• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
we just gotta embrace that we'll be like the A-league. Ensure we can actually use our OS players properly with decent windows. Start installing robust contracts now that we get OS players 2 weeks+ before each international window.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
In the near term that would be an inevitable outcome, not necessarily a bad one from the Wallabies' perspective. Over time the objective would obviously be to grow the competition and keep more players on our shores, funded via an ever increasing TV deal.

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
In the near term that would be an inevitable outcome, not necessarily a bad one from the Wallabies' perspective. Over time the objective would obviously be to grow the competition and keep more players on our shores, funded via an ever increasing TV deal.
The advantage of this structure it allows and promotes growth, but at the same time does not incur expenses when the game doesn't grow, budgets adjust to present time financials.

The issue we have now is the game is funding itself through a credit card, sooner or later it has to be paid back

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
Realistically I think RA needs some money in the bank following the Lions series and World Cups then can look at a domestic set up in 5 or so years from now
The problem the RA have is they are already something like $30 million in debt and have just borrowed another $80 million to fund the game over the next three years.
Come 2028 the best case scenario is the RA have a $0 balance.

Its what they choose from this date, which will probably decide the codes fate in Australia, the old saying "the definition of"

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
The problem the RA have is they are already something like $30 million in debt and have just borrowed another $80 million to fund the game over the next three years.

Its what they choose from this date, which will probably decide the codes fate in Australia, the old saying "the definition of"
The financial situation can be turned around but it ain't simple and needs a lot of work and focus to achieve it. If Phil W and the others can do it then the next problem and a bigger one to my mind is how to keep it.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)

Yeah they need the pay out to pay off debts accrued years earlier.

Bit like my morning runs are never earning me a few beers that night, they're paying off beers punished months earlier.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
The problem with another NRC is once again you will end up in no man's land, just another added cost without really generating more interest or income.
You can't just add another entity because you primary product Super Rugby is not working.

IMO like you the only option is to go with a Super Rugby au competition with a strategic plan to grow the teams to a sustainable level say 8 teams, long term 15,20 years maybe 10 or 12.
But culling the Rebels just makes that even harder to obtain. and also the RA have shown little if any ability to forward plan, and they are essentially broke.

The whole bloody thing is just a rock and a hard place.

I'm thinking that the horse has bolted for either an NRC second tier or SuperAu. If Rebels go under with these debts, the likelihood of maintianing 5 teams, let along 8 has pretty much evaporated. I don't know what happens next, but the shrinkage down-trend is a huge risk right now.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
we just gotta embrace that we'll be like the A-league. Ensure we can actually use our OS players properly with decent windows. Start installing robust contracts now that we get OS players 2 weeks+ before each international window.
The issue is more than the NRL.

Although if we had a semi pro side, while the NRL becomes a risk of poaching established players we would also provide more money and greater opportunities for all the young players turning pro. So the flip side is hopefully we can retain them, then they fuck off to Europe and Japan and can still be Wallabies.

Then maybe one day we could take the comp pro.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
For example the TPP for the Super Rugby teams is 27.5m

If we split that 9 ways it’s 3m per side. Plus Fiji that I am assuming would be supported by the government the same as they are now.

This gives us a 10 team comp. With 9 Aus sides, lists are roughly 35 so it means 315 list spots as opposed to 175.

We could play a double round robin 18 games each. I would still like to see some cross over with NZ perhaps a champions league set up.

I get an average player payment of 85k is low but we need to find a way to grow the game. Rugby in Aus is stuck in the 20th century

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
This is just Rugby in Aus.... Someone gets into trouble and it's always THAT persons fault. Not mine. I should be supported and saved and then told how vital I am.

Lets just blame the Waratahs. Nobody cares if we do that (Most Tah fans don't). The Waratahs got looked after.... Maybe the Waratahs got ahead of some issues by going to RA and agreeing to centralisation.

Hopefully Waratah Phil & Dan the Red can sort it out.
The fact that the Waratahs got themselves into the financial position they did, depsite operating in the biggest city in the country (and a Rugby city at that), whilst irrelevant to the plight of the Rebels, is absolutely reprehensible for all associated.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
No doubt, completely agree it's been a shit show but trying to compare doesn't fix the Rebels situation which could be 10m+ worse.

Feels like there has been some inappropriate people put in positions that have torched an organisation. Denial has made it worse.

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
For example the TPP for the Super Rugby teams is 27.5m

If we split that 9 ways it’s 3m per side. Plus Fiji that I am assuming would be supported by the government the same as they are now.

This gives us a 10 team comp. With 9 Aus sides, lists are roughly 35 so it means 315 list spots as opposed to 175.

We could play a double round robin 18 games each. I would still like to see some cross over with NZ perhaps a champions league set up.

I get an average player payment of 85k is low but we need to find a way to grow the game. Rugby in Aus is stuck in the 20th century
This point I agree with, the game has been living beyond its means for to long, pretty much life on a credit card. Now all the statements are in the mail.
We have been told the only way the game can survive is essentially through elite level competition and Wallaby dominance, but that is not the reality of the game here.
If you have $30 million and you start a domestic competition then each team gets $3.5 million and you learn to live within your budget.

Right now we're earning $3 Million but spending $5 Million on each team and constantly being told spending $5 Million is the only option we have.

Last edited:

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Anyone have access to this via SMH?

It's a nothing moody article from Webster which is his thing now. He's just elaborating on something Brian Fletcher said on SEN

“We need to stop calling it ‘rugby league’,” the Fox Sports and SEN media personality declared. “Because the people here think we’re referring to ‘rugby’. We need to call it ‘NRL’ instead.”

"few Americans understand the difference. “That’s the All Blacks, right?” is a common response."

I get the idea that they think it's just Rugby. Saying they should push it being called NRL which I can understand. I know a lot of people that call Aussie Rules "AFL"

They shouldn't worry too much. I assume it's going to be mostly aussies in California maybe going and people taking a booking from their hotel concierge when they ask what is on tonight.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
This is somewhat minor news and in todays world not that important. However in the broader context of Australian Rugby or moreover Rugby across the glob it is.

Just like say 20 years ago we had the private schools to ourselves.

In the Pacific, and yes I appreciate the efforts to bring in a PI side to Super Rugby. This makes it somewhat hhhmmmmm important it succeeds.

Adding to RL's growing influence, the Central Coast Mariners just set up something of a youth development talent identification pathway in PI.

Its no huge deal however it again highlights that our heartland areas are coming under the radar of other codes. Adds to the needs and things to look out for.

If interested this is the link and note its not in an Australian site more an international site,