• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Scott Wisemantel is the 2024 coach of the wildfires
No he isn't. He is a consultant.

1699962228698.png

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Clearly the federated model doesn’t work, all this bitching and moaning protecting something in terminal decline.

Absolutely this.

Whether or not you have confidence in RA they're the only entity that is in a position to fix the professional game in Australia. The states are in the way of that operating most efficiently. Like it or not they need to get out of the way to give things a chance of improving.

I understand why the Brumbies decision isn't straight forward like it is for the Waratahs. NSWRU knows that the Waratahs will remain in place regardless of what happens. Ultimately I think the Brumbies have to get on board though. They don't have enough leverage not to particularly as they are entirely reliant on RA to remain a going concern.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
sounds like they are on board with high performance not the commercial component tho but i dont fully understand why that is overly necessary.
I hope we can see QLD agree and sign on at least in regards to the High Performance component and work out the commercial later as I do think they have valid points that need further discussion. I don't see the ACT in the same position as QLD.

Would love to see the Rebels and Force sign on soon to really light the fire under the Brums.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Absolutely this.

Whether or not you have confidence in Rugby Australia they're the only entity that is in a position to fix the professional game in Australia. The states are in the way of that operating most efficiently. Like it or not they need to get out of the way to give things a chance of improving.

I understand why the Brumbies decision isn't straight forward like it is for the Waratahs. NSWRU knows that the Waratahs will remain in place regardless of what happens. Ultimately I think the Brumbies have to get on board though. They don't have enough leverage not to particularly as they are entirely reliant on Rugby Australia to remain a going concern.

I imagine they'll get their guarantee in writing about not being relocated to satisfy the local stakeholders, yield on most other demands and get on board.

Reactions: dru

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Can we start banning people who link paywalled articles (that you can't dodge) without at least paraphrasing its substance?

lmao. git gud, son. Reliable dodge for Firefox, or Chrome (cringe).

The article.

Wallabies news: Why Joseph-Aukuso Sua'ali'i will be a worse signing for Australia than Eddie Jones

Strange but true. Roosters back Joseph-Aukuso Sua'ali'i is on track to be a worse signing for rugby union than Eddie Jones.

And it has nothing to do with his playing ability or the fact that he might play 20 or 30 Tests in his three-year term which starts in 2025.

It’s the damage his $5.3 million bolt-from-the-blue signing could do that’s the worry for crisis stricken rugby union officials who started a contract war with a brazen single shot across rugby league’s bow but may soon find themselves dodging tank fire whistling back in their direction.

Jones signing was an unmitigated disaster for rugby union but at least he was in and out in 11 months with no costly payout.

The Wallabies went from very average to something worse but they were on course to have a bad World Cup anyway.

When you fall to bare earth from one of the bottom rungs of the ladder the pain should never be acute.

Initially, most rugby judges (John Connolly apart) felt Jones was a gamble worth taking. And for all the drama about “Crazy Eddie’’ and his constant backflips and tantrums there was one thing the Jones debacle did achieve – it got people talking about rugby and caring about it in a “I hope those people in the car crash are OK’’ sort of way.

But the decision to hand the richest contract in Australian rugby – $1.7 million a year – to Sua'ali'i could prove a disaster on two fronts.

Rugby league is gearing up for a revenge raid featuring salary cap concessions for rugby stars which will make rugby’s top talents ultra-appealing in an era when yet another expansion club is only a few years away.

Rugby may have a British Lions series on the horizon but, with new salary cap exemptions, league offers to players like star wing Mark Nawaqanitawase, who is meeting with Roosters officials this week, will be immense.

League doesn’t have to win every battle. But if you put enough lines in the water eventually they will get a strike.

As former QRL boss Ron McAuliffe cheekily offered after league’s recruitment of Wallaby Chris Roche in the 1980s “it’s just feels nice to pluck one of their fellows from time to time.’’

Any NRL poaching success will be a huge blow for the Wallabies who desperately need every bit of star power they can hold on to at a time when their highest profile players – Quade Cooper and Michael Hooper – didn’t even make the World Cup squad.

The other potential landmine with Sua'ali'i’s signing is the size of his deal that has thrown the entire contract system out of whack and will surely prove the adage that jealousy is a curse.

At time when rugby has to fight for every penny, lashing out in such a reckless way has the potential to create massive disharmony.

How many times over the next two years do you reckon these three sentences will be uttered in a row?.

Senior player: “So if Sua'ali'i is worth $1.7 a season before he has played a Test surely I have to be a seven-figure player as well.’’

Rugby Australia contract negotiator: “Yes but part of his fee is that he is a drawcard and a big name …’’

Senior player: “Really? He’s never played State of Origin … and he’s a winger for god’s sake. He is a very good player, not a great one.’’

And even if he was, his signing may prove more trouble than it’s worth.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
I genuinely don’t know the answer to this but does the ACT produce a lot of super players or wallabies? I think there’s been a few but curious how the area stacks up. I’d assume WA is the laggard of the 5. Melbourne seems to be doing well due to PI population.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
No.

Lonergans and Mack Hansen are probably the best of the last decade. I'd be missing a few no doubt.

Vic definitely producing more professional talent. ACT and WA might be equal...

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I genuinely don’t know the answer to this but does the ACT produce a lot of super players or wallabies? I think there’s been a few but curious how the area stacks up. I’d assume WA is the laggard of the 5. Melbourne seems to be doing well due to PI population.

When does production start?

ACT has a tiny population but does have a very good record with developing young players. Their under 19 team was the best in the country this year.

I don't think it is overly relevant where players are born or grow up.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Born, sure but where you play Rugby from say 13-18 is extremely relevant. Brumbies 16s for example got beaten 50/5 by NSW & 60/12 by QLD.

They know exactly how to build a pro side through recruitment and yes the development of them from their but their ability to talent ID what they need when they need it is their asset.

Can see since the Rebels existing the increase in players coming through due to channels being created in these ages.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Has it gone backwards from someone’s pov who is in the ACT. It seems they use to be stronger in the youth?

Did Eddie’s beating up on a Waratah shield without probably the best 15 sides in NSW create a false narrative?