• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
"ACT Brumbies chairman Matt Nobbs says the club is railing against centralisation to "fight for Canberra", slamming the lack of detail in the plan as unacceptable and a likely top-down approach as madness."

LOL I just realised where I'd seen this play out before - and recently:

1695531103222.png

Penriff_boy

Billy Sheehan (19)
If there is any truth to this report, I feel for every proper rugby person in Australia, because it would smack of almost traitorous behaviour by Eddie, and absolute incompetence by Hamish and Rugby Australia for handling of the whole f***en schmozzle.
The people being asked to run the game at grassroots and support the sport deserve better, so I truly hope it's well of mark.
Ive said it myself so many times, but no one seems to listen.

Eddie is a dishonest dictator who only cares about himself, he has an ego bigger than Kanye West and lies like a politician.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Wallaroos are looking for a new head coach????? are we back where we were just less than 4 yrs ago? are we about to completely implode as a sport?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Brumbies also sold a large chunk of their pre-paid lease back to University of Canberra just to ensure have a cash balance to remain fiscally feasible in the short to medium term.

Long term however it means they will be potentially homeless as the proceeds of their previous land sale were used to fund the long term lease, which they’ve now sold back.

Surely Brumbies Chairman recognises there’s a need to centralise some aspects of the game to improve the standard and cut costs.
It is important Adam that RA stipulate what those "some aspects" are. This is probably exactly the detail the Brumbies are wanting, and others too if they know what's good for them.

If it's intended that a centralised body will take over the licences/ownership of the franchises, history should be sounding alarm bells loud and clear. Remember what happened to the Force when RA took over ownership.

If NSW and Qld rugby retain majority voting on the controlling Board, will it not just diminish the successful teams (read Brumbies) through redirection of players and rolling out inferior coaching and management structures. Like it or not, the Brumbies are the most successful of the franchises and have performed at higher levels than others over recent years. The fear would be that the Brumbies organisation will be taken down to the level of the other sides in a centralised system rather than the opposite which really should be the aim.

While I think the Brumbies are potentially most at risk from a centralised organisation, both the Force and the Rebels should also be wary of such moves. If it transpires that the centralised system is primarily meant to help NSW and Qld to achieve more, then all three of the smaller teams will be detrimentally affected. It would be wise not to sign away any of their rights until the entire picture is known, and even then, what would be there to stop a future action to shrink to greatness and to plunder the better players from the smaller teams?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
For a bloke that mostly comes across as knowledgeable in the Aus rugby world, just occasionally, man can you come up with some shit.
I am deeply skeptical of the current moves Dru. There are many posters from both NSW and Qld on these threads complaining about the loss of players developed in those states to the Brumbies/Rebels/Force with at least some of them calling for their return. I can accept that I could misread the motivations of RA in wanting to move to a centralised system, but until they explain exactly what is intended and how it will all operate, I hope the three smaller clubs decline the invitation.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I am deeply skeptical of the current moves Dru. There are many posters from both NSW and Qld on these threads complaining about the loss of players developed in those states to the Brumbies/Rebels/Force with at least some of them calling for their return. I can accept that I could misread the motivations of Rugby Australia in wanting to move to a centralised system, but until they explain exactly what is intended and how it will all operate, I hope the three smaller clubs decline the invitation.

Fair enough, mate, but something has to give. I can understand the issue over licences, that would be the start point I reckon. Not the "no, because we are better than y'all".

There is no doubt in my mind that RA aught provide more info here, I'm definitely with you on that.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I am deeply skeptical of the current moves Dru. There are many posters from both NSW and Qld on these threads complaining about the loss of players developed in those states to the Brumbies/Rebels/Force with at least some of them calling for their return. I can accept that I could misread the motivations of Rugby Australia in wanting to move to a centralised system, but until they explain exactly what is intended and how it will all operate, I hope the three smaller clubs decline the invitation.
I personally hope Super rugby is wound up and the 5 'clubs' can be fucked off and replaced by actual clubs.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
This isn’t a dig at you BR although despite your best efforts to somehow blame the Waratahs for Mack Hansens defection to Ireland that one lays squarely at the feet of the Brumbies. Whilst everyone can acknowledge how good the Brumbies are at identifying and stealing talent from NSW and Qld, Canberra actually produces a once in a decade player and they let him slip through to Ireland. That said, I’m not sure he’s better than either of our current wingers - he is definitely the beneficiary of a better backline though.

Edit: I digressed. Centralization would have almost certainly stopped that from happening.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
It is important Adam that Rugby Australia stipulate what those "some aspects" are. This is probably exactly the detail the Brumbies are wanting, and others too if they know what's good for them.

If it's intended that a centralised body will take over the licences/ownership of the franchises, history should be sounding alarm bells loud and clear. Remember what happened to the Force when Rugby Australia took over ownership.

If NSW and Qld rugby retain majority voting on the controlling Board, will it not just diminish the successful teams (read Brumbies) through redirection of players and rolling out inferior coaching and management structures. Like it or not, the Brumbies are the most successful of the franchises and have performed at higher levels than others over recent years. The fear would be that the Brumbies organisation will be taken down to the level of the other sides in a centralised system rather than the opposite which really should be the aim.

While I think the Brumbies are potentially most at risk from a centralised organisation, both the Force and the Rebels should also be wary of such moves. If it transpires that the centralised system is primarily meant to help NSW and Qld to achieve more, then all three of the smaller teams will be detrimentally affected. It would be wise not to sign away any of their rights until the entire picture is known, and even then, what would be there to stop a future action to shrink to greatness and to plunder the better players from the smaller teams?

Issue is that the Brumbies will have lost $20million in equity by the time the current lease expires at University of Canberra from when they sold their old grounds, and crowds continue to decline despite decent performances.

Unless there’s some massive revenue jump incoming, then centralisation of some aspects has to happen otherwise there wont be a club to support in the future.

Brumbies aren’t alone in been fiscally challenged, they are in one of the weakest positions though.

KentwellCup>ShuteShield

Jimmy Flynn (14)
AFL is playing the long game. That will entice a lot of women in Aus. NRLW has made it clear they want a 17 team competition as well. Sadly I feel anyone in the Wallaroos now is almost someone the NRLW hasn’t wanted.

We say we aren’t competing for their talent but I think Aussie Rules want to get in on the Rugby talent. Over the last 20 years Aussie Rules teams have gone from maybe 2 in a School to 6-8 and their are a couple that would be playing 1st or 2nd XV footy.
lol 6-8 is just alarmism and is not true.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Brumbies aren’t alone in been fiscally challenged, they are in one of the weakest positions though.

All the success isn't bringing in record crowds. Why?

I'll say that it isn't all the Brumbies' fault. Attendance at rugby just isn't a thing due to TV broadcast times etc but are they even marketing that success?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
This isn’t a dig at you BR although despite your best efforts to somehow blame the Waratahs for Mack Hansens defection to Ireland that one lays squarely at the feet of the Brumbies. Whilst everyone can acknowledge how good the Brumbies are at identifying and stealing talent from NSW and Qld, Canberra actually produces a once in a decade player and they let him slip through to Ireland. That said, I’m not sure he’s better than either of our current wingers - he is definitely the beneficiary of a better backline though.

Edit: I digressed. Centralization would have almost certainly stopped that from happening.
Can you explain? If he wanted to play international rugby, and we, by your reckoning, have better wingers anyway, how would centralisation stop him going to Ireland?