• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

rugbyAU

Nev Cottrell (35)
I am confident the Wallabies have their best opportunity to win the Bledisloe next year, An All Black side without Sam Whitelock, Brodie Retallick, Shannon Frizell, Aaron Smith and Richie Mounga has some big holes to fill.
Maybe but we’re in a shit place and I’ve heard all this confident talk before and it hasn’t ended well, like they did in 2016 the all blacks can replace those guys Roigard and McKenzie are better halves than what we have

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)
Maybe but we’re in a shit place and I’ve heard all this confident talk before and it hasn’t ended well, like they did in 2016 the all blacks can replace those guys Roigard and McKenzie are better halves than what we have
Do you know how many test matches we have before the Bledisloe next year?

Clubhouse coach

Sydney Middleton (9)
McKenzie is a class act and would love him in Wallaby colours, but there is a lot of rugby IQ in those five players.
Isaac Lucas reminds me of a young McKenzie, any chance we can get him home?

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Love to see him back but a team is going to have to pay $500k+ for the chance I'd guess. Plays with his brother as well at the Black Rams.

If an Aussie side could pick him up I think they could be the best side in Aus when looking around the status/inexperience of our playmakers.

23 is just coming into his prime years now.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Outgoing Flying Fijians coach Simon Raiwalui has been appointed as a High Performance General Manager for World Rugby.
Fantastic news for Australia. Might be a help to us noting his experience in bring second tier nations up to tier one standard. :eek:

Clubhouse coach

Sydney Middleton (9)
Love to see him back but a team is going to have to pay $500k+ for the chance I'd guess. Plays with his brother as well at the Black Rams.

If an Aussie side could pick him up I think they could be the best side in Aus when looking around the status/inexperience of our playmakers.

Could we sell Sua

Can we sell Sua'ali'i to the Dolphins and use the money to bring Hosea, Hocking, Lucas and Maddocks home.

Doritos Day

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I am confident the Wallabies have their best opportunity to win the Bledisloe next year, An All Black side without Sam Whitelock, Brodie Retallick, Shannon Frizell, Aaron Smith and Richie Mounga has some big holes to fill.
Any series that involves Eden Park is unwinnable.

This year was the chance with a weaker than usual NZ side (at the time), decent looking Wallabies and favourable schedule. Then Edward was parachuted in and the opportunity was lost

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
I'd almost say the Wallabies have as much chance winning the Bledisloe as the Aussie cricket team had winning the world cup. Except that's wrong - we've probably got less chance this year.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
For all the doom and gloom we should have rolled them in NZ when the rested all the players who are leaving.

All the excuses from the Kiwis then was that it wasn’t a full strength side. But the reality is it is their full strength side now. We took a chance went in young to the World Cup and the games we lost we couldn’t match the team’s physically but people are being over dramatic about it

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Community Rugby letter that went out this morning.

Good morning,

In March this year Rugby Australia committed to participate in a two-year global law trial, facilitated by World Rugby, which will result in the legal tackle height being reduced from below the line of the shoulders to the sternum at Community level.

Following consultation with our Member Unions as well as coaches, match officials, administrators and medical professionals, the tackle height will be lowered to below the base of the sternum for all competitions below Super Rugby that commence on or after February 10, 2024. This change in law will include all Premier Grades, School Competitions, and Pathway Competitions.

In all stakeholder engagement, key consideration was given to:
  • enhancing player safety.
  • the experience for the players, including professional players.
  • additional challenges that could be encountered by match officials.
  • possible changes to tactics and tackle technique currently being coached.
  • perception of the game by people not currently involved in rugby.
Changing the legal tackle height to the base of the sternum ensures the tackler's head is lower relative to the ball carrier's body, minimising the risk of head-to-head, and head-to-shoulder contact, and reducing the risk of head injury to both players. Initial trials and research findings over the last six years have indicated that the risk of concussion is 4.2 times higher when a tackler's head is positioned above the sternum of the ball carrier and the safest place to tackle is between the waist and sternum. The global law trial includes major Unions around the world such as England, France, Ireland, New Zealand, Scotland, South Africa, and Wales, and early indications are very positive with significant reduction in head impacts and suspected concussion being reported.

As part of the research select competitions around the world are being filmed and then analysed by World Rugby to undertake a comparison between significant head impacts and concussion under the previous law and the variation, as well as tracking the variation year to year. This assessment will review the positioning of tackler and ball carrier, their head proximity, point of contact, tackle type, direction of players, evasion techniques, number of passes preceding tackle etc. Game metric outcomes such as ball in play time, passing rate and offloads will also be captured as part of the trial evaluation.

To support your coaches and match officials with this transition to the new tackle height we have produced a range of resources and training materials. Match officials will be asked to place greater emphasis on the existing law preventing a ball carrier from “dipping” into a tackle and placing themselves, and potentially the defender, in an unsafe position for contact. The new law will not change the ability for an attacking player to "pick-and-go" where the ball carrier typically starts and continues at a low body height. The defender will still be required to avoid contact with the head and neck of the ball carrier as stipulated in the existing World Rugby Head Contact framework.

It is important to note there may be an adjustment period for players and match officials so please be patient through this time. For more information and ongoing updates, please visit our website.

We will continue to ensure that any decisions impacting the game are informed by research and evidence that prioritise player safety and welfare.

Thank you for your involvement in Rugby.

Kind Regards,

Phil Waugh - CEO, Rugby Australia

wamberal99

Syd Malcolm (24)
Wow - regardless of opinion on the change, I'm pretty surprised they've actually implemented it so quickly.

I wonder whether the ultimate goal is to promote union as a 'safer' game than league to help appease parents.
Both rugby codes are safer than the AFL. Rugby has more head on collisions, but in the AFL there are some catastrophic prangs. At speed, too.