• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Over the past two weeks Folau has proved my previously made points perfectly. We (Rugby) never needed to take any action against him, just nod and say righto Israel, that's your opinion you can have it. Please just keep it to yourself mate and let be. You know he won't because the fundamentalist mind is incapable of doing so. RA decided to sign him knowing exactly what he is so they chose to live with that.

No, all they had to do was let time and the fundamentalist mouth run along and he was always going to do what he has done, and show to all and sundry he is, like fundamentalists of all stripes, incapable of any thought that challenges their deeply held (fundamentalist) beliefs. Do we really need to (verbally) fight them when they are not inciting criminality or violence or just allow them to do what he has done and make fools of themselves and bring themselves into disrepute.

Beautiful thing free speech, it has given him a case before the court which is still a 50:50 prospect as to who wins, and has now allowed him to destroy what little credibility he had from anybody not of the same fundamentalist mindset and that second part was always going to happen because he was always going to deliver the sermons he has been doing.

If it is not immediately clear, my POV still hasn't changed, RA did not need to take action, in fact going back they should not have signed him at all if they could not put real clauses into his actual contract. Codes of Conduct are a crock of shit, ephemeral and open to challenge/interpretation and difficult to make binding. All that is obvious and not just in hindsight. This is what comes from Bankers being in management, all short term, immediate results. The fall out is for the next CEO/manager to get through, I'll take my bonus before the shit hits the fan.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Over the past two weeks Folau has proved my previously made points perfectly. We (Rugby) never needed to take any action against him, just nod and say righto Israel, that's your opinion you can have it. Please just keep it to yourself mate and let be.

Meanwhile, in the real world.........

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
For someone claiming to be so enamoured with saving peoples souls, he does seem pretty determined to get himself sent to the Fourth Circle.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Meanwhile, Raelene tells us that the code is not in crisis, the administration’s performance had been unfairly maligned by the Wallabies’ lacklustre performance at the World Cup, and that winning hides a multitude of sins. (The Australian, today)
So it's just as well we got bundled out of the RWC. Must have been the strategic plan all along.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
What is she supposed to say? There are quite a few positives around, if you choose to see them. The participation by girls and women, and the rise of some very impressive juniors are two of them.

Chubby turned out to be a disaster, but that was a very slow train wreck with the benefit of hindsight. Folau was the sort of mistake that should not have happened, but knowing what I know about the circumstances ( and none of us has a perfect view) I would have been inclined to take him at his word. He has been picked in a few World XVs over the years, and on his day and at his best he is a match-winner. He is also - or was - Australian rugby's most recognisable face, and was hugely important in the image of our game for the whole of his career. Like it or not, he was extremely valuable property for Australian rugby.

I come back to the old question. Who on earth should the Board have appointed to the job that Castle is in now? The sad truth is that nobody who is good enough would want to take it on, it is all risk and very little upside.

What do you want from her? Sackcloth and ashes? Public flagellation? The stocks?

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
What is she supposed to say? There are quite a few positives around, if you choose to see them. The participation by girls and women, and the rise of some very impressive juniors are two of them.

Chubby turned out to be a disaster, but that was a very slow train wreck with the benefit of hindsight. Folau was the sort of mistake that should not have happened, but knowing what I know about the circumstances ( and none of us has a perfect view) I would have been inclined to take him at his word. He has been picked in a few World XVs over the years, and on his day and at his best he is a match-winner. He is also - or was - Australian rugby's most recognisable face, and was hugely important in the image of our game for the whole of his career. Like it or not, he was extremely valuable property for Australian rugby.

I come back to the old question. Who on earth should the Board have appointed to the job that Castle is in now? The sad truth is that nobody who is good enough would want to take it on, it is all risk and very little upside.

What do you want from her? Sackcloth and ashes? Public flagellation? The stocks?

The upside to her job includes the very generous salary ($760,000 IIRC) and international travel. And, if it really interests her, attendance at all the Wallaby matches.
What I want (not just from her) is a root-and-branch clear out of the whole Board. States to find a way to put every single position up for re-election. Raelene could stand for her old job as the other Board members could.
A full disclosure of the candidates. No influence from Clyne in his role of nominations gatekeeper.
Public debate about the pros and cons of the candidates.
Full disclosure of the voting process and results.
Then we can move forward with a more united rugby community.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
So what you're asking for is something she has absolutely no control over.

And from this morning's comments, something she has zero interest in facilitating.
Whilst I'm not familiar with the world of CEO's from what I read in the press I assume if a CEO wants to energise the public around his or her actions they will find a way of doing it.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
And from this morning's comments, something she has zero interest in facilitating.
Whilst I'm not familiar with the world of CEO's from what I read in the press I assume if a CEO wants to energise the public around his or her actions they will find a way of doing it.

I'm not familiar with that world either, but wouldn't Raelene 'facilitating' a complete Board cleanout be the equivalent of me trying to facilitate my boss to resign and give someone else a go?

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
The upside to her job includes the very generous salary ($760,000 IIRC) and international travel. And, if it really interests her, attendance at all the Wallaby matches.
What I want (not just from her) is a root-and-branch clear out of the whole Board. States to find a way to put every single position up for re-election. Raelene could stand for her old job as the other Board members could.
A full disclosure of the candidates. No influence from Clyne in his role of nominations gatekeeper.
Public debate about the pros and cons of the candidates.
Full disclosure of the voting process and results.
Then we can move forward with a more united rugby community.

You do know this is completely unrealistic, don't you? There are processes in place for all of this. Castle went through the application process and was offered the job. If you want her to reapply then should RA just let everyone go and make them reapply for there roles too?
Clyne and the board is a slightly different issue. My understanding is that Clyne shouldn't have control over the nominations for the board. This needs to be looked at as there is a lot of self interest in the Chairperson having this much control and it could be illegal and could result in the loss of government funding.

dru

Tim Horan (67)

I don’t subscribe to the Australian so haven’t seen the presser that concerns you.

But I did read (same paper) a couple of days ago Stookes quoted as saying that Castle had opened up board nominations from outside of the nominations committee to allow the States to put forward nominations directly. This might not cover what you are chasing 100% but it’s the only thing we’ve seen so far that slightly de-fangs Clyne and his cronies.

I want the same thing more or less that you do. So far Castle seems the only individual heading that direction.

She has to get some recognition, surely.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Regardless of what you may think of Castle, the idea that she has any influence at all on who is on the board and what they do is non-sensical. She is employed by the board, and she reports to them.
The immediate problem is the board, which is a self promoting club, led by Clyne. Having previously led an organisation (NAB) which subsequently proved to have massive cultural problems, he has now presided over a very poor period for rugby, his leadership style probably exemplified by the lack of transparency, possible dishonesty and complete disregard for stakeholders displayed in the axing of the Force.
Unfortunately, the structure allows this clique to form their own protection, and replace themselves with their mates who will ensure this situation continues. Unless the State unions completely rebel against this, which is unlikely as too many of them are part of the same club, this situation will continue.
Fix the Board, and the CEO isn't a problem, as he/she will be appointed by, held accountable to and if necessary terminated by the board. That's their job.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Clyne has to involve himself in his replacement so he can ensure that they are as bad or worse than he was. That way he can not be shown up by his successor.

The problem he faces is that such a candidate may not actually exist.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
I don’t subscribe to the Australian so haven’t seen the presser that concerns you.

But I did read (same paper) a couple of days ago Stookes quoted as saying that Castle had opened up board nominations from outside of the nominations committee to allow the States to put forward nominations directly. This might not cover what you are chasing 100% but it’s the only thing we’ve seen so far that slightly de-fangs Clyne and his cronies.

I want the same thing more or less that you do. So far Castle seems the only individual heading that direction.

She has to get some recognition, surely.

Thank you - found the article.

Reactions: dru

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Clyne has to involve himself in his replacement so he can ensure that they are as bad or worse than he was. That way he can not be shown up by his successor.

He's probably doesn't care how the organisation actually performs under his successor. Even if the acrid smoke from the dumpster fire subsides slightly - well, Uncle Cam prepared the way, didn't he?

It's more a case of finding a friendly face. One that's not too inquisitive about digging under the carpet to look at Cam's foundations after he's gone.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It's more a case of finding a friendly face. One that's not too inquisitive about digging under the carpet to look at Cam's foundations after he's gone.

Is there anything to be gained from the next person doing this? It's not really like politics where there is a potential gain to be achieved by continuing to trash the other side.

RA needs to move on. Trying to unearth more issues from the past just prolongs the fallout from Clyne's tenure.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Is there anything to be gained from the next person doing this? It's not really like politics where there is a potential gain to be achieved by continuing to trash the other side.

RA needs to move on. Trying to unearth more issues from the past just prolongs the fallout from Clyne's tenure.
Besides trying to fix all the problems?