• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Tom Hooper is from Bathhurst and made Aus schools from there, which is where the Brums identified and signed him.

I don't count that as from Canberra.
Can confirm this and schooled at Stannies but played club for Orange City - or at least his brother Lachlan did - because believe it or not Bathurst Bulldogs can’t field junior sides. Another solid reason that more attention needs to be directed at the community programs.

Last edited:

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Was the high performance plan the thing Rod Kafer was supposed to deliver a few years back?

I guess you wouldn't expect more from a press release but it's so fucken light on detail about how they plan to achieve any of it.
It's light on detail because RA can't mandate this, they need to bring the states along with them. So Phil, or his representative, is going to have to sit through endless meetings where each of the states comes up with a different vision, and they all go round in circles for a few months (optimistically) until they more or less agree on the least worst option.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
It's light on detail because Rugby Australia can't mandate this, they need to bring the states along with them. So Phil, or his representative, is going to have to sit through endless meetings where each of the states comes up with a different vision, and they all go round in circles for a few months (optimistically) until they more or less agree on the least worst option.

It's been going on for 2 years.

Reactions: dru

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
People need to remember the governance structure in Australian rugby isn’t some all powerful dictatorship. If we remember back to the Covid lockdowns, where we had a situation where the federal government didn’t actually have the power to enforce measures and the power truly resided with the states. It’s a very similar situation with Rugby Australia. Yes Rugby Australia holds some leverage over the states in terms of financial support and been the owner of the most valuable product (the wallabies) but the states actually control the player base and are in full control of all the programs they decide to roll out. Currently RA can compel the states to do very little.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
People need to remember the governance structure in Australian rugby isn’t some all powerful dictatorship. If we remember back to the Covid lockdowns, where we had a situation where the federal government didn’t actually have the power to enforce measures and the power truly resided with the states. It’s a very similar situation with Rugby Australia. Yes Rugby Australia holds some leverage over the states in terms of financial support and been the owner of the most valuable product (the wallabies) but the states actually control the player base and are in full control of all the programs they decide to roll out. Currently Rugby Australia can compel the states to do very little.
That seems to be a big part of what is being restructured. Aren't the Wallabies the only profitable facet of rugby in Australia? The financial stick seems like a pretty easy one to wield.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
So we now have the following props who are signed next year and are foreigners.

Now I understand Hodgman and Eloff should be eligible next year and I am not sure about the Brumby props? Meanwhile the Rebels have three Wallaby THPs.

This is why the centralisation approach is important from a Wallaby development perspective.

QLD:
- Alex Hodgman (NZL)
- Peni Ravai (FIJ)
- Jeffery Toomaga-Allen (SAM)

NSW:
- Hayden Thompson (ENG)

Brumbies:
- Sefo Kautai (NZL)
- Fred Kaihea (NZL)

Rebels:
- Cabous Eloff (SAF)

Force:
- Atu Moli (NZL)
- Wilton Rebolo (Brazil)
- Santiago Medrano (Argentina)

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
People need to remember the governance structure in Australian rugby isn’t some all powerful dictatorship. If we remember back to the Covid lockdowns, where we had a situation where the federal government didn’t actually have the power to enforce measures and the power truly resided with the states. It’s a very similar situation with Rugby Australia. Yes Rugby Australia holds some leverage over the states in terms of financial support and been the owner of the most valuable product (the wallabies) but the states actually control the player base and are in full control of all the programs they decide to roll out. Currently Rugby Australia can compel the states to do very little.

RA hold the licenses to Super Rugby.

Clawhammer

Herbert Moran (7)
So we now have the following props who are signed next year and are foreigners.

Now I understand Hodgman and Eloff should be eligible next year and I am not sure about the Brumby props? Meanwhile the Rebels have three Wallaby THPs.

This is why the centralisation approach is important from a Wallaby development perspective.

QLD:
- Alex Hodgman (NZL)
- Peni Ravai (FIJ)
- Jeffery Toomaga-Allen (SAM)

NSW:
- Hayden Thompson (ENG)

Brumbies:
- Sefo Kautai (NZL)
- Fred Kaihea (NZL)

Rebels:
- Cabous Eloff (SAF)

Force:
- Atu Moli (NZL)
- Wilton Rebolo (Brazil)
- Santiago Medrano (Argentina)
Kaihea went to Erindale College - he's Canberran.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Brumbies and Waratahs are broke…

there were warning signs for Brumbies last year when they cashed out a large chunk of their long term lease to cover operating costs.

Waratahs I’d assume would be financially better off now having secured a new training and administration facility long term through government grant, surprising they’re still facing financial strain

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Being a one eyed rebel supporter, I find it interesting that these centralised contracts conversations are coming out now that it’s the tahs and brumbies who are in a pickle
I love a great anti-establishment narrative, but we're barely 6 years on from the Force being chosen as the one to cut because they signed up for the ARUs National Oversight shenanigans. No surprise it's taken half a decade to get to this point again.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I’ll keep saying it until it happens. Get rid of Super Rugby and start again. Everything, from zero. Just copy the NRL/AFL. Fuck sake it ain’t hard.

Sword of Justice

Bill McLean (32)
I’ll keep saying it until it happens. Get rid of Super Rugby and start again. Everything, from zero. Just copy the NRL/AFL. Fuck sake it ain’t hard.
I imagine just copying the nrl would be incredibly hard from our current position but yes we obviously need to transform the model.