• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
This is what is been referred to for those wondering;

Rugby walks away from $200M private equity planView attachment 17551
https://www.codesports.com.au/rugby-union/rugby-unions-broadcast-rights-value-tumbles-in-eyes-of-private-equity-firms/news-story/28eaccd6749c68e737e4c6b3c22c35e

Rugby Australia has decided against private investment after failing to secure the money they'd sought, understood to be between $150-200 million, in exchange for giving up to 20 per cent ownership of the game to investors.

Rugby Australia will now seek to raise up to $90 million of debt. Several lenders are understood to be willing to lend that money.

Private investors were not convinced that Rugby Australia will yield a significant increase on their next broadcast deal, from 2026 onwards.

The current agreement, worth around $33 million a year with Nine and Stan Sport, concludes at the end of 2025.

Rugby Australia chairman Hamish McLennan is adamant that major home events will deliver more than enough to revitalise rugby.

"We've paused on private equity and are executing a debt plan, as we couldn't provide enough accuracy around the next cycle of broadcast rights," McLennan toldNews Corp.

"With a men's and women's home World Cup in 2027 and 2029 as the centrepiece of our plans, we didn't want to undersell ourselves.

"The Matildas showed the incredible interest in home World Cups and rugby will be even bigger."

Already, moves are afoot for Rugby Australia to take over the running of the NSW Waratahs and Brumbies, who have been struggling financially for years.

It's understood there will be a streamlining of operations, leading to job losses.

But Rugby Australia faces stiff resistance from other Super Rugby clubs, who are happy for centralisation of the high performance rugby and strength-and-conditioning programs, but wary of a commercial takeover.

Waugh announced a centralised model had been agreed to by all clubs last month, but there is no signed agreement in place yet and the sticking point will be the control of the clubs' money and assets.
We may as well shut it down now. If we can’t raise money to compete we will fall further and further behind. The game is on death row here

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Cutting teams won’t make Australia competitive. It would in fact make us even less competitive as more Aussie talent would leave to play overseas

If kiwis really want to make Australians more competitive, allow player movement among all teams in Super Rugby
I actually agree with the player movement but if that doesn’t happen, having more teams won’t make the players better.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I actually agree with the player movement but if that doesn’t happen, having more teams won’t make the players better.

And from there the obvious response is separation. A successful comp requires a roughly equal distribution of talent to level the playing field. If it can't be done - locking the major clump of talent into selected teams - the next best solution is a roughly equaL playing field with lessor talent.

There is every reason to include some form of representation in a "Super" comp where the Aus teams are amalgamated/conjoined somehow, for a cross Tasman. Less effective perhaps, a Champions league scenario. But the key for a successful sport in Aus is a national game with national representation.

I agree with this :
A number of kiwis would actually like to have Australia be competitive again. Unfortunately, our fate is tied to Australia's for the foreseeable future and a weak Australia doesn't help NZ or make us better.

Unfortunately Kiwis rarely seem to cross over to more fully comprehend the Aus rugby issues, and even if they do, there is a natural anti-reaction to reduction in the qulaity of the Kiwi (Super) game. Which is fully understandable, hence the drive to separation.

But we've been here a billion times, haven't we? Leading to this:

Classic kiwis, wont miss an opportunity to suggest Australia should cut a team.

Probably the most fundamental statement about cross Tasman rugby right now, actually for years.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
That was more to point out that this “we really want to help Australian rugby” schtick is nonsense
I’ve wanted to see player movement across Super Rugby for years. Here’s a post from 2021.

IMO, NZ Rugby needs to make any NZ player eligible for the ABs so long as they are in Super Rugby.

IMG_4488.png

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
I mentioned the other day private equity was unlikely. So happy to be proven right on that.

One thing I do think that’s been mentioned in that article that will be incorrect is the tv revenue. I believe we are in for a solid rise in value. I think we will see a 50 to 100% increase, which at the end of the day isn’t huge money still but it will be much appreciated on RA end. There is just too much competitive tension this time round for live sport and more players than ever looking to attach their brand to something that will drive subscriptions. It’s inevitable Foxtel will have an attempt, if not just to drive Stan’s price up, Paramount and Optus are both in desperate need to diversify their sports options and Stan needs rugby otherwise Stan Sports might as well fold. So there is money to be had, however even 100% increase still isn’t enough money to properly compete with the other nations and sports.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
We may as well shut it down now. If we can’t raise money to compete we will fall further and further behind. The game is on death row here
Almost. We have a once in a generation golden opportunity to right the ship coming up. Officially that starts in 2025 however I believe it starts at 5am on Monday morning - we need to flog Wales so that we at least make it through to the quarters and start generating some interest in the sport.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I mentioned the other day private equity was unlikely. So happy to be proven right on that.

One thing I do think that’s been mentioned in that article that will be incorrect is the tv revenue. I believe we are in for a solid rise in value. I think we will see a 50 to 100% increase, which at the end of the day isn’t huge money still but it will be much appreciated on Rugby Australia end. There is just too much competitive tension this time round for live sport and more players than ever looking to attach their brand to something that will drive subscriptions. It’s inevitable Foxtel will have an attempt, if not just to drive Stan’s price up, Paramount and Optus are both in desperate need to diversify their sports options and Stan needs rugby otherwise Stan Sports might as well fold. So there is money to be had, however even 100% increase still isn’t enough money to properly compete with the other nations and sports.
Hope you’re right.

One of the problems they face right now is the fact Rugby don’t have casual fans that can drive up a price. The numbers Stan have at a WC time would be pretty much the lot. I’m not so sure the Lions are the bump they were in the early 2000s when even the most die hard League fan could still name the Wallabies and watched their games and most of the big Super 12 games.

RA need to chase players and prioritise winning as of right now. It’s the only way to bring in the extra eyes you need to get more money.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
A number of kiwis would actually like to have Australia be competitive again. Unfortunately, our fate is tied to Australia's for the foreseeable future and a weak Australia doesn't help NZ or make us better.
I reckon that number could be counted on the hooves of one sheep.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I reckon that number could be counted on the hooves of one sheep.
Most kiwis who don’t live here don’t realise how bad rugby is in Australia. They might know that rugby competes with the NRL but many have no idea how big AFL is or how rugby is not a part of most public school co-curricular or how even many club rugby players follow league more than they do rugby.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Most kiwis who don’t live here don’t realise how bad rugby is in Australia. They might know that rugby competes with the NRL but many have no idea how big AFL is or how rugby is not a part of most public school co-curricular or how even many club rugby players follow league more than they do rugby.

I’d also add that many kiwi rugby fans don’t recognise the looming threat of NRL. It’s making massive inroads in NZ and the growth of the NRLW will impact on NZ Women’s rugby also in the long term as it has Super W in Australia.

Reactions: dru

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I’d also add that many kiwi rugby fans don’t recognise the looming threat of NRL. It’s making massive inroads in NZ and the growth of the NRLW will impact on NZ Women’s rugby also in the long term as it has Super W in Australia.
Most kiwi fans have quite a good idea what a threat NRL is, and I not sure if it is as high now as it was in the 90s, when league relly went big over here. I live here and haven't noticed the massive inroads you are talking about.I know Warriors having a good run is getting support, and I don't really see it having a huge impact in the rugby heartlands here. There has for the last 30 odd years people that follow both sports, but the sport that's making a big impact here in NZ is actually basketball I think.
I agree NRLW will impct women's rugby, but not probably not as bad as RA's mainly because NZR have started making the women professional. and I think taking a freer approch about letting them even play in NRLW etc short term. Still biggest thing that will help is always the international part of rugby though.
Rugby here has had these sports that take attention away from rugby a lot over the years (regardless what press says in Aus) soccer was 'taking over' in 80s , but NZR are pretty good at keeping game at top of pile I think.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Most kiwi fans have quite a good idea what a threat NRL is, and I not sure if it is as high now as it was in the 90s, when league relly went big over here. I live here and haven't noticed the massive inroads you are talking about.I know Warriors having a good run is getting support, and I don't really see it having a huge impact in the rugby heartlands here. There has for the last 30 odd years people that follow both sports, but the sport that's making a big impact here in NZ is actually basketball I think.
I agree NRLW will impct women's rugby, but not probably not as bad as Rugby Australia's mainly because NZR have started making the women professional. and I think taking a freer approch about letting them even play in NRLW etc short term. Still biggest thing that will help is always the international part of rugby though.
Rugby here has had these sports that take attention away from rugby a lot over the years (regardless what press says in Aus) soccer was 'taking over' in 80s , but NZR are pretty good at keeping game at top of pile I think.
Agree. Every time the Warriors make the Top 4 (which I think is perhaps 3 times in the last 28 years??) it looks like the NRL is making in-roads in NZ. The reality is that a lot of Kiwis like and follow both codes and on the rare occasion the Warriors go really well, we finally have a reason to go as hard-out in support of them as we do for the ABs.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Yeah the ‘Up the Wahs’ thing isn’t going to have the same ring to it when they come 13th next year with a 34 year old halfback. They catch fire once a decade and have a nice run.

A team every year has a run in the NRL to the final 4.

Only issue Rugby will have in NZ will be NRL sides going after some individual talent to bring to Aus like Wong at the Roosters who was brought over at 15 and sent to Scots.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Only issue Rugby will have in NZ will be NRL sides going after some individual talent to bring to Aus like Wong at the Roosters who was brought over at 15 and sent to Scots.

I'd suggest that Adam has the rights of the bigger picture here.

Last edited:

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
The issue with no more private equity deal is we need the capital to invest into the game.

Without it we are going to struggle to capitalise on the Lions tour and WC. We need to beat the Lions, win a Bledisloe and win the World Cup at home.

Without the money upfront to invest into player development strengthening the grassroots and pathways I don’t see how any of that is achievable