• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I don’t what other people think but this RWC has thrown up some great games. SA v Ireland, Ireland v ABs, Samoa v England, Aus v Fiji to name a few.

IMO, this morning’s game (ABs v Ire) was heaps better than the NRL GF. Rugby is a fantastic sport with so much to offer and a load more opportunities, even if they are outside if Australia.

Yeah - it’s the worst Wallaby RWC ever but this tournament is still a great showcase for our game, if RA can capitalise on it.

Rugrat

Darby Loudon (17)
I dont want to sound petty, we all love a free airfare for a european holiday but arnt teams suppose to leave after being eliminated from the World cup. We see images of Portugal returning home as a team in full kit. All the wallabies seem to have stayed on in Europe. Im sure theres lots of reasons like family and friends there etc but really we send them off as a team. Im sure senior ARU executives have stayed on for really really important meetings too! Is Jones the only one back so he can pack? Has Mondays press conference been called by Rugby Au or jones personally ??

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
I dont want to sound petty, we all love a free airfare for a european holiday but arnt teams suppose to leave after being eliminated from the World cup. We see images of Portugal returning home as a team in full kit. All the wallabies seem to have stayed on in Europe. Im sure theres lots of reasons like family and friends there etc but really we send them off as a team. Im sure senior ARU executives have stayed on for really really important meetings too! Is Jones the only one back so he can pack? Has Mondays press conference been called by Rugby Au or jones personally ??
It's pretty common place for companies who fly workers to let the worker choose when to fly back ie they send you to a city on Monday for work, you can fly back on Sunday night.

Plus, are you really expecting Skelton to fly back to Aus, only to turn around and fly back to Europe where his family is and where he lives?

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I honestly think it will be either Robbie deans or Michael cheika. The former I reckon got harshly criticised when the real problem was the code in Australia was commencing a rapid downward spiral. The latter is massively passionate about Australian rugby but was not very passionate about his boss in 2019.

Last edited:

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
So what I’ve heard is he’ll leave if the states don’t agree to centralisation. So the interview his just him covering his bases.

do you reckon the states want him to stay or would be happy to see him go?

Wilson

David Codey (61)
So what I’ve heard is he’ll leave if the states don’t agree to centralisation. So the interview his just him covering his bases.

Probably a bit dependant on whether Eddie wants any sort of centralisation or some specific flavour. I can't see them being too happy about him resting players from their lineups on a whim, for example.

Otherwise though I think they probably want stability and certainty going forward, so all other things being equal they'd be inclined to see him stay.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)

So by putting forward an ultimatum that is looking unlikely to happen (at least in it's entirety) based on all the comments coming out of the various state unions he sets up his narrative for bowing out?...

Probably a bit dependant on whether Eddie wants any sort of centralisation or some specific flavour. I can't see them being too happy about him resting players from their lineups on a whim, for example.

Otherwise though I think they probably want stability and certainty going forward, so all other things being equal they'd be inclined to see him stay.
...I guess it depends on the shape as you say.

This feels much like his RWC squad selections of leaving a lot of experience at home and going for a younger team that provides him with a nice narrative around youth and experiences you need to have for the next cycle rather than ever really addressing his choices in this area. A little hard to stomach when you're watching players like Sexton, Biggar, Sanchez, Coles etc.. all running around to good effect.

Last edited:

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Might be diff in nz but generally the media will get notified 2 hours before over here for unscheduled press conferences

I don't wanna be a dick about it but how is it "unscheduled" when everyone knows it's happening, just not at what time? Seems peculiar, even for EJ (Eddie Jones) and/ or RA (still not sure who's presser it actually is).

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I don't wanna be a dick about it but how is it "unscheduled" when everyone knows it's happening, just not at what time? Seems peculiar, even for EJ (Eddie Jones) (Eddie Jones) and/ or Rugby Australia (still not sure who's presser it actually is).
I think it all comes from Jones' comments when he returned to Australia - this is the specific quote:
"Meeting with Rugby (Australia). I will speak to the media on Monday but I am committed to Australia"

So I imagine there is a planned meeting with RA on Monday and some plan to call a press conference after that's finished, but nothing booked in.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Well Chieka has just taken a side to the Semis at least. Beat Australia in Australia as well.

I don’t support it as I think we’ve been there and had or hit of Chieka and thanks for the Tahs title and the WC final but he’s chaos I don’t think we need.
I have been told that despite the criticism of him in the media and on here, the players generally all love him. Both Australian and Argentinian ones. If someone has evidence that disputes that I am all ears.