• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Penriff_boy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Probably nothing, and I'm completely okay with that.

Skilled professionals in any field are having conversations with potential employers all the time. Eddie has made it abundantly clear that if 'alignment' doesn't go ahead, then it's unlikely he'll want to continue as HC, so he's keeping his options open should things go south.
But then he blatantly lied about everything

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Theory for all you hating Tom Decent.

Eddie did interview with Japan, he was going to leave. Decent broke the news on that fateful day for maximum clicks which incensed Eddie so much that he's backflipped just to prove Decent wrong.

So really, Tom did the decent thing for Aus rugby.
The alternate theory is that he is lying through his high teeth, as he has to, as a condition of the interview process. He'll be gone if he gets it and we are stuck with him if he doesn't.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
Sponichi have reported that Scott McLeod is now in a three way competition with Eddie and Frans Ludeke for Japan's HC role...

I believe the worst case scenario is that McLeod or Ludeke get the job, the JFRU then confirms Eddie as an applicant, and he doesn't resign from the Wallabies.
Wait, so the same outlet that last week reported that Eddie Jones was finalising a deal to become Japans coach, is now reporting that two others are in contention?

This is all looking pretty flimsy

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Wait, so the same outlet that last week reported that Eddie Jones was finalising a deal to become Japans coach, is now reporting that two others are in contention?

This is all looking pretty flimsy

No, that's not what they reported...

It suggested he was the favourite, but also mentioned that support may have dropped after poor WC results.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
The constant narrative about getting rugby into public/ state schools to counter league is kind of irrelevant.

Your average local public school, isn’t producing a abundance of talent for the NRL in 2023

The best, public league schools are nearly all “Sport Highs” aka (selective sports schools ) with better funding and facilities … and guess what ? .. they already offer union too …

What you don’t hear much is the majority of top league schools has always been in the catholic system, (therefore not public) … this is where league has dominated, hardly any offer union (apart from Greg’s )

Reality is junior league strength isn’t in school sport at all, rather its in junior club and pathway programs … league plays its schools games mid week which frees up the weekend for club games .
I do know that in my time in western sydney both my partners boys played 1st grade Penrith and came from state schools as did many in the team. One of their schoolmates played a few games for the Brumbies and another went into the Tahs academy.
The colts was different as several boys from a private school in the Blue Mountains played colts and the best were taken by Uni or Randwick after a while.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)

Discipline, selection, a flawed system: Why the Wallabies have been so poor​

It's also a very different situation now. Rennie had a year to go on his contract and it was widely considered that there was no prospect on him getting extended beyond that.

2020 was a weird year with COVID, 2021 was reasonable in that we beat France 2-1, beat South Africa and Argentina twice and finished the year with 7 wins out of 14 games.

2022 was where things went pear shaped and we won 5 out of 14 games including losing the series to England, getting flogged by Argentina and losing to Italy.

Eddie Jones talked up how well we might go to pretty outrageous lengths, made some pretty bizarre selection decisions and achieved absolutely putrid results. He's also 1 year into a 5 year contract. It shouldn't be any surprise that the media reaction to Eddie Jones right now is very different to what it was like for Rennie.
Also they 'were all over Eddie when he was first appointed as he sold papers and clicks.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
I don't think it was his passion as much as his brain (rugby) that let him down, the defensive systems he put in place to cover up poor defence by others were a reason we lost so many games ditto Eddie's efforts in the RWC with Koro and others running from one side of the pitch to the other.
See Nick Bishop's analysis of the Wales game on rugby pass.
So that's a a NO to Cheika and would in interested in Robbie Deans as long as we park the racist crap against him.
Totally understand the sentiment, and appreciate he is a divisive character. However.....while Eddie and Dave are sunning themselves pondering on their next moves, he is preparing for a World Cup semi final with a team that was ranked 11th or 12th in the world when he took over the coaching role. He is no mug, and I'll reiterate it was the inherent deficiencies of the players that led to the shuffling around, if they were properly developed with basic skills he wouldn't have needed to consider it.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
No, that's not what they reported...

It suggested he was the favourite, but also mentioned that support may have dropped after poor WC results.
Yes, it is. Here is the direct quote:

“Current Australian national team coach Eddie Jones is expected to return as the successor to Joseph…Contract negotiations have been held privately behind the scenes, and preparations are underway for (his) return (for the first time) since the 2015 World Cup, which led them to a historic three wins.”

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yes, it is. Here is the direct quote:

“Current Australian national team coach Eddie Jones is expected to return as the successor to Joseph…Contract negotiations have been held privately behind the scenes, and preparations are underway for (his) return (for the first time) since the 2015 World Cup, which led them to a historic three wins.”

I probably wouldn't lean too hard on the precise wording of those quotes lifted from google translate, but from the same article:

The Japan Association held a public call for candidates for the next HC in July. South African Fran Rudike, who led Tokyo Bay to their first League One title last season, also applied and is believed to have been shortlisted to around five candidates.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
I probably wouldn't lean too hard on the precise wording of those quotes lifted from google translate, but from the same article:
It would be one hell of a misquote

Which just proves my point that this whole thing doesn’t seem to have any substance to it right now. This article that was apparently misquoted is the exact article that has aggregated by every news outlet as fact that he is leaving

At this rate next week Rod McQueen and Ian Fosters cousin will be on the Japanese shortlist

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It would be one hell of a misquote

Which just proves my point that this whole thing doesn’t seem to have any substance to it right now. This article that was apparently misquoted is the exact article that has aggregated by every news outlet as fact that he is leaving

At this rate next week Rod McQueen and Ian Fosters cousin will be on the Japanese shortlist

Well, no… because this article is not the source for the investigative stories being driven by several news outlets such as the SMH and the ABC…

GPSlads

Sydney Middleton (9)
It’s over guys …. even if we get a domestic comp it doesn’t automatically make it a success..and if it does it will take years to see…

rugby is up against league afl and soccer ..all of which are far more popular …
it’s would be a near impossible task for the best businessman let alone the clowns in charge now ..

it’s over guys, ill keep watching rugby in europe
And nz… but the Australian product is in a death spiral

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Fair enough, I did sort of delete that time period from my memory. I will maintain she was an excellent reporter, take that example someone posted of her writing about Rennie and performance in 2022. It's far more balanced and reasonable than anything we are reading at the moment. I fear to imagine what would be written about Eddie if he presided over the Beale-Di Patson scandal.
David Rennie isn’t an absolute prick like Jones is.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Reading between the lines of what Phil Waugh said on 2GB yesterday the Eddie saga is far from over - firstly, any discussions with the JRU may constitute a breach of contract, secondly there is a performance review to come and that isn't going to go well for Eddie, topped off with comments that leaving some of the experienced players out was a mistake. I'll maintain my stance that we will be looking for a fresh new coaching team before the July tests.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Reading between the lines of what Phil Waugh said on 2GB yesterday the Eddie saga is far from over - firstly, any discussions with the JRU may constitute a breach of contract, secondly there is a performance review to come and that isn't going to go well for Eddie, topped off with comments that leaving some of the experienced players out was a mistake. I'll maintain my stance that we will be looking for a fresh new coaching team before the July tests.

Well unless they unearth a breach of contract (which Eddie has denied) it sounds like any separation between the two parties would be driven by RA.

Which would mean paying Eddie out. That’s a horrible result for our game.

Really any way you cut this it’s a bad result, just depends how expensive it will end up being!

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Well unless they unearth a breach of contract (which Eddie has denied) it sounds like any separation between the two parties would be driven by Rugby Australia.

Which would mean paying Eddie out. That’s a horrible result for our game.

Really any way you cut this it’s a bad result, just depends how expensive it will end up being!
Not if he hasn't met the performance criteria, and if failing those means he can be cut loose without cost beyond the normal entitlements. The salary numbers are different for the next 4 years compared with this year, so the contract 'extension' may well be contingent on meeting the KPIs, whatever they are. You would think making it out of the Pool stages would have been one of those though.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Putting aside the Japan shit, I would imagine that trying to fire for cause and avoid a lot of payout seems dangerous unless there's deliberately been a "maintain win % of x%" or "qualify for for quarters" clause sounds like a fight lawyers would love.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Oh yeah, I'm not suggesting or advocating a legal battle based on some ambiguous clauses - I'm referring to possibly failing to meet clear ones, and/or a potential breach of contract by holding discussions with the JRU. All I'm saying is I feel there is a bit to play out in this soap opera yet.

Last edited:
Top Bottom