• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
The Canberra Times reported he is doing special exercises to combat opponents who target him at the breakdown, where he is such a brilliant and game-changing operator.

Pocock said: "I'm hoping I can get it strong and healthy again. It's feeling good [at the moment] but I haven't done contact for a while. I've been pain free for a few weeks now, but we'll see how we go when I get back into contact."

This is such a bizarre paragraph to read in this day and age. Our star player is doing special work to protect his neck, where opponents target him. WTF

What are the chances that Poey makes it all the way to a world cup final?

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Izzy has signed with Tahs and Wallabies for another 4 years to the next world cup.

Reportedly a pay cut, and more obligations.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...-a-cost-for-israel-folau-20190208-p50wgh.html
Folau remains a huge drawcard among children - he is the first face you see in the Waratahs new-season pitch for junior rugby players - and a beloved role model in the Pacific Islander community.

He is also part of a strategy to lock down a small group of players around which Australia can build their next World Cup squad.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Izzy has signed with Tahs and Wallabies for another 4 years to the next world cup.

Reportedly a pay cut, and more obligations.

Presumably he'll have less slightly obligations from a marketing perspective because he's no longer the face every sponsor wants associated with their brand.

Also apparently Folau was paid from the same guy until halfway through last year.. then was dropped. Pretty easy to guess why.

Folau was paid by a different benefactor (the Salteri family).

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
So, by my crude calculations that's a net win for the Tahs/Wallabies.

Best outside back signs for another 4 years for less than market value.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
So, by my crude calculations that's a net win for the Tahs/Wallabies.

Best outside back signs for another 4 years for less than market value.

Without doubt it's a win. It seems like he is only missing out on the final part of his contract that was paid by a third party though so it's not saving RA or the Waratahs any money.

Of course if that same family decided to put their money behind a different player that would be of benefit in retaining a key Wallaby.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I don't see the benefit in signing him for 4 years. It sends a message to other players that he's got a spot until 2023, I think it will push some talent OS.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I don't see the benefit in signing him for 4 years. It sends a message to other players that he's got a spot until 2023, I think it will push some talent OS.

This is the reality though. If you want to sign key players you need to offer them good contracts because that's what you're competing with overseas.

The highest profile players get the best offers and also want certainty which generally means they're after a longer contract.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)

The only message it sends is that if you are a world class player, you can expect to earn world-class money.

And if you cannot earn it here, then maybe you will decide to move to where the money is.

BTW, even with his latest shenanigans, Izzy earns far more for the "rugby" brand in Australia than any other player.

He is the most visible and well known of our playing group. That is worth money, in this day and age.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
The issue, I believe, is the length of the contract. Players age, form dissipates, injuries happen. Younger players surpass them. It is a very "brave" decision to sign the likes of Izzy and Hooper to four or more year terms.

Reactions: dru

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The issue, I believe, is the length of the contract. Players age, form dissipates, injuries happen. Younger players surpass them. It is a very "brave" decision to sign the likes of Izzy and Hooper to four or more year terms.

This is the reality though. If you want to sign that player who commands big offers from many places then you're going to pay a lot more if you're only willing to offer them two years.

So if the question becomes offering them a 2 year contract for 75% of the total cost of a 4 year contract for 100% of the cost then what is the better option?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I'd still go with the shorter, more expensive option BH. Eggs and baskets kind of thing. And anyway, if the next two years are the best the players offer, than isn't it still value to pay them over the odds for those years and let the outyears take care of themselves depending on the players form and assessed longevity then?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'd still go with the shorter, more expensive option BH. Eggs and baskets kind of thing. And anyway, if the next two years are the best the players offer, than isn't it still value to pay them over the odds for those years and let the outyears take care of themselves depending on the players form and assessed longevity then?

Then how many more important players do you lose over the next two seasons because you don't have the cash available to keep them because you've committed more funds to keep your best players right now?

They've got a set amount of money to work with. Longer contracts provide the risk that you're going to get less value out of some of them in the last year or so but you're also committing to paying the player less money each year.

If you work with shorter term, higher dollar contracts you are spreading your resources across less players each year and will lose more key players overseas.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
And Payments too players isn't going down, they are going up so what was high now for 2 years could be double in 2 years time.. paying Hooper 750k for the next 2 years then 2 million for the 2 after that seems stupid if you could just pay him 4 million for the 4 years.

People say that it gurantee's no one else will get the position, but if someone is clearly better then him, they will either play both like now (2 best players in our team) or Hooper will get dumped.

Michael Hooper is coming into the Prime years of his career, we want him staying around.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Lets not kid ourselves, Izzy would get far more money overseas. Locking him down for four years is cracking business.

Same goes for just about any of our key Wallabies.

Hell, we could go even longer. I wouldnt have any real issue singing dudes like Tupou onto really long contracts.

Plus, Queensland have firmly established that big money contracts don't dictate playing time.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I wouldnt have any real issue singing dudes like Tupou onto really long contracts.

Tupou was already signed for three years last year (until the end of 2020). I absolutely think they'll be trying to sign him to at least another three year deal fairly early next year to take him through to the 2023 RWC.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
The thing is Izzy isn't going anywhere. His wife is a pro athlete and want to play professionally in Australia. Maybe there's a chance she will retire and give him more flexibility to move OS.

I've come around to the Hooper signing, he's young enough to still be at the top of his game in four years.

Anyway it's done now so I just have to hope he keeps playing at the high level he has most of his career.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
The thing is Izzy isn't going anywhere. His wife is a pro athlete and want to play professionally in Australia. Maybe there's a chance she will retire and give him more flexibility to move OS.

You could say the same for Matt To'omua, but it didn't stop him from leaving.

With short career windows and big $$$ on offer O/S, I don't think you can assume anything about what people will and won't do.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)

I've come around to the Hooper signing, he's young enough to still be at the top of his game in four years.

Anyway it's done now so I just have to hope he keeps playing at the high level he has most of his career.
There's 16 league teams that would have him

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
You could say the same for Matt To'omua, but it didn't stop him from leaving.

With short career windows and big $$$ on offer O/S, I don't think you can assume anything about what people will and won't do.

Wasn’t part of the factor in Matt’s move that his wife got a contract to play professionally, in a higher caliber competition, overseas?

Actually, since that period overlaps with the last time I really cared a lot about the Wallabies, I am certain of this.

Bit different from someone playing a different sport where the only major market is in Australia