• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I've been thinking about the alignment between Wallaby and Super level a bit and wonder if, as one or two other posters have alluded to, there is some merit in a team of rivals approach to the Wallaby coaching group?

Something like: Larkham as head coach, Cron (forwards), Coleman (attack), Kiss (defence, I think this would be a particularly excellent choice) and I'm not sure about Foote. There would be complete transparency on S&C, performance metrics etc. The goal for me has to be for the Super sides to beat their Kiwi counterparts more frequently and for the Wallaby players to be better coached and fitter heading into camp.

This level would then be directly plugged into Premier grade coaching in their respective states (coaching fora, clinics etc).

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Head Coach: Eddie Jones
Assistant Coach: Stephen Hoiles
Assistant Coach: Laurie Fisher
Assistant Coach: Peter Hewitt
Wallabies Wellness Co-Ordinator: Travis To'omua
High Performance Director: Michael Cheika
Pathways and Coaching Co-ordinate: Ewen McKenzie
Skills Coach: David Knox
National Skills Coach: Berrick Barnes
Consultant: Scott Wisemantel
General Manager: David Nucifora
CEO: Phil Waugh
National/State Liason Officer: Chris Whittaker

I present my planned Rugby Australia structure from 2024 onwards. Respectful feedback welcome.
I respectfully suggest that the only two people in this list worth having have absolutely no interest in Australian rugby. And rightly so.

Edit: actually that's unfair on Berrick Barnes - but I doubt he has a huge role to play in saving Australian rugby.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Firstly, there is a history of discussion on this through what became known as the thread that would not die. You turn up for two seconds and hash out the same ill-considered twaddle. [Edit: there is a reason the thread was locked.] 2s on a forum does not provide you a status of guru or whatever your actual presumption is.

More to the point, cutting as indicated is actually cutting two states worth of fans and rugby development. Trying to cut Force was an utter fail because of the the utter determination and drive from the fan base. This is something rugby in Australia should highly value, though you know what they say about common sense. And it led to another competition that would have been fully funded and in competition with Rugby Australia - until they re-negged and brought back the Force. Gutting the Force apparently being a sufficient "success" at that point.

Next, the reason, or one of the main reasons we struggle with income is because Super Rugby offers too little content to the broadcasters to be able to attach any reasonable value. You just reduced that a further 40%. Wow. What a financial plan.

Not last, but something many consider fundamental - you just took a national sport and locked it in as the East-Coast Elites that the Rugby Australia is frequently castigated for. If you want a national sport it needs representation in the City that is likely to become our largest, and it needs to be national, ie cross the Nullabor, ffs.

The result is the shrinking-to-greatness accelerator on the down-trend that has been the purvey of twits who recommend shit like this. We already can't find opportunity for our talent, that opportunity doesn't drop by 40% but is a death nell as we hit a phase transition to obliteration.

Now, before we attempt to discuss any more of this myopic regurgitation of unmitigated brain-farts, this forcing of fan die-back to the rusted on, and then taking a sand-blaster to that rust, show some respect to the forum and start your research by looking back through what has been said before. The thread that would not die: (from the start please) https://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/community/threads/where-to-for-super-rugby.17402/

Right now, on the back of the Wallabies hitting rock bottom and far from looking for an exit, picking up spades - it is piss poor timing to re-initiate this well-troden drivel.
What do you really think, Dru?

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
The ‘shrinking to greatness’ comment which keeps getting made is hilarious.

Since 2011 - the first season of the Rebels - Australia has ‘expanded to greatness’ by slipping further down the world rankings each year from 2nd in 2011 to currently 9th.

The answer apparently, is not to shrink the number of Super Rugby clubs to try and produce more competitive teams but shrink the competition to ensure an Australian winner regardless of how mediocre the competition is!

‘Shrinking to greatness’ is exactly how any ‘solutions’ based on a domestic only competition should be described. There are no other Tier 1 countries whose professional teams play only domestic competition.

The problem with Super Rugby in Australia is largely that the Australian teams don’t win. When they were competitive and winning, the Reds, the Waratahs and the Brumbies get crowds and fans follow them.

Build a domestic competition where the Rebels can still play and develop talent. Maybe try and get them into the NPC. But shrinking to greatness by reducing quality competition is madness.
Just another brain dead troll

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Mark Di Stefano tore into the administration in the AFR and didn't miss:

I particularly enjoyed this bit of savagery:
Waugh was then given ample space in this newspaper to explain his “plan to save Australian rugby”. Along with trying to get PE interest and growing the game in western Sydney to fend off competition from competing codes, he had a neat idea.

“I love the concept of an old boys’ day at Allianz Stadium ... three back-to-back GPS [Great Public Schools] games at Allianz Stadium from 11am to 5pm, and you just make it a festival,” Waugh said.

The “save rugby” plan involves a “festival” of Riverview, King’s and Joeys? Phil, that’s not a plan, that’s a Betoota Advocate headline.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
This is what is wrong with Australian Rugby. I’m on here giving great suggestions and everyone is so negative.
Who would you suggest including?
Best,
Beer

I think your definition of great is contested here. There's certainly a few words I can think of as substitutes, but they are not synonyms of the word 'great'.

Goosestep

Syd Malcolm (24)
I know this Is hindsight but in the 90s when the game turned pro around the world … If the clubs in Sydney eg Randwick, Easts, Eastwood etc had turned professional instead of the state Side (Tahs)…. 99% of these problems we face today wouldn’t exist ..

With the talent we have in this country, (and no salary cap ) we very well could have had our own versions of Toulon, toulouse, racing, Wasps ,London Irish in Australia …

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
I know this Is hindsight but in the 90s when the game turned pro around the world … If the clubs in Sydney eg Randwick, Easts, Eastwood etc had turned professional instead of the state Side Tahs 99% of these problems we face today wouldn’t exist ..

With the talent we have in this country, (and no salary cap ) we very well could have our own versions of Toulon, toulouse, racing, Wasps ,London Irish in Australia …
People lacked vision for the game

Blazing Saddles

Sydney Middleton (9)
Mark Di Stefano tore into the administration in the AFR and didn't miss:

I particularly enjoyed this bit of savagery:
Maybe they could also "livestream" the handing out of Wallaby Jerseys at the GPS year 12 presentation nights to assist

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
Head Coach: Eddie Jones
Assistant Coach: Stephen Hoiles
Assistant Coach: Laurie Fisher
Assistant Coach: Peter Hewitt
Wallabies Wellness Co-Ordinator: Travis To'omua
High Performance Director: Michael Cheika
Pathways and Coaching Co-ordinate: Ewen McKenzie
Skills Coach: David Knox
National Skills Coach: Berrick Barnes
Consultant: Scott Wisemantel
General Manager: David Nucifora
CEO: Phil Waugh
National/State Liason Officer: Chris Whittaker

I present my planned Rugby Australia structure from 2024 onwards. Respectful feedback welcome.
That’s a lot of chefs in a very small kitchen