• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
I don't want to stoke the fire, or get this out of context.

But, international success over time, not simply a one off, but constant success seems not only to bring crowds and TV ratings it appears it brings funding as well.

I kinda, sorta, open this up for discussion, analysis if you wish, but certainty a talking point. It started when I read a click bait head line on 9msm, that read "Sam Kerr fan favourite in Iran" ,[ article below.] In the article it showed the WA & fed gov have spent on a Football specific training centre 50 million.

Google being what it is then linked me to Vic & Fed gov 100 million dollar Womens Football specific training and development facility.

You could add to this at every interview Graham Arnold asks for a Sydney based Socceroo training facility.

The two questions it poses for me and I find interesting, is First as our national teams fall down the rankings, government funding appears harder to get. Second the Football admins seem to be directing their funding received [my reading of these two articles] to high performance centres for their best juniors rather than at their professional teams.

If I am right, the importance of national teams success over time, is far more important than I previously understood pertaining to government funding. The wow wow wow factor for me was the funding was allocated for junior training facilities and is this the way of sourcing government funding.

The key links below are the last two describing the facilities the second one is from FA and is quite detailed.

AnyWho welcome discussion.

links

Sam Kerr a fan favourite even in Iran

The WA Centre

Melbourne Facility
You do realise the same Melbourne facility is for rugby as well? Plus didn’t the QLD government basically pay for an essentially brand new Ballymoore? One thing we don’t miss out on is government support comparative to other sports. It’s one of the things we do actually well

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
I don't disagree with that but that culture wasn't winning us many games either
Sure you're right on that. Although, the mess Jones has made won us less games.

So we're now left with an team who loses more games, confidence is shot and no identity.

shanky

Darby Loudon (17)
I re-read the Fitz interview again, but it didn’t get any better the second time.
The comments about Hooper are particularly hurtful and wrong.
This is a bloke who has been busting his guts for his team for years, sometimes solo.

If Eddie says he only wanted people who are ‘obsessed with winning’, then I’d like to sit with him and re-watch the Wales game, so he could point them out to me.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Is EJ (Eddie Jones) ‘obsessed with winning’? Cos he did fuck all winning this year.

He’s told us that he selected a team he thought could do a ‘smash and grab’, then it was about selecting younger players who would learn and grow through this experience and now we’re told Cooper and Hooper weren’t ‘obsessed with winning’.

It’s all bullshit. I think he didn’t like that some of the older players could see through his rubbish and may have even challenged him and pushed back on his methods and tactics.

So he dropped them. QC (Quade Cooper) knew exactly what was happening and couldn’t be bothered taking his calls to listen to more BS.

Let’s see how many of this RWC squad are still around in 4yrs.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I don't want to stoke the fire, or get this out of context.

But, international success over time, not simply a one off, but constant success seems not only to bring crowds and TV ratings it appears it brings funding as well.

I kinda, sorta, open this up for discussion, analysis if you wish, but certainty a talking point. It started when I read a click bait head line on 9msm, that read "Sam Kerr fan favourite in Iran" ,[ article below.] In the article it showed the WA & fed gov have spent on a Football specific training centre 50 million.

Google being what it is then linked me to Vic & Fed gov 100 million dollar Womens Football specific training and development facility.

You could add to this at every interview Graham Arnold asks for a Sydney based Socceroo training facility.

The two questions it poses for me and I find interesting, is First as our national teams fall down the rankings, government funding appears harder to get. Second the Football admins seem to be directing their funding received [my reading of these two articles] to high performance centres for their best juniors rather than at their professional teams.

If I am right, the importance of national teams success over time, is far more important than I previously understood pertaining to government funding. The wow wow wow factor for me was the funding was allocated for junior training facilities and is this the way of sourcing government funding.

The key links below are the last two describing the facilities the second one is from FA and is quite detailed.

AnyWho welcome discussion.

links

Sam Kerr a fan favourite even in Iran

The WA Centre

Melbourne Facility

Nah this isn’t unique to Football, they’re comparatively lagging behind the rest of the codes in this area, rugby included. AFL are in fact the benchmark in this space and they don’t have an international team.

Rugby has had a decent share of government funding of rugby facilities in recent years;

$30million for QRU at Ballymore (still more to come)
$25million for RA at Moore Park
$25million for NSWRugby at Daceyville
$30million* for VicRugby at Latrobe

anyway… this isn’t a football forum

Last edited:

Neo

Peter Burge (5)
Eddie has taken Rugby Australia for a ride and the halfwits that let it happen need to be marched out the door by security asap.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
How many times do we have to do the “fire everyone” routine until we realise we still have replace them with even less qualified people who we too will demand to be fired in 2 years time

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
How many times do we have to do the “fire everyone” routine until we realise we still have replace them with even less qualified people who we too will demand to be fired in 2 years time

yeah there’s hardly a more qualified person willing to take this role on given the turnover and instability that this routine of firing everyone has created.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Hence Chieka will come in and continue the fuckery or Bernie is about to be Pivacced.

I can't see many others the establishment are willing to look at sticking their hands up.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
What is “Pivacced” mean?
Be promoted to head nat coach based on excellent domestic performances with a directive for a specific style of play and/or relationship with players. Be unable to translate the playstyle to the international arena, partially due to difference pace, partially due to inability to recruit to cover gaps. Mess around with putting square pegs and not up to standard round ones into round holes. Despite being given a reasonable amount of time by the Nat Union, results don't substantially improve. Axed.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
At this stage I'm much more interested in seeing the broader high performance setup at RA properly developed. I think we really half arsed it over the last cycle, only ever having either a director of rugby type in Scott Johnson or a high performance manager in Peter Conde and asking them to do both jobs. Neither had the full set of experience or capabilities for that, but could've worked well in combination with a focus on their specialities.

Hopefully we're moving towards that tandem setup, otherwise I'm not sure there's a candidate who could do both roles at once.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Paywall’d, but every day brings a different headline from the Crimes…

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
whats the summary?

I’m hoping someone else can reveal that as I don’t have an ACM subscription…

But based on the past week’s headlines one day things appear to be looking productive, and then the next the auditors/lawyers are brought in again.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
One thing that concerns me - and please educate me!

Brumbies are on the verge of bankruptcy, but want to maintain commercial independence, but are relying an increase in funding from RA.

There is a line that the black hole in the brumbies books is of RAs making - because they reduced funding amount.

I can't see how this is not ... not sure of the right word here? Ironic?

Governing body wants to step in and take financial control of your business because your broke. You say your broke because the governing body isn't paying me enough and noone is turning up to our games....Governing body "yeh that's the point".

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Friday's news was to the effect that RA had reassured the Brumbies they would not be taking over the IP in any centralising plans and that the Brumbies will remain in Canberra.

Not sure if any period was attached to those assurances.

I don't have any details of the commencement of dispute resolution.