• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I read McLeans email as stating he is a good candidate and he would be willing to support him, however due process must go through and the other candidates opinions must be considered. Remembering it’s also been stated that several of the board members have never met him before. It’s a pretty neutral response that wouldn’t anger any side of the pendulum.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I read McLeans email as stating he is a good candidate and he would be willing to support him, however due process must go through and the other candidates opinions must be considered. Remembering it’s also been stated that several of the board members have never met him before. It’s a pretty neutral response that wouldn’t anger any side of the pendulum.

There is a lot that fans are going through right now, and while I realise that fans don't actually carry any weight on said pendulum, there is no output from any individual at RA for a few days can be said raises no anger.

None.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The ghost of Hawker and Pulver

Normal transmission has resumed

The ghost of JON is also hovering. Along with his apprentice.

13300095984_7b51ba1f62_c.jpg

Forceright

Allen Oxlade (6)
Be warned. If anyone is concerned regarding the process of due diligence NOT being done, you’ve only to see Rob Clarke’s appointment with a big red flag. How on earth has he managed to inveigle himself back into the board FFS! Does a Senate Inquiry and questions on his previous dodgy deals re the Rebels not raise any eyebrows? Seriously -RA imploding themselves at a rapid rate of knots!

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I’m sure I’m not the only one that this is making no sense to. The heads of all the states ex NSW say they support the board and McLean, but they don’t support captains picks basically, however the dialogue clearly shows McLean and Wiggs collaborating on said captains picks. So who’s authority was McLean acting on, if they aren’t viewing him as one of the ‘individuals or groups designating appointments’?

Also isn’t the hope that the voting unions turf the board out and start again? Seems like NSW are the only ones remotely contemplating that path.

It’s a proper circus that’s for sure.

Is it a fear of the SS old boys coming into power that might be influencing the other states KOB?

shanky

Darby Loudon (17)
If now is not the time, what the actual f circumstances are required?

Well, quite

The Board may well have given up the ghost, but getting them out is harder than it seems.

Hoping they all resign in a pique of self-disgust or embarrassment is probably a pipe dream.

In real terms though, most directors are not the problem. It's the 'few' who are the problem. We, the people, only need a minor revolution to happen, to get a more promising revolution.

sunnyboys

Bob Loudon (25)
This isn’t about who backs News/Fox... they all do. Optus is long gone. You can kiss that deal goodbye.

This was about keeping the Mosman Mafia out. And them handing out jobs for the boys. That was evident the moment Clyne left McLean (QLD) in charge and none of the QLD ex wallaby captains signed the “letter” - except Moore but he’s not really a QLDer anymore is he ... hahaha. McLean has quietly been working with the state and territory rugby chairs. They could see this corporate raid / coup for what it was.

Clarke is only a stop gap. Has said he isn’t applying for full time gig.

Hamish McLennan is coming in as Chairman in July. He will get to appoint the next CEO, after a proper process is followed, we hope!

McLennan has ties to both News and Network Ten.

McLean and Clarke need to steer RA through finalising the World Rugby loan, get the accounts signed and insolvency avoided, and hopefully get ready for some Super Rugby and Bled later this year.

Anything beyond that is for the next leadership team to solve.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Well, quite

The Board may well have given up the ghost, but getting them out is harder than it seems.

Hoping they all resign in a pique of self-disgust or embarrassment is probably a pipe dream.

Have I suggested this? If so apologies, my intention was that the Unions should take much better control of their votes.

Here's the thing, though - 6 months takes us through the broadcast negotiations, and the intentions of what the pro game looks like going forward. So we get locked in to a deal done by a short termer who has no downside to the shiteness of his decisions.

A bloke who already has shown his enthusiasm for, or at least acceptance of Shrink to Greatness.

Back to the shanky post - there is more than a pique of self digust. Much more. Still, I have little to argue with your suggestion that there is little to no self disgust within the board.

shanky

Darby Loudon (17)
Hi dru

Sorry, wasn't suggesting you'd said that.

It was more of a hypothetical about a legal scenario rather than anyone was suggesting it

Cheers

Reactions: dru

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
FYI non-subscribers to SMH:

"There were two theories running hot through the corridors of rugby power in the aftermath of the sudden departure of Peter Wiggs on Wednesday.

"The first, confirmed by multiple Rugby Australia board sources, was that Wiggs had sprung a leadership coup on Monday night and resigned when it failed.

"The second, posited by close associates of the Archer Capital co-founder, was that the financial horrors surfaced by the coronavirus shutdown and teased out by Wiggs's financial expertise, were of such a magnitude that he wanted out."

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...grand-plan-failed-to-win-over-rugby-australia

I'm really intrigued by the loan/ advance issue esp timing-wise: WR (World Rugby) announced the advance program on April 17 & while RA would've known it was coming, I doubt they'd have known about it early enough to factor it into the accounts they sent for audit. That suggests to me that it's a loan that was in the works much earlier which begs the question, why did RA need $16Mn of WR (World Rugby) money pre-Covid (or at latest before the full impact of Covid became known)?

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
This isn’t about who backs News/Fox. they all do. Optus is long gone. You can kiss that deal goodbye.

This was about keeping the Mosman Mafia out. And them handing out jobs for the boys. That was evident the moment Clyne left McLean (QLD) in charge and none of the QLD ex wallaby captains signed the “letter” - except Moore but he’s not really a QLDer anymore is he . hahaha. McLean has quietly been working with the state and territory rugby chairs. They could see this corporate raid / coup for what it was.

Clarke is only a stop gap. Has said he isn’t applying for full time gig.

Hamish McLennan is coming in as Chairman in July. He will get to appoint the next CEO, after a proper process is followed, we hope!

McLennan has ties to both News and Network Ten.

McLean and Clarke need to steer RA through finalising the World Rugby loan, get the accounts signed and insolvency avoided, and hopefully get ready for some Super Rugby and Bled later this year.

I think you need to do a bit more research into the 10 captains. McCall, Little and Sharpe are all Queenslanders, add Moore that’s 4/10. The only ones who played for NSW are NFJ, Kearns and Poidevin, both of Smith and Mortlock are from NSW but never played for the Tahs. And Gregan is true blue ACT.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Carroll has now apparently withdrawn his interest in the job, although it reads like he is just committing to the AOC for the next 3 months. In better news the $16m from WR (World Rugby) is apparently coming today.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Is it a fear of the SS old boys coming into power that might be influencing the other states KOB?

Just because people who live is NSW doesn't mean that they have anything to do with SS. Carroll for example has never had anything to do with SS, he came through subbies with Mosman, JON has a long-standing antipathy for SS, I've never heard of Wiggs being involved with an SS club - certainly not in the recent past.

Like many here, you seem to conflate NSW Waratahs with the SS which is a complete misreading of the situation.

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
Here's the thing, though - 6 months takes us through the broadcast negotiations, and the intentions of what the pro game looks like going forward. So we get locked in to a deal done by a short termer who has no downside to the shiteness of his decisions.

A bloke who already has shown his enthusiasm for, or at least acceptance of Shrink to Greatness.

Back to the shanky post - there is more than a pique of self digust. Much more. Still, I have little to argue with your suggestion that there is little to no self disgust within the board.

Exactly instead of the game focusing 100% on what the future can be, and how we could possibly get there. We look like getting some quick pay day loan, arranged by a bunch of people who will not be here in 12 months.

The most important thing for the game moving forward is what a genuine domestic competition is going to look like and how it can survive. yet all were getting is who sits on what side of the board table, ffs.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Exactly instead of the game focusing 100% on what the future can be, and how we could possibly get there. We look like getting some quick pay day loan, arranged by a bunch of people who will not be here in 12 months.

The most important thing for the game moving forward is what a genuine domestic competition is going to look like and how it can survive. yet all were getting is who sits on what side of the board table, ffs.

It could be argued that not taking the money, liquidating the whole thing and starting again would be the best thing for the game.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Just because people who live is NSW doesn't mean that they have anything to do with SS. Carroll for example has never had anything to do with SS, he came through subbies with Mosman, JON has a long-standing antipathy for SS, I've never heard of Wiggs being involved with an SS club - certainly not in the recent past.

Like many here, you seem to conflate NSW Waratahs with the SS which is a complete misreading of the situation.

OK, so it's the Waratahs who keep shitting in RA's nest. Sorry QH.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
It seems Roger Davis was the real backer of the Wiggs/Carrol takeover of RA, the other directors, while not opposed to Carroll, wanted due process. While some here have said we have to act quickly, we also have to go through the proper processes, this isn't a small private business. The history of the Tahs under Davis has been one of steady decline, he is one person who would be better right out of the running of the game.

I read GR's pieces in the SMH, she may be right, however it looks far more like Wiggs (who, I have to say, seems extremely competent) basically said you do it all my way or I'm out of here. If you look at his CV, he has basically spent most of his working life running his own show, so you can see where that attitude comes from. However, at RA you are not running your own show, you are managing the top end of the sport on behalf of thousands of stakeholders, and governance becomes crucial.

It seems Carroll has also taken the attitude that he will only take the job if it's handed to him, not if he has to go through proper processes. Again, everything I can research seems to suggest he's very competent, but to be appointed CEO on short notice without having even met half the board, I don't see how he thought that appropriate.

Interesting that Carroll also seemed to want to select his own boss! Happy to work under Wiggs or McLean, but if it's not one of them he's out.