• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
More detail on rugby.com.au here about the RA plans:

Rugby Australia broadcast offering
  • Trans-Tasman or Super Rugby AU competition
  • Super Eight series involving top two of Australian, New Zealand and South African teams and top Japanese and South American team
  • State of Union to be played between Queensland and New South Wales
  • National club championship
  • Shute Shield
  • Hospital Challenge Cup
  • Selected schools matches

I think this is an inpressive and well packaged offering - well done RA

lincoln

Bob Loudon (25)
Like Dane Rampe though, he never actually played AFL at school. LRT was actually in the Shore 1st XV I believe.

Rampe didn't start playing AFL at all until the end of high school.

Wicks has gone right through the Swans Academy but looks like all his junior AFL was with Manly.
[/quote]
I believe LRT also played for North Shore U18s (Shore had no AFL).
A friend’s son played AFL at Iggies and was a Swans rookie. What makes this one interesting is my friend played 1st XV at Iggies and made NSW Schoolboys 2nds.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
There have been a few. Lewis Roberts Thompson (Shore) (sic) was academy then had a long career with the seniors and Sam Wicks debuted for the Swans on the weekend also went to Shore.

Lewis Roberts-Thomson was number 8 in the Shore First XV in 2001, and he played rather well. He was also playing AFL somewhere at the time as well as doing an apprenticeship at the Swans. There was another Shore boy, Henry Playfair from Holbrook, at the same time as LRT who played for Geelong and the Swans. We mustn't forget Leo Barry from Riverview who saved the Swans' bacon a coupla times on the way to their 2005 flag.

Would you believe the Shore team of 2001 didn't give the ball to LRT for line kicks?

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
The Origin idea could work as a quasi Wallaby trial match as well, and I wonder if it might get a run this year if we can't organise a Wallaby warm-up game.

I'm coming around to the concept, just because it would be good to see combinations try and gel in a short space of time. You'd also be tempted to pick a guy like Swinton to bring some mongrel, in the same way guys like Dave Klemmer or Billy Moore used to get picked in league.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
The Origin idea could work as a quasi Wallaby trial match as well, and I wonder if it might get a run this year if we can't organise a Wallaby warm-up game.

I'm coming around to the concept, just because it would be good to see combinations try and gel in a short space of time. You'd also be tempted to pick a guy like Swinton to bring some mongrel, in the same way guys like Dave Klemmer or Billy Moore used to get picked in league.
Could think about an interchange bench if you wanted to send hitmen like Swinton out there to go crazy for 10 minutes.

Number 7

Darby Loudon (17)

At the moment the RA site defines the State of the Union game being between NSW and QLD which means that WA/VIC/ACT players would be excluded. I dont think the SoU game would be an effective wallaby trial given how many good players are coming out of those states right now. Unless Im missing something within the proposal.

For example: at the moment you've got Samu, Pone F, Hunter Paisami and Trevor Hosea theoretically qualifying for Vic (subject to criteria), all of whom have or will hopefully have Wallaby claims. How do you include these guys in trial matches?

Pone's Mullet

Dave Cowper (27)
At the moment the RA site defines the State of the Union game being between NSW and QLD which means that WA/VIC/ACT players would be excluded. I dont think the SoU game would be an effective wallaby trial given how many good players are coming out of those states right now. Unless Im missing something within the proposal.

For example: at the moment you've got Samu, Pone F, Hunter Paisami and Trevor Hosea theoretically qualifying for Vic (subject to criteria), all of whom have or will hopefully have Wallaby claims. How do you include these guys in trial matches?

To'omua, Also Valentini - that's a tasty Vic pack