• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

JRugby2

Allen Oxlade (6)

This is a good laugh. They are really searching after the first 2. Isaac Lucas compared to Reece Walsh.... he'd be an inexperienced version of Nikorima at best.

Mack Hansen might die. Kellaway compared to Tedesco... Do they think League fans don't even have the faintest idea... Tom Banks.... What is going on here.
The bloke has literally googled "Rugby Players" and made a listicle...

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Not mentioned in the article but I've seen elsewhere that there is interest in Henry Arundel and interest in the NRL from him. Could absolutely be a contract negotiation ploy, but the flow on from these cap exemption not as talked about is the targeting of foreign union players.

As much as we shit on league here and it only being a domestic competition etc. I think the NRL does hold some merit when it comes to footy players seeing the competition as tough and high standard.

A bit of a badge of honour for players who are able to play at a high level across multiple codes.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Absolutely. It's the best competition for the world for the sport. (Yes , there are only 2) But, breaking into the NRL and having a career of anything more than 2-3 seasons is really difficult. The lack of other options keeps standard so high.

Being a dual international is still surely regarded as a huge accomplishment. I can imagine plenty of the Wallabies watch Origin with a bit of a burn for that sort of thing.

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
It only seems that the mungos place importance around being a dual international. Dell loves to go on about it.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Matt Rogers seems pretty proud of having represented both the Kangaroos and Wallabies. I'm sure everyone has heard him talk about his Australian Schoolboy days as well having to defend at 10 against with Lomu at 8. He speaks fondly of his time in both.

We have become more use to hearing the League players because before the 90s you wouldn't have had many Kangaroos becoming Wallabies it was Wallabies going to the Kangaroos because they got paid.

Currently, a Kangaroo would also have a better chance of making the Wallabies than the other way around. Why would Wallabies talk about it. You know they do look at the RWC with envy. Nice crowds in France or Australia v Lebanon with some guys on annual leave.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Is making the Kangaroos really that much of an achievement?

I still can see the gaps Timana Tahu left in his Wallabies debut against the Springboks.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Is making the Kangaroos really that much of an achievement?

I still can see the gaps Timana Tahu left in his Wallabies debut against the Springboks.

It's a real rabbit hole going through a list of league recruit hits and misses.

Hard to imagine the Wallabies making the 2003 RWC Final without their leaguies or to dismiss the impact Folau had during his time in gold.

There are clearly benefits and downsides to the tactic.

RemainingInTheGame

Allen Oxlade (6)
How likely is that to happen? ie how many schools in Melbourne run a rugby team?

A mixed bunch of from various school associations, but nearly all private.

Most run only 1 or 2 teams in opens.

There are also a few high schools with programs outside of the VSRU (but not many, maybe 5 or so).

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
I don’t think making the Roos is that prestigious. There’s two other consistently good nations and England is really a stretch to be always good.
But state or origin seems pretty attractice
Again. Just a dumb move antagonizing nrl about how you were going to raid them before you even had the money to do so.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I don’t think making the Roos is that prestigious. There’s two other consistently good nations and England is really a stretch to be always good.
But state or origin seems pretty attractice
Again. Just a dumb move antagonizing nrl about how you were going to raid them before you even had the money to do so.
From the perspective of their international game maybe you’re right but being named in it is when it’s the pinnacle of the entire sport for them.

I think the whole thing should be dropped. We look silly at this point. I like JS and think he’ll be a good player but we said we’re coming for the lot… made no sense. We clearly can’t.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Can anyone paste the content?
IMG_9518.jpeg

Reactions: dru

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
The chairs of the Queensland Rugby Union, ACT Rugby, Rugby WA, South Australia Rugby, Tasmania Rugby and Northern Territory Rugby jointly sent a letter of no confidence to McLennan on Friday, following a secret phone hook-up on Wednesday afternoon to discuss the RA chairman’s leadership following a disastrous year in rugby.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
There are 13 voting members of Rugby Australia: each state or territory gets one vote (and a second vote if it has over 50,000 players), each Super Rugby licencee gets a vote, and the Rugby Union Players Association also has a vote.

With the Waratahs’ vote now void given it is under RA ownership, there are a total of 15 votes.

Doritos Day

Johnnie Wallace (23)
If he truly cares he’d listen and move on even if he disagrees personally.
100%, and if things actually do get worse he can sit back and take the high ground about how good he really was, the smartest in the room

But it seems very unlikely given every comment has been smarmy, arrogant or self-pitying. He sees leaving as some personal character flaw, so it's become emotional at this point.

noscrumnolife

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Voting breakdown is:
QRU + Reds = 3 votes
ACT + Brumbies = 2 votes
Rugby WA = 1 vote
Rugby SA = 1 vote

That is 7, which is one short of the majority. The article says it is unclear if the Force are aligned with Rugby WA. Not sure where you are getting Tasmania and NT from Sully, they aren't mentioned in the article. All up you'd think its close to curtains for the hammer, I can't imagine every other entity giving him the eight votes he needs.

Personally couldn't really give a rats arse, he will just be replaced by some other wanker, this is worth noting though: "McLennan’s departure would likely see more willingness by states to sign up with Rugby Australia's centralisation plans, according to sources close to the process who spoke anonymously due to the confidential nature of the talks."

Last edited: