• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Yeh that’s an interesting point because grassroots is obviously the lifeblood of the sport, but without a strong national team or at the very least a team which young players can relate to and aspire to, we will have issues.

Going down to my local club the last few years is the Wallabies lose but the world keeps spinning and our club is a great community. Whilst that is great in theory, I am sure the number crunchers are realising the player numbers aren’t as high.

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
Yeh that’s an interesting point because grassroots is obviously the lifeblood of the sport, but without a strong national team or at the very least a team which young players can relate to and aspire to, we will have issues.

This is the great dilemma of rugby in Aus, when all your eggs are put in the Wallaby basket. In comparison the AFL/NRL have 18 each of there own Wallaby versions that ensures every year they have a successful Wallaby team to grow there codes.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I am interested to read in the summary of the report point 3 where 'fans' are saying priotorise Grassroots etc over wallabies winning tests etc> I would suggest a a few of those 'fans' may actually stop being fans if the Wallabies don't do well?

WTF? What actually has to happen for you to see that?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

Going down to my local club the last few years is the Wallabies lose but the world keeps spinning and our club is a great community. Whilst that is great in theory, I am sure the number crunchers are realising the player numbers aren’t as high.
Isn't that the fundamental flaw in the whole structure? Super Rugby needs to be the focus, with the Wallabies a secondary driver. The Wallabies fortunes are subject to too many variables for it to be the basis on which we run the sport, even if we were good.

It should be your local (professional) team that primarily drives your interest.

I'm fairly convinced these days its well past the hour when this could have been fixed though.

Last edited:

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Isn't that the fundamental flaw in the whole structure? Super Rugby needs to be the focus, with the Wallabies a secondary driver. The Wallabies fortunes are subject to too many variables for it to be the basis on which we run the sport, even if we were good.

It should be your local (professional) team that primarily drives your interest.

I'm fairly convinced these days its well past the hour when this could have been fixed though.

Compare it to cricket though - if the Australian team are doing badly there is a Spanish inquisition. The BBL is a mild distraction, but the main game is the international stuff. Is rugby any different?

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Compare it to cricket though - if the Australian team are doing badly there is a Spanish inquisition. The BBL is a mild distraction, but the main game is the international stuff. Is rugby any different?
Australian cricket team is competitive though, so interest remains strong and fans engaged.

Wallabies are the West Indies of international cricket.

Reactions: dru

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Right now, yes, but we're in a significantly better position talent wise than the Windies are in cricket. We've also been in the top few in the world a lot more recently than them.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
The diversification of cricket formats has always helped Australia, particularly during the ups and downs over the last decade.

Test side not playing too well? At least our T20 team was fun to watch. Things like that help diffuse the issues.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Australian cricket team is competitive though, so interest remains strong and fans engaged.

Wallabies are the West Indies of international cricket.
Test cricket may still be popular in Australia but its still on a downward slide and was starting from a much higher level than Rugby. Its also in serious trouble globally.

Agree with the West Indies analogy. A lot of parallels.

D-Box

Ron Walden (29)
The diversification of cricket formats has always helped Australia, particularly during the ups and downs over the last decade.

Test side not playing too well? At least our T20 team was fun to watch. Things like that help diffuse the issues.

Which makes you question why RA are not making a bigger deal of the Sevens teams - particularly the women.

Reactions: dru

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Which makes you question why RA are not making a bigger deal of the Sevens teams - particularly the women.

They seem to be leaning into them more so now.

But the simple fact is sevens as a domestic competition isn’t easily converted. Big difference between 40 overs of cricket and 14mins of rugby.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
This is the great dilemma of rugby in Aus, when all your eggs are put in the Wallaby basket. In comparison the AFL/NRL have 18 each of there own Wallaby versions that ensures every year they have a successful Wallaby team to grow there codes.
Well I would suggest I/we have seen it already. When the Wallabies were on top, rugby in Aus was strong right down through to grassroots, and there appeared to be a lot of rugby fans (well when I moved over there in 90s) as Wallabies faltered , so did the number of fans I thought. Suddenly many people I knew through work etc, seemed to stop being fans of the game, most who claimed to be right into it while they were on top.
I have seen similar here in NZ when our cricket drifted of it's highs, suddenly people who swear they have followed game etc have no interest.

Last edited:

noscrumnolife

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I am someone who thinks we should make more of 7s than we do, and highlight our successes where they exist. But I think any discussion of that issue needs to account for the fact that as a format, it has not exactly captured the hearts and minds of rugby fans globally, not just in Aus. Outside of Fiji, I can't think of a rugby country that seems particularly enthused by 7s and in which it retains a decent media presence. We are not unique in that it seems to be treated as a nice day out when its in town, and doesn't get all that much attention otherwise.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Unlike the cricket formats, changing from rugby to sevens also isn’t just about some tactical change ups and length of the game.

Pretty much half a regular rugby team not only doesn’t take the field, but also isn’t suited to the game.

One of things rugby definitely has going for it over other contact sports in Australia is they’ll find a position for literally any body shape and skill level. Sure, the other sports will spruik they can do that, but even if rugby league the biggest bloke on the field still needs to be a great tackler and ball runner.

Wallaby Ways

Chris McKivat (8)
I’m fairly optimistic about the bounce back factor in 2024.
I am greatly concerned about the financial situation of 3 of our super rugby franchises.
Is a merger likely?