• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I know this Is hindsight but in the 90s when the game turned pro around the world … If the clubs in Sydney eg Randwick, Easts, Eastwood etc had turned professional instead of the state Side (Tahs)…. 99% of these problems we face today wouldn’t exist ..

With the talent we have in this country, (and no salary cap ) we very well could have had our own versions of Toulon, toulouse, racing, Wasps ,London Irish in Australia …
How would they have turned professional?

The irony of you using Wasps as an example of a club worth having (without a salary cap) is astonishing in it's magnitude.

It's like GAGR has been invaded by angry octogenarians intent on making rugby great again by reversing the passage of time.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Australia having 5 teams was key to them getting an even revenue share under the old SANZAR distribution.
yeah ok. This makes sense and I get it.

I think I’m on record as saying NZ has to do more and as unrealistic as it may seem, making the revenue sharing arrangement sharing more even, even if Australia has less teams, makes sense. A weak Australian Super Rugby base does NOTHING for NZ - its actually detrimental.

Goosestep

Syd Malcolm (24)
How would they have turned professional?

The irony of you using Wasps as an example of a club worth having (without a salary cap) is astonishing in it's magnitude.

It's like GAGR has been invaded by angry octogenarians intent on making rugby great again by reversing the passage of time.
How did anyone turn professional? Money, investors …

mate I gave about 5,6 clubs as examples stop cherry-picking brah

DevilDog

Banned
Can't believe where the game has gone in this country. personally involved in helping out with youth sports and none of them give a shit about rugby union.

Anyone with any talent goes to aussie rules or league. They get snapped up immediately on decent coin. We aren't at the table, not even in the same building. We have fuck all to offer except losing.

fluffybunnys fucked.

Goosestep

Syd Malcolm (24)
Touched a nerve eh. Why don't you go google what happened to Wasps mate.
Ahhh actually seems like I touched a nerve with that comment … ;

Who care Wasps is still a famous clubs, and if burnt to ground tomorrow my point still stands ..

European club rugby is still the most elite competition in the world, attracts the best players, and most money ..

we would have been blessed if we had done the same in the 90s

im sure even you reddit loving stingray fans would find some enjoyment in it

Last edited:

Goosestep

Syd Malcolm (24)
You know what. You are right. What Australian rugby is really sorely lacking is more Randwick based rugby.
Oh you’re that cringe nuanced bro.. changing the subject yet again cause you’ve got not answers …nice

But Yes you’re absolutely right Randwick would 100% be one of the clubs in professional comp.. who won the comp this year ?