• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

andrewM

Herbert Moran (7)

That was all under Labor
Are you friggin kidding me?? Six years on and Victoria still hasn't come good with their Rugby Centre of Excellence??? that was one of cornerstones of why the rebels were favoured. Just reinforces the position that the whole process in 2017 was a complete and utter farce. I'd be gloating in these new developments if it wasn't so serious for rugby in Australia as a whole. Then again, I was quite a fan of twiggyball.

As an organisation, there is something fundamentally wrong at the Rebels. It seems so many people have taken them to the cleaners with deals that always leave them holding the baby. It's simply mind blowing how much in losses this organisation racks up, seemingly without anyone noticing until they put their hand out.

Last edited:

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
Has there been any building started yet on the 22 announcement, governments like to make announcements but are not so keen on building them. Also what significance does a 2018 government assistance package mean to the current situation?
Don't think the board gets out of this one easily.
I believe construction commenced this year. On your other point, if you read what I was responding to it was about vic labour supporting rugby, but you feel free to run down whatever tangent you want to.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
you've got me.. what's an example of a "successful" team that hasn't/doesn't win anything?
I didn't say they don't have to win anything, but it's not only metric of a successful team. I go along with dru, you take into account development, and whether team is near top, is financial, generate support etc etc. Otherwise all teams bar winner of a comp are failures, and I have never believed that.
Just my take of what I consider success, I have coached and been involved with many teams over the years, only time I felt it wasn't successful if somehow team didn't perform to ability, or didn't relate with supporters etc.
Must admit most didn't involve finances, but I always tried very very hard to to work with rest of club/ management teams to leave team in batter place then I/we started with. That was success to me.
Even at highest level in game, I don't consider teams that don't win World Cup etc failures, some can be, but not all.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Are you friggin kidding me?? Six years on and Victoria still hasn't come good with their Rugby Centre of Excellence??? that was one of cornerstones of why the rebels were favoured. Just reinforces the position that the whole process in 2017 was a complete and utter farce. I'd be gloating in these new developments if it wasn't so serious for rugby in Australia as a whole. Then again, I was quite a fan of twiggyball.

As an organisation, there is something fundamentally wrong at the Rebels. It seems so many people have taken them to the cleaners with deals that always leave them holding the baby. It's simply mind blowing how much in losses this organisation racks up, seemingly without anyone noticing until they put their hand out.
I have no ill feeling towards the fans or the players, but this seems to encapsulate the history of the Rebels as an organisation since their introduction.

If the reports are correct that they currently have debts of $9m, how the hell do they think they will get out of it this time? Surely, they can't just keep operating and getting into more debt day by day? If RA's financial situation is also dire, then it's unlikely they would be able to bail the Rebels out on this occasion. And if they did, at whose cost? Would probably mean even more cuts in the dispersals to other franchises which would be likely to have a falling dominoes effect.

Would the Vic Govt again bail them out? Hardly likely when they've recently pulled the plug on the Commonwealth Games, an event with much wider public support than rugby in Victoria. And would there be sugar daddy somewhere willing to take on a $9m and rising debt out of the goodness of their heart?

Is there any alternative?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Is there any alternative?

I would be interested to understand whether or not the Super Rugby license is an asset that creditors of the Rebels could claim against or whether it would just vest back in Rugby Australia if the Rebels ceased to be.

Could Rugby Australia let the Rebels fold, take the license back and then start again with a new team there (that would essentially be the Rebels 2.0) achieving centralisation but also not having to deal with the current debts of the Rebels?

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
I would be interested to understand whether or not the Super Rugby license is an asset that creditors of the Rebels could claim against or whether it would just vest back in Rugby Australia if the Rebels ceased to be.

Could Rugby Australia let the Rebels fold, take the license back and then start again with a new team there (that would essentially be the Rebels 2.0) achieving centralisation but also not having to deal with the current debts of the Rebels?

It wouldn't be assignable in this way. The terms would provide for cancellation/revocation in situations like insolvency, threats-to-reputation etc.

Probably 'Yes' to the second question though the last thing rugby needs is to be accused of phoenixing with everything else that's going on.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It wouldn't be assignable in this way. The terms would provide for cancellation/revocation in situations like insolvency, threats-to-reputation etc.

Probably 'Yes' to the second question though the last thing rugby needs is to be accused of phoenixing with everything else that's going on.

That's what I would assume.

From RA's perspective if they ensured that any small business creditors of the Rebels get paid and then you walk away from repaying anything owed to the ATO (outside of what they can try and collect from Rebels Directors through Director Penalty Notices) and the Victorian government for AAMI Park rent then you probably get away reasonably unscathed in terms of reputation.

Put it on the Rebels management and spin it as the best way to keep people employed and continue providing revenue to the Victorian government through use of the stadium. No one is going to shed many tears for the ATO and Vic Government losing out on money.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
who is holding this 9m bag, as it were?
That's my question also...
I suspect, but hope it isn't BRC.. noting the issues that they're having at the moment with subsidiaries falling into administration due to issues in securing capital.

Tazzmania

Charlie Fox (21)

The ATO has a Phoenix task force and has recently upped the anti and asking people to report potential cases for them to investigate

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The ATO has a Phoenix task force and has recently upped the anti and asking people to report potential cases for them to investigate

I don't think this would be considered a phoenix operation.

It would go from being the Rebels entity to being a RA run entity. There would be no common directors.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
As expected following the ACT & QLD lead coup, push for centralisation in Australian Rugby is once again dead…

“We are certainly moving away from the word centralisation into integration and performance alignment,” Phil Waugh said.