• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Where this discussion stemmed from was the significant financial issues at the Rebels and what were to happen if they can’t sort out that mess and turned to RA for a rescue and RA cant fund them, and what the grim reality and implications would be.

Maybe it’s a bit premature to be talking about that, but from all accounts there’s some significant financial pressure across all Super Rugby teams and RA over the next 2 years and there absolutely no guarantee all teams will survive, and we need to be discussing this Issue. It’s another reason centralisation was so critical, and frustrating that the model was shot down by QLD and ACT powerbrokers.

So I'd suggest that although highly related, the financial survival of the Rebels and the importance of a pro rugby team in Melbourne are not necessarily the same issue. Also, in the situation where RA compare the justifiablility of the effort required for the survival of a State Super franchise, not all States are equal. Melbourne has some specifics that pushes it's case up the priority list. For obvious reasons NSW and Qld top the list. Perth has it's own reasoning given my suggestion of the importance of "National" to the game - and of course we understand that they are financially supported.

A coin toss between Canberra and Melbourne would get interesting. And the result imo is not at all clear. For me a reduction to 3 is completely unacceptable, in fact from my perspective any reduction is an anathema. Back in "the real world" both the Rebels and the Brumbies are having financial issues. The Brumbies possibly are the least able to ride that storm, short of the politics of it, and I can completely understand the fans concerns.

I'd suggest that RA need to find a way on both counts.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Then we should be discussing the whole point of Super rugby, exactly what has this competition achieved for the code in this country over the last 25 years.
Until the game here actually deals with the fundamental issues of why it is stoned cold broke, then you are simply kicking the can down the road while your waiting on you next Credit card application to get approved, which is exactly what they have done.

The whole financial set up of the game here is unsustainable, talking about reducing Super teams or the latest buzz word "centralization"
is just pissing in the wind, until you actually deal with why we are are $40 million in debt and need another $80 million to operate over the next few years.

The Rebels are a symptom of a disease the game here just keeps on ignoring all the while it slowly becomes more sicker by the day.
Lol we have been discussing that ad nauseam… doesn’t mean we can’t discuss the Rebels current financial issues as well, especially since that’s of higher risk in short term/immediate concern for the livelihood of all those players and staff employed by the club.

Last edited:

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Silly comment that either demonstrates you don’t understand Sydney, or you do and just want to troll. Anyway, SFS and SCG both sold out for Wallaby tests in Sydney last year.

No it demonstrates that ppl from Victoria are a lot more willing to make the effort to support the national team than the elites of the eastern suburbs of syd

You really have it in for Victorians your a dog wit a bone did someone from melb steal your girlfiend?

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
No it demonstrates that ppl from Victoria are a lot more willing to make the effort to support the national team than the elites of the eastern suburbs of syd

You really have it in for Victorians your a dog wit a bone did someone from melb steal your girlfiend?

Yes yes well done, of course someone from Melbourne stole my girlfriend, so now I’m in a rugby forum correcting your comment about Sydney not selling out test matches… they sold out two last year at SCG & SFS lol

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Yes yes well done, of course someone from Melbourne stole my girlfriend, so now I’m in a rugby forum correcting your comment about Sydney not selling out test matches… they sold out two last year at SCG & SFS lol

All you have done for the past 2 weeks is whinge about Melbourne, speaking of they have some great little boutique stores that would have so really nice cheese to go with your constant whine

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
All you have done for the past 2 weeks is whinge about Melbourne, speaking of they have some great little boutique stores that would have so really nice cheese to go with your constant whine
What does this have to do with Sydney test crowds??

and no.. I have however being critical of the directors who have put the Rebels in significant financial strain to the point the ATO had issued penalty notices and $million in unpaid lease payments since that report was released 5 days ago

You just seem unable to dissociate criticism of the directors who have put the club at risk, and criticism of the team you support. There’s a difference.

Last edited:

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
What does this have to do with Sydney test crowds??

and no.. I have however being critical of the directors who have put the Rebels in significant financial strain to the point the ATO had issued penalty notices and $million in unpaid lease payments since that report was released 5 days ago

You just seem unable to dissociate criticism of the directors who have put the club at risk, and criticism of the team you support. There’s a difference.

yes 5 days ago & every day at least once you have had a whining post at least once

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Wow.

Aus pop 25m, Melbourne 5m, Victoria close to 7m. It's about 20% of Australia in the city itself. It's pretty much Australia's largest city. It is also a sporting hub that is unrivalled on this continent. I'm not at all bothered by the dominance of AFL but I very much would be bothered by the absence of a professional team.

Edit: that Melbourne population is roughly equivalent to the population of Brisbane, Canberra and Perth combined - or alternatively the entire population of New Zealand.

Surely my claim that the game is not national without Melbourne is not silly.
Dru, These arguments have been around for at least 30 years and most sports who attempt to take a slice from that pie have come unstuck. I had 8 tickets to the Lions test in Melbourne 2001 and contacted all the CEO's I had dealings with and not one wanted to go, even though it was a dinner and full service in the box. Ended up handing the tickets to some guys 2 levels down who also had no interest in rugby but fancied a piss up.
We would have been better off investing in Perth with it's SA and Pommie populations.

Last edited:

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
One thing that has improved since the Rebels have existed is the locals coming through the U18s, 20s and Super Rugby.

Might be wrong but it seems a lot more than pre 2010.

Even Scotland are thankful.
That is great Ghost, if it's true but it is the Rebels finances that are the problem. Also, their long-term viability, when you consider that The Storm? have been there for years and struggled for a long time.
It's a club where coaches go to die...

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Dru, These arguments have been around for at least 30 years and most sports who attempt to take a slice from that pie have come unstuck. I had 8 tickets to the Lions test in Melbourne 2001 and contacted all the CEO's I had dealings with and not one wanted to go, even though it was a dinner and full service in the box. Ended up handing the tickets to some guys 2 levels down who also had no interest in rugby but fancied a piss up.
We would have been better off investing in Perth with it's SA and Pommie populations.
Yeh this didn’t happen.

Happy to listen to conversations around the Rebels, but inviting 8 CEOs story haha, there isn’t a corporate box in the country that isn’t filled with regular workers and senior staff members. In fact they make up 95% of all the people in these boxes. Let’s keep these stories real.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
MS, what is the impact to RA if Melbourne Rebels go belly up? Buying TT was a big mistake if they didn't have the money to pay him. Dumb and Stupid.

The impact would be the vic govt. moving the money they currently put in to another sport. You dont reckon RA got a giant cheque from them to get 2 bleds & a Lions game?

TT is within the cap, his big money is the top up from RA. If he stayed at the Reds it just means that money would have gone elsewhere

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
This is good shit, we need to get some fire back in the interstate rivalries.

WA and ACT are freeloading states, let's do SOO between the non traditional states and Vic will clean up. The only thing more dismal than the cricket crowds in Perth will be the Force's. I don't wanna rag on ACT too much because their supporters have to live in Canberra and that's tough enough as is.

QLD need to grow up about their players being poached by Victoria constantly. I'm sorry that we have more than two bars and I can actually walk to work and grab a coffee without having to jump across freeways, sweating 4 litres and being accosted by a monitor lizard. Tupou isn't even a QLDer, you just poached him earlier. Develop some of your own players for once.

I wish the Waratahs weren't so shit that they scared away our best young star to go play for the roosters on a lower salary. You're going to lose even more players when they go 0-2 to the mighty Rebels. Can't wait to see Melburnian Josh Kemeny and coffee sipping Fitzroy lad Kellaway carve up you pretenders. #VicciesgettheBiccies.

dru

Tim Horan (67)

I hear you, don't agree. Well not that exactly. I think both Perth and Melbourne are key to the future of the sport. It seems rough to base an opinion on a single occurrence? As others have said Melbourne has been filling stadia for tests pretty consistently.

I don't disagree with the dismal financial assessment of the Rebels management. This doesn't change my thoughts of Melbourne being important.

RA are best advised to find a way if possible the continue all five State franchises. There are serious problems if finances forced us to present say 4 teams for a period. Because I doubt going back to five would be easy. Were we to stay wedded to New Zealand it would be a particularly tough road. The easiest way to solve this problem is not to have it. Finances at the Rebels need to be resolved if they can be.