• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

dru

Tim Horan (67)
But no way do I see our involvement in Super Rugby continuing to the end of the current agreement.

It's got me flummoxed. The current revenue sharing (Broadcast deal) runs to the end of 2025. The current Super deal NZ/RA runs to 2030.

I would have presumed that RA would ensure Rebels (5 team broadcast obligation) continues through to 2025. And I would have presumed that Waugh's closeness to international rugby and the Sydney club scene, would lead to the intent of a condensed Aus Super scene to 20230 and a push to something involving at least quasi pro from the interested SRU clubs + whatever else they could rustle for a nominal National scene. Call it dru-conspiracy#1.

BUT if the Rebels do actually owe an uncovered $9m I can't see RA taking it on given everything else that is going on. I could see some compromise from RA over the sporting bling that the Vic govt wants (if in deed they are still minded that way) along with some form of support for the Rebels. But politics in Victoria is not the same as it was when they were bidding for international rugby previously. If govt funding proves to be a pipe dream there is a moment of truth coming.

There is no future that is not improved with a surviving Rebels.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
understand

but two questions arise given they are in administration, that decision is up to the administrator, not Waugh. second moving forward past 2024 if only four teams in 25 how does this affect the next media deal.

I dare say that negotiations will take place for the next tv deal this yr & if RA go with Fairfax/9 again that any short fallings from 2025 will be worked into the next deal.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
While I agree with your sentiment whole heartedly, especially regards removal from Super Rugby, I am just unsure how you fund a domestic competition, you would need at least 2 new teams and maybe a continuation of the Drua, but where does the money come from, what is the plan.
If I had a spare $100m floating around I'd have a crack. Unfortunately I don't.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
If it were $1m it's hard to see why RA and the Rebels weren't able to resolve it without VA.

Why should RA provide the assistance rather than the Rebels fund it via a bank loan?

If the Rebels go into administration I reckon you'll see RA swoop in so they can take back the license.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
While I agree with your sentiment whole heartedly, especially regards removal from Super Rugby, I am just unsure how you fund a domestic competition, you would need at least 2 new teams and maybe a continuation of the Drua, but where does the money come from, what is the plan.
There is a lot of confusion, a domestic comp by it's name excludes Drua doesn't it, or it is just s reduced international comp?;)

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Agreed, too hard to fund.

OK, just a note to a new poster - there are literally hundreds if not thousands of pages on this site where the matter has been discussed (I'm being polite) in detail - you will find a lot of support, and heaps of vehement disagreement. If you are going to drop comment on the matter please do some digging into the background here before restarting things that most are utterly tired of the well-trotted argument for both sides.

I'm going to repeat some very minor points (my well trotted argument that bores the pants of many):

1. Super is a consistent down-trend on every performance parameter from Wallabies, to funding, to sport engagement.
2. Every successful sporting/football code in Australia is domestically based.
3. The most engaged Super was Super Au in spite COVID.
4. Funding issues start with content. Reduce teams reduces funds which means you again need to reduce teams. Reducing teams in order to condense rugby talent INCREASES cost. Cost up income down. It is known as the great RA shrink to greatness fallacy (policy if you prefer).
5. A domestic competition increases content which increases funding. It does come with an immediate overall reduction of on the field rugby quality. And yes that impacts funding and that balance is key. The balance as it is is a palpable fail.
6. The intent is to invest in structure and pathways in order over time and a competitive environment on the field to improve quality. When this was initially proposed there were howls of protest "we could drop to the bottom of the top 10 in the world!" Guess what? Now we will do it tougher. Every year that kick the ball down the street, it continues that down trend and increases the difficulty in making necessary change.
7. A major issue in current Super is lopsided sport between NZ and AUs. NZ doesn't like it nor do we. A relatively competitive comp has larger impacts on broadcast income than lower quality but more balance.

You say "harder to fund" (domestic comp) what is actually proven is the difficulty in funding Super.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

Why should RA provide the assistance rather than the Rebels fund it via a bank loan?

If the Rebels go into administration I reckon you'll see RA swoop in so they can take back the license.
With the related debt they are already servicing it via a loan, there’s a point where the organisation is trading insolvent though. You can just keep taking on more and more in debt to fund operating costs. It becomes increasingly expensive to fund the debt servicing.

I think this is the likely outcome.
And take on another $9million in debt against RA?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I think this is the likely outcome.

The ARU has committed to cull either the Rebels or the Perth-based Western Force as part of a revamp of the competition for next season.

This statement is published without reference. Does anyone know anything about it?

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
The ARU has committed to cull either the Rebels or the Perth-based Western Force as part of a revamp of the competition for next season.

This statement is published without reference. Does anyone know anything about it?
It's from 6 years ago, when RA agreed to drop to 4 teams in super rugby and spent months trying to work out whether it was the Rebels or the Force that got cut. As much as the Rebels current troubles might bring back memories of that period I don't think we need to relitigate those decisions

dru

Tim Horan (67)

It doesn't really matter, Ignoto and I'd be happy however the RA played it - all I'm saying is that it aught be a relatively easy fix. If it is $9m, well that's different.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
And take on another $9million in debt against RA?
No I was thinking more of letting them fold and then taking back the license. Whether that means the RA Rebels re-emerge or they just disappear is what I'm not sure of.

Last edited:

Members Section

John Thornett (49)

I see you point especially since RA are millions in debt themselves but what bank is going to give the rebels a loan.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Now that I have had a better look at it the acronym ARU would suggest its a headline from the Pulver era
That and the big yellow banner at the top of the article saying it's more than 6 years old:
1706233721918.png

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
yeah I know, I hadn't actually read it, I was just commenting on ignotos post. Have read it in the interim. I was coming back here in between tasks on a course I just started so wasn't entirely focused. Onto Australia Day celebrations

Last edited:

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
It's got me flummoxed. The current revenue sharing (Broadcast deal) runs to the end of 2025. The current Super deal NZ/RA runs to 2030.

I would have presumed that RA would ensure Rebels (5 team broadcast obligation) continues through to 2025. And I would have presumed that Waugh's closeness to international rugby and the Sydney club scene, would lead to the intent of a condensed Aus Super scene to 20230 and a push to something involving at least quasi pro from the interested SRU clubs + whatever else they could rustle for a nominal National scene. Call it dru-conspiracy#1.

BUT if the Rebels do actually owe an uncovered $9m I can't see RA taking it on given everything else that is going on. I could see some compromise from RA over the sporting bling that the Vic govt wants (if in deed they are still minded that way) along with some form of support for the Rebels. But politics in Victoria is not the same as it was when they were bidding for international rugby previously. If govt funding proves to be a pipe dream there is a moment of truth coming.

There is no future that is not improved with a surviving Rebels.
This is totally dependent on all the cards falling correctly, the Wallaby's improvement must be obvious this year so that support from Lions supporters stays strong, Super Rugby teams all lift as they are the link to make it all work, and they are all facing some form of a debt problem that can only be fixed by more success bringing in more supporters. The clubs, schools and academies all need to lift as well so that a decent feeder is in place for Super Rugby teams.
If all this happens the need to rationalise won't be necessary, if not I suspect anything can happen and will involve some level of shrinking to suit finances.

Reactions: dru

dru

Tim Horan (67)
We'll need something to take to Foxtel. I suggest we all get behind RA (rationality still required) as:
'now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of the' Union

I will not be supporting shrink to greatness 2.0 in any way, shape or form. Even self inflicted buy the Rebels management. Any more than my refusal to support shrink to greatness 1.0. RA need to be very clear with the intent and planning to get my support. Huge scepticism is called for on the back of everything they have "achieved" in Super and recently how they have led the management of the Wallabies. What a fucking shit-show. We are well past trusting a bloke turning up saying "I'm from RA and I'm here to help." (paraphrasing Reagan)

As you say, If they get that rationale right, I'm in. Full hog.

I'm not particularly hopeful or optimistic.