• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Can I answer that? [All]
Sounds a great idea, 4 Aus teams left (assuming Rebels go broke) could play each other 4 times and follow it with a final series?? Could heighten the interest no end. :D
And other plus is NZR wouldn't have to give RA the $8 mill that RA is not forwarding on to the states apparently, and can give that to Drua and MP (Moana Pasifika) to help them?
Win/win all way around! ;)

Last edited:

Proud Pig

Ted Thorn (20)
I think that is a fair assessment - and the Aus Rugby Union Players will need to take that on-board; they are paid too much in Australia for a sport [in Australia] that can't afford them.

They should, though, have the choice to ply their trade overseas - as it is not that they are overpaid globally [same maybe, but supply/demand will sort that out quickly], just in the AUS Market-Place. RA will need to change its overseas player policy, and we have to admit that domestic rugby union may need to be without some star players in the Australian Market - just like happens in Europe, where some decide to play overseas.
I 100% agree with you on that. We need to drop the salary cap for each super rugby side and accept that the best players will ply their trade overseas. Keep the 5 teams so that Super Rugby is filled with young players trying to make a profession out of the game with a smattering of older professionals. That way Super Rugby almost becomes that third tier that we all want and accept that the second tier is principally Europe.

Steve_Grey

Sydney Middleton (9)
And implement a transfer fee system…
At a certain level that makes sense - part fee to the player, part fee to the Club. That way, the Club [should] then invest in the next crop of talent, funded by their efforts in developing the transferring player.....easier said than done though.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Have people forgotten, or don't know about, Terry Hill and transfer fees? In short, transfer fees have been declared to be a restraint on earnings and haven't been a thing since around the 1980s. Or has there been some legal change that I'm not across?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Have people forgotten, or don't know about, Terry Hill and transfer fees? In short, transfer fees have been declared to be a restraint on earnings and haven't been a thing since around the 1980s. Or has there been some legal change that I'm not across?

That was the player draft Hill challenged.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
I remember Terry Hill getting done poaching other peoples lobster pots on the central coast.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Terry Hill? Possibly Dennis Tutty.
Hill was about the draft system used by the AFL and adopted by the ARL during the 90's I think.

Tutty, was about the right to transfer between clubs when your contract expired to be a free agent.

Both key cases, in fact the Hill case if an AFL player objected to the draft would more than likely stop the AFL draft as a restraint of trade.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
It's done pretty consistently in League when an NRL team wants a Super League Player. Not sure if the rules change when its coming from the UK but some players haven't come because the Club has asked for too much.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
In the context of Australian rugby though.....

There'd be what, 5 or so? Hooper, TT, Rory Arnold, Skelton, Banks

Maybe a couple of others?

Wilson

David Codey (61)
In the context of Australian rugby though.....

There'd be what, 5 or so? Hooper, TT, Rory Arnold, Skelton, Banks

Maybe a couple of others?
In terms of percentages the top 50 AFL players is the top 7.5% of the league (assuming a 37 player average squad size). For Australian super rugby I think it's a 35 player squad (excluding EPS/WTS players), so across 5 teams that's 13 players. We wouldn't have that many on over million locally, probably a max of 3-5 players, depending on the year.

Factoring foreign players probably doubles that, again depending on the year and availability at the time - Adam Coleman for example was on over a million when he left but at some point swapped his eligibility to Tonga.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Hoops wouldn't still be on $1m would he?

QC (Quade Cooper) (Quade Cooper) & Genia would go close

absolutely no way is Hooper getting paid $1million to play 7s...

Be surprised if Cooper and Genia are on more then $750k these days, Japan pay big $$ but those two aren't exactly in their prime anymore and injury risk to both makes it a massive gamble.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
In terms of percentages the top 50 AFL players is the top 7.5% of the league (assuming a 37 player average squad size). For Australian super rugby I think it's a 35 player squad (excluding EPS/WTS players), so across 5 teams that's 13 players. We wouldn't have that many on over million locally, probably a max of 3-5 players, depending on the year.

Factoring foreign players probably doubles that, again depending on the year and availability at the time - Adam Coleman for example was on over a million when he left but at some point swapped his eligibility to Tonga.

Clubs have gotten pretty smart in the afl about spreading the money across their lists. Dustin Martin wouldnt be on much more than Wayne Carey was getting 20+ yrs ago. However min now is 5 times what it used to be & its not un common to have 3-4 players all on 800k+

When Gary Ablett jnr left Geelong it was rumored he was getting 4 times what he would have got at the cats & there 8 players all on 650k