• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
Rugby's business model is the issue with the code here, a sport run by a committee who get replaced by another committee who make decisions that will always benefit whatever committee is at the table.
Unlike the NRL & AFL these are business models driving there sport they adapt, change as required to be better bigger business's
Where as Super Rugby is run by a committee who's main priority is another product.

That's why just like this weekend 4 Super games this Saturday and none on Sunday or Monday of Easter weekend (with the inevitable list of excuses of why), No 2nd team in NSW so your biggest market cannot have tribalism or a game in its biggest market every week.
No real domestic presence, so no growing fan or supporter base, and apparently if were not playing NZ teams every weekend the game is immediately doomed.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Yeah I found a lot of it a bit odd and he's at pains to defend Hammer.
Comments about 7s and women's rugby development was strange.
But ultimately he is saying we can't spend what we don't have.

Bang on. And the last bit is what Waugh and Herbert have been pretty damn clear about.

That fact Hamish was travelling around Europe at the time of the RWC gives me a fairly strong indication of who may have been approving expenditure over and above.

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
Interview with Geoff Stooke ex ARU (RAu) Board Member on the Rugby Wrap.
Good to see that Geoff continues as a servant to the game.
Hoping that this initiative by Supporters of Australian Rugby Reform can realise some meaningful changes.
My disappointment with this interview was more the lack of real change advocated, I agree with him regards the expenditure and spending money the code doesn't have, but that is a result of 20 years of stagnant growth domestically, but still living the same old lifestyle.

Its okay to have a discussion about expenditure, but to focus on 7's and Women's rugby was strange when they probably contribute to about 5% of your budget or debt.
I just didn't come away with anything except lets replace the board with another bunch of people without any strategic plan to address the issue's.

I cant help but get the feeling a whole bunch of ego's just want to be involved with a Lions & World cup coming up, its what happens after.

Last edited:

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Alexi Baker set to be nominated for the RA board:

Executive experience with the NRL as Chief Customer and Digital Officer and almost 10 years with Nine in a variety of roles make her look like just about the best candidate possible. Should be invaluable in broadcast negotiations going forward and really fills an experience gap there.

There's some mention in that article that some unhappy stakeholders will be angry that their candidates were passed over, but I'd be amazed if there was anyone else put forward who could bring as much to the table in the areas we most need it.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Alexi Baker set to be nominated for the RA board:

Executive experience with the NRL as Chief Customer and Digital Officer and almost 10 years with Nine in a variety of roles make her look like just about the best candidate possible. Should be invaluable in broadcast negotiations going forward and really fills an experience gap there.

There's some mention in that article that some unhappy stakeholders will be angry that their candidates were passed over, but I'd be amazed if there was anyone else put forward who could bring as much to the table in the areas we most need it.
Excited for her to realise she has to do twice the battle with 5% of the budget.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
The pitfalls of private equity, short term sugar hit for long-term suffering, signing away revenue in perpetuity needs to be done with a clear and realistic plan for increasing revenue more than the amount you have given up. Premiership Rugby and the A League have both failed to do this

IMG_7033.jpeg

Last edited:

Wilson

David Codey (61)
You can see it in New Zealand's PE deal now too, they're scrambling to find more revenue now that the sugar hit of the initial investment is wearing off and they've got a seperate entity taking their cut.

That's not to say the private equity investment is always going to come back to bite you, just that you need a real plan of what to do with the money that's going to grow your revenue base.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
You can see it in New Zealand's PE deal now too, they're scrambling to find more revenue now that the sugar hit of the initial investment is wearing off and they've got a seperate entity taking their cut.

That's not to say the private equity investment is always going to come back to bite you, just that you need a real plan of what to do with the money that's going to grow your revenue base.
There are so many league wingers we could buy with that money though. Guaranteed bums on seats and eyes on teles.

Pone's Mullet

Alex Ross (28)
It's worked amazingly well for F1 who made smart decisions about marketing this sport, made huge amounts so the 30 odd % isn't felt too much - the problem is Rugby in the UK just spent the $$$ on salaries

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
It's worked amazingly well for F1 who made smart decisions about marketing this sport, made huge amounts so the 30 odd % isn't felt too much - the problem is Rugby in the UK just spent the $$$ on salaries
F1 have absolutely killed it but watch it fall off a cliff in the next 5 years.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

It's hard to work out the overall value proposition for F1 teams though because it's impossible to determine the return for the sponsor (Red Bull, Mercedes, Ferrari etc.). The parent companies are pouring many millions of dollars a year into financing the team so on face value the owner of each team is losing a lot of money every single year.

The owners of F1 are making a fortune but the teams competing certainly aren't.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
hard to work out the overall value proposition for F1 teams though because it's impossible to determine the return for the sponsor

Yeah it's quite interesting comparing F1 to Cycling which is almost an identical model. The TdF is the most watched event every year but we constantly see cycling teams fold because sponsors pull out and the TV coverage money they get is not significant enough to cover all teams operating costs along with the event costs.

Sword of Justice

Bill McLean (32)
F1 sucks, just takes new fans a while to realise it. MotoGP much more entertaining.
Even MotoGP is kind of boring if you become used to Isle of Man TT as an example.

To me, I’m a bigger fan of the cars in F1 than the drivers. Seeing them in the flesh is akin to seeing Taylor Swift or something.

WRC used to be really strong and made the nightly news bulletin on a semi regular basis, not any more.

I guess the moral is to not rest in your laurels and try to foster long term growth as a first priority regardless of the current financial predicament you may find yourself in, barring solvency.

LevitatingSocks

Chris McKivat (8)
Even MotoGP is kind of boring if you become used to Isle of Man TT as an example.

To me, I’m a bigger fan of the cars in F1 than the drivers. Seeing them in the flesh is akin to seeing Taylor Swift or something.

WRC used to be really strong and made the nightly news bulletin on a semi regular basis, not any more.

I guess the moral is to not rest in your laurels and try to foster long term growth as a first priority regardless of the current financial predicament you may find yourself in, barring solvency.
Formula 1 right now is doing well but it's driven by a perfect storm of Formula 1 being trendy, Netflix's Drive to Survive series, and fans that care for the narrative/drama aspect of it rather than the motorsport aspect. Drive to Survive ratings are down for the past season, at some point the trendiness will wear off, and fans that don't become invested in the motorsport aspect of it will lose interest in Formula 1.

Their problem, like others said, is that the actual product that earns you lifelong fans is not great. Minimal competitiveness at the podium, boring tracks built in parking lots, and extortionate pricing.

The actual rugby product we've seen in super rugby is pretty good this season even if the Wallabies are struggling. Rather see a few players lost to overseas rather than dumping revenue back into salaries. Need to build on any momentum we have with investments in grassroots and fan engagement. Reform the Giteau law if need be to keep the Wallabies competitive in that scenario

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
Formula 1 right now is doing well but it's driven by a perfect storm of Formula 1 being trendy, Netflix's Drive to Survive series, and fans that care for the narrative/drama aspect of it rather than the motorsport aspect. Drive to Survive ratings are down for the past season, at some point the trendiness will wear off, and fans that don't become invested in the motorsport aspect of it will lose interest in Formula 1.

Their problem, like others said, is that the actual product that earns you lifelong fans is not great. Minimal competitiveness at the podium, boring tracks built in parking lots, and extortionate pricing.

The actual rugby product we've seen in super rugby is pretty good this season even if the Wallabies are struggling. Rather see a few players lost to overseas rather than dumping revenue back into salaries. Need to build on any momentum we have with investments in grassroots and fan engagement. Reform the Giteau law if need be to keep the Wallabies competitive in that scenario
I'm now at the point with F1 that I watch qualifying, and the short of the race, even though I'm 99% sure who's going to win. It's really just become a procession these days, not like when I started watching it years ago.