• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
If the clubs want this model then they need to up the number and $$$$'s of their members and sponsors. I don't think RA could or should support this completely.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
My biggest concern and should be everyone’s biggest concern is will all the the Super Rugby players not involved in the wallabies be playing and starting every week in this 3rd tier? These are the guys that need the games to improve our standard.

Otherwise it’s just more club games. Having potentially 8 clubs with these players involved. Do people realise some teams will be essentially unrecognizable from the QPrem and SS ones during the season. There is prob 5-6 teams worth of starting players in the wider Super Rugby squads, maybe more. We can’t have a situation where Darren the laborer is getting a regular run in these teams because of cohesion and the back up fly half of the Reds is sitting on the bench.

They all need to also be playing in the top tier, not having players in the lower tier because their aligned club didn’t make the cut. Otherwise it’s just more club v club standard games that already happen.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
As to my understanding, the "organic" competitions of the NSWRL and VFL had clubs only running Seniors, Reserves and U21s at the time of moving to become "National" competitions. Worth considering.
The problem in SS is that some clubs have too many players for that model and a few don't always have enough.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Proposed 3rd tier: Super Rugby 'A'

5-6 teams, each super rugby team plus a Barbarians team, based in Western Sydney(?) Or the Drua(?)

Format: Played throughout club/Super Rugby season on a Wednesday. Can play 1-2 games a night, giving broadcasters good value for money, outside of competing windows with the AFL/NRL (hold byes during Origin). Held at suburban grounds like Ballymore or North Sydney Oval. Partner with good event management, you could make it a fun night out for spectators. Imagine the ruckus of a double header at Sydney Uni on Student Night.

Players: Super Rugby squad players who either aren't selected that weekend and perhaps players who only have played limited minutes, eg reserve scrumhalf who came on in the last 5min of the week before. The rest is filled by top club talent.

Fulltime professional contracts will only be offered to those who play Super Rugby A. Genuine pathway, no more recruiting straight from club land.

Benefits: lowest cost, leveraging existing infrastructure from the pro franchises, existing fan base, genuine third tier standard with fringe super players playing with and against the top club players. Stan would surely be interested in expanding their rugby content for prime time midweek. Guaranteed Australian winner (which is really important apparently).

Downside: load management, this will have to be carefully managed, obviously, but not impossible. A player may be expected to play 3 games across 7 days, but this won't be a frequent occurrence. Not an uncommon thing in the northern hemisphere. With this level of autonomy, the season could run from the start of Super Rugby and go all the way through to Spring.
Love the passion and wouldn’t knock any idea. But my concern with something like this is that it doesn’t solve the lack of game issue for Super Rugby players. Because it’s played at similar time it doesn’t solve the issue of players only been exposed to 10-15 pro standard games. We need to get this up to 20-25 pro standard games a year.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
If the clubs want this model then they need to up the number and $$$$'s of their members and sponsors. I don't think Rugby Australia could or should support this completely.

I think this is where some of the concepts originally proposed for the last NRC fell down.

I know in QLD for example before the QRU elected to run the two sides themselves, there were groups of clubs trying to enter into JVs and pony up the coin amongst themselves. No one really came close on their own to having the cash required.

It would really depend if any proposed club comp had one eye on being a direct replacement for Super Rugby down the track here in Australia, or if it was going to remain a 'third tier'.

Singas Rugby Fan

Frank Row (1)
Love the passion and wouldn’t knock any idea. But my concern with something like this is that it doesn’t solve the lack of game issue for Super Rugby players. Because it’s played at similar time it doesn’t solve the issue of players only been exposed to 10-15 pro standard games. We need to get this up to 20-25 pro standard games a year.
fair observation. That's why this comp would need to run beyond the Super season. At a minimum this needs to be played from end of Super Rugby (July?) to Oct-Nov. Perhaps during the regular season there's 1-2 games a week and once Super Rugby is over it ramps up to 3 games a week.

KentwellCup>ShuteShield

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Say if only a few clubs are selected into this 3rd tier. I'd be worried for health of ordinary club rugby in places like brisbane.

Sydney will be able to cope with ease and would probably make community rugby stronger. The clubs who can't make it can easily fold into the Suburban Rugby. However Brissy does not have that depth.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Not a bad idea as they can certainly afford it but many academics in universities have little interest and some have open hostility to rugby in any form.
Many universities already have very productive partnerships with Union and League teams - I can't see there being much, if any, pushback from academic staff (regardless, they wouldn't be the ones signing off on it). The issue will be the business case and funding model.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Doesn’t the NRC in NZ run at the same time as the international games? It would be more cost effective to run a 3T during that window and have domestic club comps until then. The 3rd Tier teams could draft in non Wallaby Super Rugby players.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Like I said, the proposal I’ve heard pushed was probably going to upset those outside of QLD & NSW, but noting it’s from a QLD stakeholder and QLD now hold extra sway at RA level it’s chances have increased quite a bit.

It directly serves the interest of 3 Super Rugby club, and wouldn’t be much for a few players from WA & ACT to get on board with also.

if there was a solution which made everyone happy, then we would have it be now.

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)
Am I the only one who thinks centralising isn’t the magic bullet to solve
our problems ?

Sure if we have good leadership at the top it might trickle down to all the franchises.. but let’s be honest
….

When in the last 20+ years have we had good leadership ??
Nope not the only one. I think it’s important to have governance change, but it won’t be a silver bullet. Structural change like third tier also vital.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
If I had to write it on a white board real quick my option would be
Top 4 SS
Top 4 QPR

It has to either be all or none of the SS/QPR clubs.

As a West's fan, why would I go and watch or support any 3rd tier game that would invovle any of the other QPR teams. Hell, you could easily have Brothers, UQ, Easts and Souths as those four teams and I think I'd rather head to a Broncos game than support the Brethren.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
the other states won't like it but perhaps a NSW and QLD comp (maybe with a Canberra club) but with Super Rugby / none Wallabies scattered throughout (in 'centralisation' approach to player development).

So Marley Pearce, while not in the Wallaby squad, may end up playing for Eastwood or Bond Uni for this comp which provides a higher level of comp for players and fans

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
If we include established clubs, why not have a promotion/relegation system? Or would that just concentrate too many resources in the existing comps?

GeoffL

Bob McCowan (2)
On bended knees, arms open and looking to the heavens.

Don't rush the third tier, the two previous attempts by Pulver & Flower went from idea to playing in about six months.

I would prefer nay beg, that they take 3 to 4 years to get it right.
Release early, release often (RERO)

A development strategy focused on frequent, early releases. The goal is to promote faster, higher software quality that better meets user needs and expectations.

3-4 years - we're all dead

Tazzmania

Charlie Fox (21)
the other states won't like it but perhaps a NSW and QLD comp (maybe with a Canberra club) but with Super Rugby / none Wallabies scattered throughout (in 'centralisation' approach to player development).

So Marley Pearce, while not in the Wallaby squad, may end up playing for Eastwood or Bond Uni for this comp which provides a higher level of comp for players and fans

And what about us stakeholders and fans in the West ?????

And why should players like Marley need to pack their bags and go east for an extended period to get game time, why can't a team or two play out of Perth, or are we just an inconvience and cost to you in the East