• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Linerunner2023

Fred Wood (13)
The Roosters are paying Mark $600,000
RA offered him $550,000 on a longer term deal
Yes and rugby Aus has spent all their $ on a player in the nrl who is on $750K and spent $1.5m to get him back
What reason other then money is Sua'ali'i coming back? Has he been promised a wallabies jersey?

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
I know you’re a troll but his quote shows a level of humility that Eddie Jones never had- hence the different reception.
It's from his agent. And it's utter tripe, so emotional

Mark couldn't care less about Rugby fans, and his agent insulting us by pretending like he does is irritating

Eddie is a prat, but they are both traitors

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
Yes and rugby Aus has spent all their $ on a player in the nrl who is on $750K and spent $1.5m to get him back
What reason other then money is Sua'ali'i coming back? Has he been promised a wallabies jersey?
When Sua'alli kills it in rugby are you still going to dog him?

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Good luck to the young lad, I hope he enjoys his time there.

As for loyalty I don’t really care about it because it goes both ways. What matters is professionalism, and as long as he’s 110% committed during the time he’s contracted then that’s all that matters in my eyes. Others may differ and that’s cool.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
Mark's not a traitor. He's an employee, he goes where it's best for him, fair play. Eddie is, breaking contracts and lying through his teeth.
Eddie was an employee too, and as was mentioned, he never broke any contract, both sides had an out this year which they took

This is the definition of a double standard

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
I don’t think Sua'ali'i deal has anything to do with this deal. You are only worth what someone is willing to pay for you. His market value is obviously $600k. From all reports we weren’t too far off this, so it’s clearly a decision on environment. He’s obviously more excited in what the Roosters have sold him over what RA was able to sell him. If it was financial the Roosters would have had to pay overs to him to change workplace.

If it was environmental issues, who knows what that was. Perhaps it’s the Tahs environment, RA, Wallabies, the direction WR (World Rugby) is taking the game? Who knows. Prob odds are it’s a bit of everything.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Eddie was an employee too, and as was mentioned, he never broke any contract, both sides had an out this year which they took

This is the definition of a double standard
Surely you're being facetious. Mark has never lied or spoken ill of RA. Eddie came in, burnt as many bridges as possible, lied repeatedly, realised job was hard, clearly agitated to break his K as early as possible, then held RA hostage till they released him. Eddie is the definition of traitor.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I read someone (either here or elsewhere I can't remember now) say to shut the door on 2027 RWC for him now - to make a statement to other Wallabies thinking of jumping ship.

I don't think that's necessarily the right thing - same as not picking him this year.
Lol goodluck with that. Fast track to having no players at all.

Linerunner2023

Fred Wood (13)
I just think we need to be rewarding loyalty to players that turn down more money to stay and play Rugby in Australia

Weird that people don't have the same energy that they did for Eddie being a traitor. Maybe there are a lot of Roosters fans here
We all know your fanboy crush of Eddie which will never die
How can you still support him at all?
you said pre RWC Eddie’s so called new team was building for the future and I came back saying what’s the point if not part of the future if you fail?
that one stuck well

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
We all know your fanboy crush of Eddie which will never die
How can you still support him at all?
you said pre RWC Eddie’s so called new team was building for the future and I came back saying what’s the point if not part of the future if you fail?
that one stuck well
I'm not supporting Eddie at all. He's a twit

I'm consistent in my view that both he and Mark haven't been loyal to Australian rugby

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
Surely you're being facetious. Mark has never lied or spoken ill of RA. Eddie came in, burnt as many bridges as possible, lied repeatedly, realised job was hard, clearly agitated to break his K as early as possible, then held RA hostage till they released him. Eddie is the definition of traitor.
But the result is the same. All the time and money that RA spent on developing Mark from a schoolboy and first chance he gets he bolts for the door

Just my opinion but I personally think that's quite poor

Namerican

Bill Watson (15)
I can't blame him. I imagine being a part of that RWC squad was frustrating and embarrassing for the players. And he saw that RA did a lot of their veteran players dirty. No loyalty to Mike Hooper, Quade, Samu, Ikitau. Mark's playing at a World XV level as a winger and they then offer someone who has put zero time into the squad triple your salary, possibly as your replacement. Meanwhile the coach just quit/fired, the President got ousted, there's no certainty in management.

If I were him I'd be making the same move. Can't fly like an eagle when you are surrounded by turkeys.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
But the result is the same. All the time and money that RA spent on developing Mark from a schoolboy and first chance he gets he bolts for the door

Just my opinion but I personally think that's quite poor

Fam there will be almost no non-tight five player in Rugby Union that achieves state level selection that won't receive some sort of League offer.

It's ok to be disappointed, but this descent into hyperbole is not becoming of a rational individual not blindingly drunk or under 15.

rugbyAU

Nev Cottrell (35)
Marika is apparently reconsidering retirement.

Mark’s a good player and I’d prefer to keep him more for what he brings to super rugby than the wallabies. But he’s not a huge loss to the national side.

But it’s repeated losses of the likes of Swinton etc that weakens the quality of super rugby which obviously flows on to the preparedness of our players to step up in test rugby.
He is a big loss to the national side, think that’s pretty obvious

HogansHeros

Syd Malcolm (24)
I can't blame him. I imagine being a part of that RWC squad was frustrating and embarrassing for the players. And he saw that RA did a lot of their veteran players dirty. No loyalty to Mike Hooper, Quade, Samu, Ikitau. Mark's playing at a World XV level as a winger and they then offer someone who has put zero time into the squad triple your salary, possibly as your replacement. Meanwhile the coach just quit/fired, the President got ousted, there's no certainty in management.

If I were him I'd be making the same move. Can't fly like an eagle when you are surrounded by turkeys.
This is it. RA is in shambles at the moment and a well organised club from the best run "rugby" comp in the world has offered you a spot for a little bit more money and you dont have to deal with all the mismanagement, id be jumping ship too...

Potentially will develop into an even stronger player at the Roosters under a better high performance set up and may (or may not) come back stronger...