• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It be nice if Queenslanders could attend their test match considering Queensland is the spiritual heartland of rugby in this country and we always get duped on test match calander because we don’t have the stadium infrastructure to compete with Melbourne, Sydney etc

Nothing to do with stadium infrastructure, but rather deals being arranged by the respective state governments.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Nothing to do with stadium infrastructure, but rather deals being arranged by the respective state governments.
It’s part of the parcel, stadium size plays a role in how much state governments value economic output of an event.

State Govts paying to host a capacity event at the Gabba is going to return less locally then a capacity event hosted at the MCG.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It’s part of the parcel, stadium size plays a role in how much state governments value economic output of an event.

State Govts paying to host a capacity event at the Gabba is going to return less locally then a capacity event hosted at the MCG.

True, but with the exception of a rare Lions and Bledisloe game at the 'G the Melbourne test matches are usually played at AAMI Park or Marvel.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
If playing your marquee games at a time which inconveniences your main supporter base is apparently the logical way to run a successful sport now, I look forward to the NRL announcing State of Origin is to be played on Friday night this year at the same time as Penrith v Broncos.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Also, Italy in 2017... in Brisbane...

All three June tests that year had Saturday 3pm kick offs.

Last edited:

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If playing your marquee games at a time which inconveniences your main supporter base is apparently the logical way to run a successful sport now,

Now maybe timing it with the final round of club rugby is poor planning but in general I think we should be playing more afternoon games.

The Waratahs have no home afternoon games this season which is disappointing as it means it isn't feasible to take my small children along. Likewise, the Waratahs women have played curtain raisers rather than stand alone matches at Concord Oval on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon which I attended last year with my daughter.

In terms of making the game more accessible to new fans, part of that should surely be so existing fans can bring their kids along. The easiest fans to add are surely family members of existing ones.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Now maybe timing it with the final round of club rugby is poor planning but in general I think we should be playing more afternoon games.

Agree, I have a young family and also enjoy arvo game - but in this case was Sunday not an option? If RA are so confident in scheduling a Wallabies test to clash with the final round of club rugby, surely they'd be willing to chance their arm at a Sunday game.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Agree, I have a young family and also enjoy arvo game - but in this case was Sunday not an option? If RA are so confident in scheduling a Wallabies test to clash with the final round of club rugby, surely they'd be willing to chance their arm at a Sunday game.

I think Sunday would be far less palatable to the broadcaster going up against a FTA NRL game.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
6 Nations are routinely played in the afternoon…. Still do well into the professional age
It's a different level of supporter though, majority can't get tickets so every pub in the country is packed for the games.

They have started playing some Friday night games though.

Also think the format is the biggest difference, every game is vital.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
If playing your marquee games at a time which inconveniences your main supporter base is apparently the logical way to run a successful sport now, I look forward to the NRL announcing State of Origin is to be played on Friday night this year at the same time as Penrith v Broncos.
You are making the wrong comparison - the analogy to your loig example there would be to schedule the Test Match at the same time as the Reds v Tahs game. The equivalent for the clash in league would be the Burleigh Bears v the Ipswich Jets.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
You are making the wrong comparison - the analogy to your loig example there would be to schedule the Test Match at the same time as the Reds v Tahs game. The equivalent for the clash in league would be the Burleigh Bears v the Ipswich Jets.

It was more a tongue in cheek commentary around how the NRL understands their showpiece event needs to be the focal point of viewership and ensure everyone can watch.

Whereas rugby don’t seem to care about catering to their core audience.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
That’s not remotely the same. It’s like NRL putting state of origin the same time Burleigh bears plays North’s. Other than having a community name in common the rugby clubs aren’t remotely like Penrith or Broncos

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
That’s not remotely the same. It’s like NRL putting state of origin the same time Burleigh bears plays North’s. Other than having a community name in common the rugby clubs aren’t remotely like Penrith or Broncos

See my comment above mate. I understand that. Was having a bit of a laugh at rugby expense.