• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
The call out to the clubs being resistant to the NRC is correct. But to be fair, I think the ARU didn't work to work with them too from my experience, they backed down too easily. Also that all added up to the same people who failed to run any other level of rugby well, running rugby at the NRC level. Not to mention the fancy boys trying to have fancy position titles and not doing anything.

The heads weren't in it by anyone. Rays were the only ones who held it together somehow.

The sad thing about the national club championship view is that the diversity we need at the club level will be lost and only the strong inner city/north shore clubs will survive. Good for them, but sad for hopes of Western Sydney etc ever being on a strong footing.

Yep for all the talk about the importance of western Sydney we still have the situation of bugger all done to support and grow rugby in this important region and very concerned NCC may only worsen this situation

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Yep for all the talk about the importance of western Sydney we still have the situation of bugger all done to support and grow rugby in this important region and very concerned NCC may only worsen this situation

At the end of the day it is basically up to the local rugby supporters to put their hands up and do a lot of the spadework. Grassroots rugby, as the name implies, grows from the ground up. Yes, it can be watered and fertilised from above. I am no gardener, but I do know that water and fertiliser grows nothing, unless there is the right soil, and the right seeds in place.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
NSW could have/should do some very fucking basic stuff like making all recruits not already affiliated with a club side align with a western suburbs club, that shit is super easy to do and sends a message to people

Also if you have clubs aligned to NRC teams you are more likely to spread the talent at club level.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
NSW could have/should do some very fucking basic stuff like making all recruits not already affiliated with a club side align with a western suburbs club, that shit is super easy to do and sends a message to people

I disagree. A player who lives, for example, on the northern beaches can not be forced to affiliate with, say, Penrith, unless it is an affiliation in name only.

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)
I disagree. A player who lives, for example, on the northern beaches can not be forced to affiliate with, say, Penrith, unless it is an affiliation in name only.

Most of the time it is only name

But what’s your reasoning behind that stance?

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)
They train with the Tahs and have to drive out there for games it’s not hard

it's not that hard to travel out west either, thousands of sydneysiders do it everyday

In the NRL the dragons train in wollongong despite their main field and office being in Sydney, the tigers move between Balmain and Campbelltown, Cronullas feeder club is Newtown, Manlys is Blacktown & the roosters feeder club is Wyong meaning players have to travel all the way up there to play

They're professionals for heavens sake

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Most of the time it is only name

But what’s your reasoning behind that stance?

1. I believe in club rugby, have played it and watched it and been a member for more years than I can count, just about. My club chose me, I happened to have been born in Eastwood.

2. If we want the best for our players, at all levels, they should be free to choose for whom they play, as a general principle. I assume that a lot of them will want to play for the team that is closest to their home.

3. Forcing players to travel long distances just for the sake of an affiliation is just weird. What is gained from this sort of involuntary relationship? The example I used is valid. If a player is a full time professional his first allegiance is to the elite team that he represents, would the Tahs, for example, want Hooper to attend training at Penrith a couple of times a week?

4. If a player is on the way up, what is gained by removing him from the district club for which he has played for a year or two, or longer and requiring him to travel long distances - at his own expense?

5. This sort of authoritarianism might work in some countries, but it would not work in Australia.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Cheers for the added sass, really added to your argument

it's not that hard to travel out west either, thousands of sydneysiders do it everyday

In the NRL the dragons train in wollongong despite their main field and office being in Sydney, the tigers move between Balmain and Campbelltown, Cronullas feeder club is Newtown, Manlys is Blacktown & the roosters feeder club is Wyong meaning players have to travel all the way up there to play

They're professionals for heavens sake
I have known blokes playing club Aussie rules drive 5 hours each way for a a grand a week in the country. In the AFL when Geelong were playing most of there games in Melbourne a lot of boys lived in Melbourne and drove to Geelong for training. Essendon’s reserves use to be in Bendigo. As you say pro athletes being made to travel to play is nothing new

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)
1. I believe in club rugby, have played it and watched it and been a member for more years than I can count, just about. My club chose me, I happened to have been born in Eastwood. More than fair, not advocating for anyone who already has an affiliation to a club to change, just ones like for example Rob Simmons who came from QLD

2. If we want the best for our players, at all levels, they should be free to choose for whom they play, as a general principle. I assume that a lot of them will want to play for the team that is closest to their home. They're employees, sometimes they have to do things theyre not going to 100% enjoy, again like every single other job on the face of the earth. As far as having to travel a little further in order to get paid well to kick a footy around, i think they'd be going ok

3. Forcing players to travel long distances just for the sake of an affiliation is just weird. What is gained from this sort of involuntary relationship? The example I used is valid. If a player is a full time professional his first allegiance is to the elite team that he represents, would the Tahs, for example, want Hooper to attend training at Penrith a couple of times a week? It's really not that far, from Moore Park to the Riff is about an hour, most people spend that long on a commute to work normally. As for whats to be gained? Growing the game of rugby is gained, helping create a level playing field, ensuring teams like Penrith arent a laughing stock, showing that NSWRU actually give a fuck about the area. They aren't paid to just play footy they're ambassadors for the code using your logic junior club visits should never occur because they are too far away for players to attend and their focus should be on the tahs. Using Hooper as an example is just horrible, he isn't required at shute shield training and was a junior there so of course he is entitled to stay at Manly. However if there were a fringe tahs player that moved from another state who lived in Manly, then yes they would be required to go

4. If a player is on the way up, what is gained by removing him from the district club for which he has played for a year or two, or longer and requiring him to travel long distances - at his own expense? Again advocating new players, not ones that already have an affiliation, as for at their own expense, its part of their job! Nobody else bitches and moans when they have to travel around for work, it's a requirement of the job

5. This sort of authoritarianism might work in some countries, but it would not work in Australia. Literally just listed like 5 scenarios withing NSW rugby league where the practice is commonplace, and even more strict than what i'm suggesting

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Gees I can see why Foxtel May be interested in club rugby as watching Sydney uni vs southern districts which entertaining game - I probably would watch more often but 7two a bit of out of mind out of sight channel

Too many rugby supporters are too parochial, unfortunately.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Gees I can see why Foxtel May be interested in club rugby as watching Sydney uni vs southern districts which entertaining game - I probably would watch more often but 7two a bit of out of mind out of sight channel

Yeah. It's a good game. I think there's potential in a hybrid club/rep model played in the post season. For sure. Something with the Top 4 clubs from Sydney and top 3 from Brisbane with an addition rep side from both competitions for players not affiliated with the participating clubs alongside a rep squad from each of Canberra, Melbourne and Perth. Twelve teams. 14 weeks. Could be good.