• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Why is it when the rebels lose money it’s their fault yet when Waugh and RA end up over budget by 6+m they are exonerated?

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
. I have paid my membership upfront and in good faith and I am left not knowing if his administration will honour our membership entitlements

You paid your membership to the Rebels, technically you’re a creditor of the Rebels and any good faith was with the Rebels board who ran the club into administration.

If RA are now taking over all the stadium rental costs and ticketing, and memberships are to be honoured then it’s Phil Waugh and RA who will be paying for your seating equivalent to the membership you’ve paid to the Rebels. RA will run at a loss every single match hosting Rebels because they wont receive any of the income from Rebels memberships that were paid.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
There were always options.
It was the best option for a pay TV operator who made a killing, who conned a sporting code that thought it was the next f_____g roman empire walking around starry eyed believing all the crap about global domination.

25 years later the only thing Super Rugby has given the game is a bloody Credit Card bill.
Mate, how involved were you in rugby in the 90s? RA (and NZR,SARFU) had to come up with a comp or money to stop a pay TV operator (Kerry Packer) from actually running the world game. NH did same.There was none in Aus that was interested, channel 10?(I think) were doing their damnest ot get rid of rights in Aus. I don't like pay tv either, but without it there wouldn't be a pro sport that we know.
Like Fox or hate them, without them I seriously doubt whether there would be many on rugby forums. Phil Kearns was Wallabu captain, and was the one of main ones who was getting players to leave RA etc. We had same in NZ with Jock Hobbs (ex NZR chairman) is usually given credit with saving the game, he went around country getting a few young players to sign with NZR. Once he broke tha back of it here and ABs signed it basically started the rebels circuit crumbling. Without AB players it wasn't going to work in SH,and Kearns was real vocal how shit he thought they were for signing. They then had to find the money, and so came super.
I would be incredibly interested in what pro comp you would of set up, especially in Aus where the game was seemingly in no position to sell a comp to anyone. The game was basically a NSW/Qld set up (though not sure about WA)

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
You paid your membership to the Rebels, technically you’re a creditor of the Rebels and any good faith was with the Rebels board who ran the club into administration.

If RA are now taking over all the stadium rental costs and ticketing, and memberships are to be honoured then it’s Phil Waugh and RA who will be paying for your seating equivalent to the membership you’ve paid to the Rebels. RA will run at a loss every single match hosting Rebels because they wont receive any of the income from Rebels memberships that were paid.
And that’s fine, if he came out and said tough shit you get no access we would know where we stand.

Yet he makes promises and fails to deliver.

If he said too bad your membership is done you have to buy a seat I would pay for a ticket. But even though he told the club they would be on sale over the weekend they aren’t.

He is good at talking but backs it up with nothing

He said it was important to communicate with fans yet he is silent.

It’s easy for you all to sit back and laugh but ask yourself how would you feel?

I have to ask to finish early to get to the game so I want to know if I can get in.

I have never blamed him for the debt. Like so many claim.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
And that’s fine, if he came out and said tough shit you get no access we would know where we stand.

If he said too bad your membership is done you have to buy a seat I would pay for a ticket. But even though he told the club they would be on sale over the weekend they aren’t.

It’s easy for you all to sit back and laugh but ask yourself how would you feel?

I have to ask to finish early to get to the game so I want to know if I can get in.
No one is laughing, you haven't missed a game, commercial discussion are ongoing, it’s absolutely in RAs interest to have fans attend for a variety of reasons, including financial as they’re paying the hosting costs. To suggest RA dont care, is a stretch. Getting angry at RA because they‘re seeking to cover your membership costs that the Rebels have swallowed into debt, seems counterintuitive.

If you need to ask to leave early, then just plan as though you are going and carry on. Easy

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

Mate, I don't think anyone on here is sitting back and laughing (if they are they not rugby people), and I would think we all understand your anger and almost why the need to find someone to blame. I gather most are just trying to get some reason?

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
No one is laughing, you haven't missed a game, commercial discussion are ongoing, it’s absolutely in RAs interest to have fans attend for a variety of reasons, including financial as they’re paying the hosting costs. To suggest RA dont care, is a stretch. Getting angry at RA because they‘re seeking to cover your membership costs that the Rebels have swallowed into debt, seems counterintuitive.

If you need to ask to leave early, then just plan as though you are going and carry on. Easy
If they cared they would make good on their promise. Simple as that.

Why was the club told by RA the team was done then if it hasn’t been? Where has Waugh been to set the record straight. They just want to wind the club up and it’s sad but inevitable.

Also it’s not like it will make them money by locking out the fans

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Just a thought. Maybe redirect this anger at the individuals at the Rebels who took your money and have no ability to deliver the product they sold you, rather then those looking to honour your spend out of their own budget.
If he kept his word there wouldn’t be any anger

Again you have never come up with an alternative, what were the Rebels to do have no coach high performance staff or administration because RA is unable to fund the clubs? All the clubs are drowning in the costs of super rugby.

Was the reduction in TV rights solely down to the Rebels?

The death of the Rebels is a small part of a much bigger issue in our game and the attitude of “oh well it’s there fault they shouldn’t have gotten into debt” it is just people sticking their heads in the sand

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
What good has he done?
He’s replaced the guy who hired Eddie for a start. Hired a new coach that took a similar rugby country to us (competing codes and only a few professional clubs) to be somewhat of a powerhouse. The proof will be in the pudding.
Like everyone, I sympathise with your plight and truly hope a professional team will exist in Victoria going forward. But the Rebels financial problems haven’t suddenly occurred under Waughs watch. Regarding the memberships, if they’re not honoured, that’d be shit. But I’d hope RA would be looking to honour the memberships without getting tangled up in the legalities of creditors.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
He’s replaced the guy who hired Eddie for a start. Hired a new coach that took a similar rugby country to us (competing codes and only a few professional clubs) to be somewhat of a powerhouse. The proof will be in the pudding.
Like everyone, I sympathise with your plight and truly hope a professional team will exist in Victoria going forward. But the Rebels financial problems haven’t suddenly occurred under Waughs watch. Regarding the memberships, if they’re not honoured, that’d be shit. But I’d hope RA would be looking to honour the memberships without getting tangled up in the legalities of creditors.
I never said that Waugh was the reason for the financial problems.

He has come out and made a lot of promises and has failed to deliver on them.

The sweeping statements he makes comes across as arrogant and misinformed.

All the coaches we have hired have promised a lot. If he is proven to have made a good call and Schmidt rebuilds the Wallabies I will give him his due credit for the appointment then. When it’s deserved not now.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
I don't know Waugh, and am not a Sydney Uni fan nor a Shore old boy, however while I was sceptical of his appointment, I stated I would wait and see, and that's just what I'm doing.
I can understand anger from a Rebels fan, but directing that at a CEO who hasn't been in the job for twelve months makes no sense.
Waugh didn't create Super Rugby, he didn't create the Rebels model, he didn't hire Jones, he didn't contract Suu'ali, and he certainly wasn't the CEO or CFO of the Rebels when they lost all the money.
There is no way RA can afford to bail the Rebels out, they are desperately indebted themselves (also which occured prior to Waugh), he may or may not prove to be a decent CEO, but none of this current mess is down to him.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
I don't know Waugh, and am not a Sydney Uni fan nor a Shore old boy, however while I was sceptical of his appointment, I stated I would wait and see, and that's just what I'm doing.
I can understand anger from a Rebels fan, but directing that at a CEO who hasn't been in the job for twelve months makes no sense.
Waugh didn't create Super Rugby, he didn't create the Rebels model, he didn't hire Jones, he didn't contract Suu'ali, and he certainly wasn't the CEO or CFO of the Rebels when they lost all the money.
There is no way RA can afford to bail the Rebels out, they are desperately indebted themselves (also which occured prior to Waugh), he may or may not prove to be a decent CEO, but none of this current mess is down to him.
He was the CEO who went 6m over budget at the World Cup so he certainly hasn’t helped the situation. He is also CEO that burnt the games money bailing out the Tahs.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Rebels management fucked themselves and the Rebels. Waugh didn't do it.

What I dislike about Waugh is that he's not fussed about the Rebels' demise. If anything, thinks it's necessary and healthy for the game to lose a team. When he was in Gold, there were 3/4 teams and everything rosy. He thinks Victoria is not worth it and I think will put the game back years by not encouraging a presence here.

wamberal99

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Rebels management fucked themselves and the Rebels. Waugh didn't do it.

What I dislike about Waugh is that he's not fussed about the Rebels' demise. If anything, thinks it's necessary and healthy for the game to lose a team. When he was in Gold, there were 3/4 teams and everything rosy. He thinks Victoria is not worth it and I think will put the game back years by not encouraging a presence here.
He has to do what is possible.