• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
rumored CEO short list is:

Andrew Jones
Chris White
Andy Marinos

I think they are working hard on Rob Clarke to stay too. Of the above, Jones most intrigues me but they seem to be all out about commercial outcomes at the moment, so suspect White may be a chance (being Brisbane based may be an issue though).

If they are looking commercially or even competently then Marinos should be cut asap.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

I wonder if they have a Western Sydney Strategy Document from 2001 that they just keep rolling out every year with a minor edit (change 2001 to 2002, change 2002 to 2003). ie all smoke and mirrors as for all the talk for so long about the importance of growing rugby in the Western Sydney Region - SFA been done.

If we get some Private Equity Investment money invested in the game and if Western Sydney still not prioritised for better support I am going to lose my rag.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
rumored CEO short list is:

Andrew Jones
Chris White
Andy Marinos

I think they are working hard on Rob Clarke to stay too. Of the above, Jones most intrigues me but they seem to be all out about commercial outcomes at the moment, so suspect White may be a chance (being Brisbane based may be an issue though).

Those with moderately long memories may recall - with pain and sorrow aforethought - that White, sitting on the QRU board in 2012, was positively instrumental in bringing Richard Graham to the Reds as HC in 2012.

Not only was this to prove one the greatest failures of competent rugby administration in the history of the modern game that set the Reds and QRU back decades and wholly eliminated the terrific commercial and rugby quality momentum of the Reds from 2011, it also possessed a bad odour of ethics and governance in that White's company, Quarterback International, was managing Graham's interests at the time and such was never properly disclosed until Graham was appointed.

Lest we forget.

Nonetheless, carefully considered and properly referenced competency, relevancy of track record, and a history of sound strategic judgement have never been the principal, or even especially important, criteria in selecting senior Australian rugby leaders. One of the reasons we are where we are in 2020.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
On Friday, The Daily Telegraph’s Ben Horne revealed Channel 7 chief executive James Warburton had delivered a scathing assessment of Cricket Australia’s management, calling it a “trainwreck” and the “most incompetent” administration he has ever worked with.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/crick...a/news-story/2e1e3d35ebda5cc0a9cb94e3de13f390

Sporting administrators are been made to earn their wage in 2020. If Ch 7 were to terminate CA broadcast agreement, it could be positive for rugby as Ch 7 are reportedly one of the broadcasters looking at the current rugby broadcast package.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Sporting administrators are been made to earn their wage in 2020. If Ch 7 were to terminate CA broadcast agreement, it could be positive for rugby as Ch 7 are reportedly one of the broadcasters looking at the current rugby broadcast package.

Mr Warburton has obviously never worked with RA.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
That he's even rumoured to be on a short list is concerning.
That’s true.
Jones has pedigree
This is also true.

If this is the actual shortlist and Jones doesn’t get the job then god help us.
Those with moderately long memories may recall - with pain and sorrow aforethought - that White, sitting on the QRU board in 2012, was positively instrumental in bringing Richard Graham to the Reds as HC in 2012.

Not only was this to prove one the greatest failures of competent rugby administration in the history of the modern game that set the Reds and QRU back decades and wholly eliminated the terrific commercial and rugby quality momentum of the Reds from 2011, it also possessed a bad odour of ethics and governance in that White's company, Quarterback International, was managing Graham's interests at the time and such was never properly disclosed until Graham was appointed.

Lest we forget.

Nonetheless, carefully considered and properly referenced competency, relevancy of track record, and a history of sound strategic judgement have never been the principal, or even especially important, criteria in selecting senior Australian rugby leaders. One of the reasons we are where we are in 2020.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)

Lest we forget.

At least he should have good international contacts after his international search, surely this will help in the future:)

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)

Not sure I agree that it was specifically that decision. There was a snowballing of poor ones after (especially coaching ones). I wasn't aware of the IQ management link (which if true stinks) and I certainly didn't support the hiring of Graham (poor record at all levels) but the succession planning was actually top notch. This is something not generally done well in the sporting world.

Long term success requires strong processes. Unfortunately, Graham wasn't the right guy but to set him up to work under McKenzie with Jim Mackay later adding Steve Meehan, Tony Darcy and Nick Styles to the mix was well done. The reappointment, sacking, co-head coaches and minimal support for a rookie coach were all much worse.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Mr Warburton has obviously never worked with RA.

Nice to see another sporting adminstration in the headlines that is not RA....been quite a few months since RA managed to play out internal self destruction politics...other stakeholders also behaving at the moment - indeed have not seen an Alan Jones rant for a while on RA.....

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Nice to see another sporting adminstration in the headlines that is not RA..been quite a few months since RA managed to play out internal self destruction politics.other stakeholders also behaving at the moment - indeed have not seen an Alan Jones rant for a while on RA...

Oh I think he has. He has simply stopped his radio talk back programme and now works through a Foxtel show 3 times a week. Don't think that reaches into the non-right media so much.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Gees thanks Dru! Now made sure I don't go near Sky News...

Alan Jones I note has indeed still been a negative Nancy when RA are actually doing positive things...his attack on the broadcast package they put out is yet again him refusing to acknowledge people trying to do positive things....see article below

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...alan-jones-show-bag-jibe-20200827-p55pyz.html

Such a shame Alan Jones has become such a waste of space to Rugby.