• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
What is the full story behind tiwggy and his family saving the force? was due to West Aussie patriotism, or does he actually love rugby?

he bought RM williams the clothing brand.

Now I’m no rocket scientist but there’s some synergy with private schools/regional folk and this iconic Aussie fashion brand.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
If we are really going to be losing another team or 2 in near future - I say

Blow it up
Let our marquee players walk and scrap our eligibility laws
Reinvent a national rugby comp for u23s, link it to university to provide pathways for players (post rugby) & then just keep Queensland and New South Wales for a origin style triple header each year.

Tazzmania

Tom Lawton (22)
What is the full story behind tiwggy and his family saving the force? was due to West Aussie patriotism, or does he actually love rugby?
From 2017:

"I stand completely with and behind Western Australia to keep the Western Force thriving, not surviving, absolutely thriving in Western Australia and in the national rugby scene."

"It's not just me, it’s people who support me, who I support right across the broad spectrum of Western Australia, who are proud of the Western Force, proud of what’s been achieved, recognise that we can be so much better and are not going to let us be snuffed out when we’re just starting to excel."

Forrest said his love for rugby was his only motivation for putting his hat in the ring.

"I love the game, I love the community-building spirit," he said.

"I love the fact it adds diversity of sport in Western Australia. I particularly respect the collegiality which rugby brings to any community it’s part of."

"I, as a proud Western Australian, have their backs," he said

and a bit more:

"I was not a great rugby tragic, I was just a supporter of rugby," he said.

"But when I saw kids weeping on television and kids weeping at games that they'd lost the side they hoped to play for, I though 'oh I've got to step in here'."

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think there might be a little too much pessimism here. RA is going to make bank from the Lions and 2027 world cup and the professional game here will continue for a while yet. A couple of years ago RA were suggesting they'd have $100 million to invest post 2027. Even if that proves to be a little optimistic, they're clearly going to be in a decent position.

Sure, there won't be another sugar hit for a long time after that, but there's a few other things in the pipeline that will increase revenues, particularly the Nations Championship starting in 2026. Add to that the Club World Cup and ANZAC Bledisloe that Dan Herbert suggested recently could be on the cards.

Growing revenues at the Super Rugby/2nd tier level is a huge challenge - and new ideas are probably needed, but the 2nd tier will never have to be entirely self sufficient given how much the international game brings in.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Revenue is going to increasingly be a challenge as private equity involved with other national teams looks to maximize their own revenue, at the expense of other nations.

1716778973984.png

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Read a long and detailed article about Baseball in the US.

It seems Baseball is on decline with falling ratings and crowds. I don't think it's in any short or even medium term danger but the trend lines and forecast are not good.

All sorts of things are being talked about speeding up the game and maybe some rule changes.

However, what stood out for me and with our limited exposure and team numbers was the thing that scares the Baseball folk is the lack of young fans essentially they as a code are not replacing people, as they move on.

Equally they don't know how to reverse it and engage a younger audience.

Effects us as well I think

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Revenue is going to increasingly be a challenge as private equity involved with other national teams looks to maximize their own revenue, at the expense of other nations.

View attachment 19033
That's the dumbest thing I've read outside of the league of nations.

Guarantee they're drastically over estimating how much people want to go see the AB's or Boks smash the "Super Team" which will be missing it's International Stars. There's a reason why people go to the Lions and its because its so rare.

I can't speak for Kiwis, but given the huge difference in time zones, you'd be looking at 3 consecutive weeks of games starting at 10pm (and Im sure most will be after that) local time.

Tazzmania

Tom Lawton (22)
A long way still to go:

"One factor in getting the go-ahead is that Australia and Argentina would have to agree to play a truncated Rugby Championship in tour years.

Robinson confirmed that talks were underway to look to make the tours possible but also admitted that there is some way to go until official confirmation... " As per Planet Rugby

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
A long way still to go:

"One factor in getting the go-ahead is that Australia and Argentina would have to agree to play a truncated Rugby Championship in tour years.

Robinson confirmed that talks were underway to look to make the tours possible but also admitted that there is some way to go until official confirmation... " As per Planet Rugby
Well while RA is in a position of weakness with no bargaining power what so ever NZ is always going to push for what's best for them. Another reason RA needs to sort there sh@t out.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
They have veto power over this tour proposal. It's actually a huge amount of power. NZ and SA are going to have to come up with $$$ (probably) or it's not happening
Make them pay Arg and Aus the ca$h, then ...

... invite Japan and Fiji to make up the RC 4-nations.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
They have veto power over this tour proposal. It's actually a huge amount of power. NZ and SA are going to have to come up with $$$ (probably) or it's not happening
They will have no veto power, the way RA is going they will owe NZ by then and won't be able to say no.

They are going to break the participation agreement for 2025. nZ will hold it over them moving forward.

Marce

Greg Davis (50)
Like that other member of SANZAAR
Yeah but the other member has always been the little fish in the fishbowl. Australia is the 2 times world champion in this sport.

If you compare both nations in the inaugural 2003 RWC game:
gettyimages-2577641-612x612.jpg

Who has climbed and who has descended in the last 20 years? Argentina used to watch the Tri Nations on TV and was smashed by the Wallabies every time they played. Now they are a SANZAAR member and beat the Wallabies and Junior Wallabies often

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Who has climbed and who has descended in the last 20 years? Argentina used to watch the Tri Nations on TV and was smashed by the Wallabies every time they played. Now they are a SANZAAR member and beat the Wallabies and Junior Wallabies often
And still ignored….