• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
It's not what I said though. Creating rep teams at the end of the club season would be fine. Also costs aren't going to be a huge step from interfacing with the Cheetahs and at least it would be within an RA pathways system. Apparently.

I'd suggest that spreading the Red talent between two tiers will only go one way over time - and then the damage to local comp issue is germane.

Frankly to propose a SS v QPR system as an NRC replacement - and this within a redeveloped centralised pathway - seems pretty ludicrous. No semblance of national equality. Of course if you are not bothered by that, then we have a sort of weird shrink-to-greatness 2.0 occurring at club level with only NSW and Qld benefiting.
This sounds like a SS & QPR club championship ft. the Force, and you don't see any issues with such a concept?

You cant shrink from something that doesn’t exist, this removes nothing. A club championship would in fact be growth, just not the growth that suits everyone’s demands perfectly.

Last edited:

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
From a WA perspective I agree it definitely can’t be club sides from here it would need to be a rep team and that team would probably be too strong as almost a full strength super rugby team, plus as mentioned it would cause the costs to blow out.

As much as it hurts to say it I think they need to push on with a club comp for NSW/QLD/ACT for the first year or 2. The WA and VIC players would either get allocated to teams in this new comp, or go play NPC or stay and play in local comp. The players will go East for a few months if paid and if it furthers their career.

see how that goes for a year or two and then look to expand if viable

The Phoenix

Sydney Middleton (9)
National competitions are real problems for all codes below their top league. AFL and NRL don't have anything and the new A League second division is basically Sydney and Melbourne.
Coming from Toowoomba, I actually liked the NRC and I think there was buy in for Qld Country at least, especially when they took the games away from Bond University to regional centres, like Toowoomba, Rocky, Mackay and Townsville . I saw a cracking game in Toowoomba when Brad Thorn was playing - decent crowd, good atmosphere and quality Qld Country merchandise. Most of the players had their roots in country Queensland, except when their was a shortage in a position, eg Tupou played for Country, and many Country and Brisbane City players went on and became the spine of the successful Reds team
So I would be happy to see a reborn NRC with decent marketing (and support from all levels of rugby in NSW) featuring Sydney City, NSW Country, Brisbane City, Qld Country, Perth, Canberra, Melbourne and perhaps a Barbarians team that could play in Adelaide, Hobart and Darwin

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
As much as it hurts to say it I think they need to push on with a club comp for NSW/QLD/ACT for the first year or 2.
Agreed as a Victorian. We just need to get something going that's quick & dirty. Iron out the kinks later. Even for the first five or ten years do this. Get some rivalry and history.

Homer

Ted Fahey (11)
The club tradition is great if it Rats v Manly, or East v Randwick or anyone v Uni but there is no tribalist tradition for Eastwood v Brothers. Then if they try to hold the semis and GF in some empty cauldron of a ground it will just kill everything.
NSW Rugby and RA need to support these home grounds, make games an event to go to, include colts and womens games and then have the finals at reasonable sized grounds like North Sydney or Leichardt until the comp grows in popularity.

It sounds funny now but the Rats had tug of war at half time between the Manly and Rats supporter crews in 2017, a game of sevens but 110kg+ players only. My son was hooked to the game after that. It was an event the fans bought into and built competition between the clubs. Doesnt cost a lot either.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
if there was money for a large number of legit professional clubs, i can actually see X clubs from QPR , X clubs from SS, plus the brumbies, force and rebels. Shelve the tahs and reds and keep those brands for end of season/mid-season state of origin tyle tournament

Cymru

Allen Oxlade (6)
Snore. All. It's pretty simple. What do we lack?

1. Game time for Super Rugby/Wallabies-standard players
2. More content for fans/SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) franchises and broadcast deals.

So let's stop kidding ourselves with made-up NRC clubs or SS/Hospital Cup Clubs which only draw a couple thousand (yes, ok, committed) fans to any game.

Just go to a full season of home-and-away games with Super Rugby. Expand from 14 regular season games to 22 (11 teams, which your team plays twice).

The infrastructure is in place already. We don't have to suddenly start pouring more resources into Gordon or Manly or Brothers or GPS. (although it'd be nice if RA did that as well, TBH). We don't need to resurrect the Sydney Rays or gold diggers or whatever the F*** they were called.

We don't need an extra layer of bureaucracy at Moore Park to deal with it. (again, I'd hope that with Hamish gone RA may finally start to reduce the many, oh so many layers of bureaucracy they love to have).

We just have to solve the conundrum of the July Tests (I don't know, do them later or better still, do them in the middle with SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) still going. League does it with Origin and it seems to work ok.

33% more games means a commensurate increase in broadcast, or at least SOME increase.

It means our SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) players - the elite, who feed the Wallabies - are finally starting to get game time on par with northern Hemisphere clubs.

SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) clubs get another $1m or so a year (ok, maybe not the Brumbies, who couldn't pull a crowd to a public execution of Hamish McLennan in the Civic Mall) from the extra four home games. So that's extra money to put back into the community game, for those clubs actually tied to community. Which is just the Reds and Brumbies, come to think of it, but at least the other three clubs get the novelty of an actual annual profit.

Simple is best.

Caputo

Billy Sheehan (19)
We just have to solve the conundrum of the July Tests (I don't know, do them later or better still, do them in the middle with SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) (Super Rugby Pacific) still going. League does it with Origin and it seems to work ok.
July Test tied to North South Test Championship

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
Snore. All. It's pretty simple. What do we lack?

1. Game time for Super Rugby/Wallabies-standard players
2. More content for fans/SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) (Super Rugby Pacific) franchises and broadcast deals.

So let's stop kidding ourselves with made-up NRC clubs or SS/Hospital Cup Clubs which only draw a couple thousand (yes, ok, committed) fans to any game.

Just go to a full season of home-and-away games with Super Rugby. Expand from 14 regular season games to 22 (11 teams, which your team plays twice).

The infrastructure is in place already. We don't have to suddenly start pouring more resources into Gordon or Manly or Brothers or GPS. (although it'd be nice if RA did that as well, TBH). We don't need to resurrect the Sydney Rays or gold diggers or whatever the F*** they were called.

We don't need an extra layer of bureaucracy at Moore Park to deal with it. (again, I'd hope that with Hamish gone RA may finally start to reduce the many, oh so many layers of bureaucracy they love to have).

We just have to solve the conundrum of the July Tests (I don't know, do them later or better still, do them in the middle with SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) (Super Rugby Pacific) still going. League does it with Origin and it seems to work ok.

33% more games means a commensurate increase in broadcast, or at least SOME increase.

It means our SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) (Super Rugby Pacific) players - the elite, who feed the Wallabies - are finally starting to get game time on par with northern Hemisphere clubs.

SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) (Super Rugby Pacific) clubs get another $1m or so a year (ok, maybe not the Brumbies, who couldn't pull a crowd to a public execution of Hamish McLennan in the Civic Mall) from the extra four home games. So that's extra money to put back into the community game, for those clubs actually tied to community. Which is just the Reds and Brumbies, come to think of it, but at least the other three clubs get the novelty of an actual annual profit.

Simple is best.

A bunch more matches in a comp no one really gives a shit about at this point?

I wouldn't be so sure about an increase in broadcast revenue thanks to 33% more matches. When Fox pulled the pin, it seemed to be generally accepted that Super would cost more to produce than it could generate in income and that without the test rights strapped to it, no one would want it for nothing. Which is commensurate with the general interest in the competition outside rusted on fans dropping to basically zero over the course of the last 10 years.

Cymru

Allen Oxlade (6)
A bunch more matches in a comp no one really gives a shit about at this point?

I wouldn't be so sure about an increase in broadcast revenue thanks to 33% more matches. When Fox pulled the pin, it seemed to be generally accepted that Super would cost more to produce than it could generate in income and that without the test rights strapped to it, no one would want it for nothing. Which is commensurate with the general interest in the competition outside rusted on fans dropping to basically zero over the course of the last 10 years.
You'd rather have 1500 people watching GPS vs Gordon with zero broadcast revenue?

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
You'd rather have 1500 people watching GPS vs Gordon with zero broadcast revenue?

I don't know yet. Surely the point is that it's a comparatively unexplored option and could yield results if community engagement is achieved with a bit of a push from RA/its broadcaster. the NRL seems to get by based largely on loads of teams in one city and so does the AFL. Meanwhile Super attracts little new-fan interest, basically no media interest and based on all of the available evidence, doesn't prepare our players for the test arena either.

The tests produce the broadcast revenue.

Cymru

Allen Oxlade (6)
I don't know yet. Surely the point is that it's a comparatively unexplored option and could yield results if community engagement is achieved with a bit of a push from RA/its broadcaster. the NRL seems to get by based largely on loads of teams in one city and so does the AFL. Meanwhile Super attracts little new-fan interest, basically no media interest and based on all of the available evidence, doesn't prepare our players for the test arena either.

The tests produce the broadcast revenue.
Hardly unexplored. Hospital Cup/SS is on every weekend on Stan.
The broadcaster knows the numbers and we can see the crowds with our own eyes if you show up to Coogee Bay Oval etc.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
Crowds the SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) will be able to rival if they continue along the existing trend. Surely a bunch more matches (in which the Au teams get pumped in anything not against another AU team) is the solution.