• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
But I hope he had all the main money people in Rugby at the event. Reality is all of these people and organisations are going to be in Australia over the next 5 years. We need our events to be a success and this means having the ‘big wigs’ buy in.

The 200-person guest list for the event included chair of World Rugby Bill Beaumont and CEO Alan Gilpin, and too many cauliflower-eared, coat-tailed officials to name all here.

It was also attended by several Australian tourism officials, the original benefactors of this country’s taxpayer-funded corporate hospitality industry. South Australia’s tourism minister Zoe Bettison, Tourism Western Australia’s Carolyn Turnbull, Visit Victoria CEO Brendan McClements were all on the door.

The Great Dissenter

Frank Nicholson (4)
I don’t get this thinking and it’s an easy shot at someone while they are down.

Anyone with any minimal knowledge of a chairman role will understand it’s all about networking and generating relationships. The journalist knows better but it’s an easy headline and those that complain about this are bereft of any business knowledge. Hamish is a flog in many ways and might not be the right person for the role but of course anyone in his position is going to be in Paris the week of the World Cup final, or course they are going to use the embassy to host networking opportunities for people that might be looking to invest far more into the game than the drinks and food they will eat on the night. I’d be worried if they weren’t doing this
I have worked closely with Mr McLennan in the past in an advisory capacity and have no sympathy. Regrettably, I don't believe he has the organisation's best interests at heart (including Magellan Financial), but that is just my opinion and I appreciate you likely have more experience in a governance role.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I couldn’t give a shit who is filling the role or what peoples past relationships with the man are, pulling out of a dinner hosted by key sponsors of rugby in Australia and the Australian Ambassador to France, during a RWC in France would do more damage then good.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Yes, you will be pleased to know there have been many said dinners. On last count, approximately 2-3 per week, so the KMP has certainly put their hours in.
During a RWC and been in a high profile position, you’d hope he’s getting invited to dinners or we still have the ability to attract other people in the game to dinners and parties. Again I just think it’s strange thinking and don’t stand back from my opinion that those against it have zero idea of the corporate world or the function of a ceremonial position like a chairman.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
During a RWC and been in a high profile position, you’d hope he’s getting invited to dinners or we still have the ability to attract other people in the game to dinners and parties. Again I just think it’s strange thinking and don’t stand back from my opinion that those against it have zero idea of the corporate world or the function of a ceremonial position like a chairman.
This is something that Pony Boy has done that has really put some of these guys into a spin.

Even if you dislike him or the sport he represents, he gets in there, gets dirty and gets stuff done. I feel others are trying to be like him.

The Great Dissenter

Frank Nicholson (4)
I don't disagree and appreciate the role of Chair. My experience is that such position shouldn't overreach into areas such as direct recruitment, but the Chair position at RA has not been treated in its usual capacity under the current regime.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)

Not sure if it's a Fitzy puff piece or not, but Fitzy seems to try and stick EJ (Eddie Jones) with some hard questions.

Interesting quote re not picking Hooper, Cooper or Foley for the RWC.
And for those guys, I don’t think they were the right role models for the team going forward. Don’t get me wrong. They’re not bad guys. But you need guys – particularly when you’ve got a team like Australia has at the moment – you need guys who are obsessed with winning, obsessed with being good, and those three are past those stages.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Fitz: One of my other criticisms is that you’ve been given too much control, with no selectors, and picking your own assistant coaches etc. Going forward, would you be prepared to cede any of that control?

EJ (Eddie Jones): No, no, no, not at all. That’s what I’m paid to do. But in terms of selections, I have been consulting the most intellectual rugby person in Australia to support my selection or contest them. I can’t tell you his name because I’d be breaking his confidence. You’ve played with him. He’s the brightest rugby brain in Australia. I’ve had more meetings with him than with a nominated selector, and they’re the people you want helping you, so I don’t buy into that at all.

Fitz: Would this person be inclined to wear Randwick’s myrtle green for his jim-jams?

EJ (Eddie Jones): He possibly could.
Link? Campo?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
A couple of interesting comments/ positioning

Fitzy, you know when I took the job, I had three months with the team, and they already had a losing record. I could have kept the team as it was. And maybe, maybe, we would have struggled into the quarter-finals like 2019. I knew the Wallabies weren’t good enough. So I used the first two Tests to work out the status of the squad, and then I had to make a decision, right? And I gambled, mate, I 100 per cent gambled, and the actual difference between what we maybe could have done with a more established team and what we did do is so minimal. Now, it’s been blown out to be massive. And obviously it is, not making the quarter-finals, but the difference came down to one play in one game, against Fiji. So I don’t look back and say, “Shit, I wish I would have done this, I wish I wouldn’t have done that.” My only regret is maybe being foolish enough to take on the challenge of trying to change the team in such a short period of time.

Fitz: You say you picked players who “weren’t quite good enough”. I don’t ask you to name them but was it a serious error of judgment to take the most junior, inexperienced squad in the entire World Cup, leaving behind experienced five-eighths like Quade Cooper and Bernard Foley, let alone long-time captain Michael Hooper? Looking back was that an error?

EJ (Eddie Jones): The situation reminded me of when Wayne Bennett let Wally Lewis go. No one could quite understand why, but Wally Lewis wasn’t a great role model for the rest of the team. And for those guys, I don’t think they were the right role models for the team going forward. Don’t get me wrong. They’re not bad guys. But you need guys – particularly when you’ve got a team like Australia has at the moment – you need guys who are obsessed with winning, obsessed with being good, and those three are past those stages.

Fitz: Okay, so now we’re getting warmer still! When was the last time you met with or talked with a Japanese rugby official?

EJ (Eddie Jones): I think I had dinner with one, maybe February.

Last edited:

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
There have been hints it's Link for a while, though it's hard to tell if that's because it is or because Eddie wants people to think that's who it is.

I can't imagine it would be Campo though, he'd never be able to keep it to himself.
Yeah the whole 'breach of confidence' thing seems to imply Link, given his apparent desire to be removed from the public eye. I can only imagine it would be near impossible to drop his love for involvement in rugby altogether, so can imagine he wouldn't be opposed to doing some work in the shadows.

As you said though, no doubt a carefully crafted response from Eddie.