe there will be any changes, I actually doubt whether Japan would still be interested in Eddie afetr the kerfluffle, and Rugby Australia surely aren't going to sack him! There would be too much egg to clean off Hamish's face to allow it to happen.
I an guessing there will be an affirmation that Eddies loves Aus rugby and is commited etc and Rugby Australia is committed to Eddie.

Mind you I have been wrong before, and will be again, just what I think will happen. ie=0

NoName

Herbert Moran (7)
Specifically, what does a 12 month stint of Brad Thorn bring to the wallabies in terms of short or long term results?

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
If I may bring up up some awkward parts of our recent rugby history, the players' revolution in the Brumbies around 2003 is the starting point of our current malaise. Their dissatisfaction/revolt/insurrection/whatever, is still there in Oz rugby; players thinking they know better than coaches and administrators has poisoned our game to this day. Why did this, and I'll say it, champion lot choose to revolt against a very competent coach such as Nucifora begs a question I'd dearly like to hear the answer to.
It also pays to mention that the same group of influential senior Brumbies effectively bullied Rod Macqueen into stepping down from his role as Wallabies coach because they desired & coveted to run the team above all else. Australian players are simply resistant to any form of authority whatsoever, even if the bloke in charge were the verifiable best coach in the world they'd still knife him in the back & you could argue that indeed Macqueen was at the time...

Last edited:

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I don't personally believe there will be any changes, I actually doubt whether Japan would still be interested in Eddie afetr the kerfluffle, and Rugby Australia surely aren't going to sack him! There would be too much egg to clean off Hamish's face to allow it to happen.
I an guessing there will be an affirmation that Eddies loves Aus rugby and is commited etc and Rugby Australia is committed to Eddie.

Mind you I have been wrong before
, and will be again, just what I think will happen. ie=0
You wrong.. never :) jks