• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
To play devils advocate.

It’s been reported previously that SANZAAR nations don’t want to give up the home & away structure that exists currently because they‘re worth more then a simple 6 team round robin. Also South Africa still holds considerable weight in SANZAAR/TRC through broadcast revenue, and for them Japan and Fiji add little. South African concerns with travel requirements was the reason the Sunwolves were forced to play out of Singapore in Super Rugby previously.

Japan‘s economic clout hasn’t yet translated into commercial success for tv rights in Japan for whatever reason, which is another massive hurdle when the existing partners are assessing whether to add them. If Japam offered enough to the pool of broadcast revenue, then it could offset the financial loss of the current home & away structure. Fiji dont bring any economic clout to the party, which means they’ll be relying on revenue growth in the exsisting markets to fund their entry.

Last edited:

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Sat down & had a good look at the AFL's new cba that went through wednesday. While alot of it is based around free agency & player movement they have significantly increased wages. The nrl normally follows but they wasted 2 yrs arguing over nothing, so we may get a couple of yr relief from the average player wage being alot unattainable for us.

Just interesting numbers the average afl wage will go to $519k & while we are not really competing for players in that field it may possibly if the NRLpa get their house in order which we could never match even with 5 teams compared to 17.

Where we are directly competing the average aflw wage will nearly double from 46k to 82k, they have 18 teams & will slowly go from 11 to 14 games a season, we cant even get 5 fully professional womens sides up & going & if your just outside the wallaroos squad your playing 4 games!

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
"ACT Brumbies chairman Matt Nobbs says the club is railing against centralisation to "fight for Canberra", slamming the lack of detail in the plan as unacceptable and a likely top-down approach as madness."

Brumbies also sold a large chunk of their pre-paid lease back to University of Canberra just to ensure have a cash balance to remain fiscally feasible in the short to medium term.

Long term however it means they will be potentially homeless as the proceeds of their previous land sale were used to fund the long term lease, which they’ve now sold back.

Surely Brumbies Chairman recognises there’s a need to centralise some aspects of the game to improve the standard and cut costs.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Sat down & had a good look at the AFL's new cba that went through wednesday. While alot of it is based around free agency & player movement they have significantly increased wages. The nrl normally follows but they wasted 2 yrs arguing over nothing, so we may get a couple of yr relief from the average player wage being alot unattainable for us.

Just interesting numbers the average afl wage will go to $519k & while we are not really competing for players in that field it may possibly if the NRLpa get their house in order which we could never match even with 5 teams compared to 17.

Where we are directly competing the average aflw wage will nearly double from 46k to 82k, they have 18 teams & will slowly go from 11 to 14 games a season, we cant even get 5 fully professional womens sides up & going & if your just outside the wallaroos squad your playing 4 games!
AFL is playing the long game. That will entice a lot of women in Aus. NRLW has made it clear they want a 17 team competition as well. Sadly I feel anyone in the Wallaroos now is almost someone the NRLW hasn’t wanted.

We say we aren’t competing for their talent but I think Aussie Rules want to get in on the Rugby talent. Over the last 20 years Aussie Rules teams have gone from maybe 2 in a School to 6-8 and their are a couple that would be playing 1st or 2nd XV footy.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
AFL is playing the long game. That will entice a lot of women in Aus. NRLW has made it clear they want a 17 team competition as well. Sadly I feel anyone in the Wallaroos now is almost someone the NRLW hasn’t wanted.

We say we aren’t competing for their talent but I think Aussie Rules want to get in on the Rugby talent. Over the last 20 years Aussie Rules teams have gone from maybe 2 in a School to 6-8 and their are a couple that would be playing 1st or 2nd XV footy.

& the funnier thing is no afl player next yr will earn what Joseph Sua'ali'i will

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
In one fell swoop McLennan managed to undermine or outright destroy any decent work he'd done by sacking Rennie and hiring Eddie. And, when faced with his abject failure, he blames the three remaining fans.

Truly, I would rather be a Tigers fan.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Some will say he has to look after his career but this is fucked if true.

How can you demand buy in from players and coaches if you have an eye out of the ride and about yourself.

Pony boy at the Rugby League must be loving this.
I saw that one flash up on my phone while I was at the supermarket, have now read the article. I’d probably be reluctant to read too much into it at the moment, however it certainly isn’t a good look. We might end up going the ‘captain-coach’ path for the rest of the tournament, however long that lasts for.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
The professional organisations have been running themselves into the ground because everyone in rugby thinks they can do it better than everyone else. That's why there is no coherent centralisation.

And when we look at the conduct of Rugby Australia, is it any wonder there is mistrust everywhere?

All these "Good Rugby Men" couldn't run a chook raffle. You can split most of them into two camps:

1) Amateur mentality with a corporate paycheque

2) Corporate paycheque with fuck all knowledge of the game

The code here is no longer big enough for all these little pissing contests. We need to own the mistakes and start turning them around.

It'll take a decade, and most of any money left from Lions/RWC2027 that we don't have to pay back in loans.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

The salary increase for the AFLW players is huge. Not in terms of money but in terms of an ability to attract and retain talent. I expect the NRLW to follow suit as working with a NRLW player and knowing the level of commitment required (4x16 hour days a week for 20 weeks of the year) it will be very hard for them to justify not doing so. Frankly, in terms of the women's game we're getting blown off the park.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
I saw that one flash up on my phone while I was at the supermarket, have now read the article. I’d probably be reluctant to read too much into it at the moment, however it certainly isn’t a good look. We might end up going the ‘captain-coach’ path for the rest of the tournament, however long that lasts for.

Yes, but with so many captains, which one of them would be the coach?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Brumbies also sold a large chunk of their pre-paid lease back to University of Canberra just to ensure have a cash balance to remain fiscally feasible in the short to medium term.

Long term however it means they will be potentially homeless as the proceeds of their previous land sale were used to fund the long term lease, which they’ve now sold back.

Surely Brumbies Chairman recognises there’s a need to centralise some aspects of the game to improve the standard and cut costs.
This deal never made any sense to me.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
SMH reporting Eddie actually interviewed for Japan job whilst in France https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...abies-world-cup-campaign-20230919-p5e5s7.html
If there is any truth to this report, I feel for every proper rugby person in Australia, because it would smack of almost traitorous behaviour by Eddie, and absolute incompetence by Hamish and RA for handling of the whole f***en schmozzle.
The people being asked to run the game at grassroots and support the sport deserve better, so I truly hope it's well of mark.