• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Linerunner2023

Jimmy Flynn (14)
The 60 thousand people who went to the final probably thought differently.
Are we really trying to hold onto the 2011 and 2014 glory from 10 years ago? Where the 1 side in nsw could only 75% fill a stadium?
again this is the issue let’s sit back and pretend the game is where it was! Every year since it has sat and fallen further behind
We keep looking at the past and pretending the present is fine.
As the other codes get further attractive and further ahead our whole 5 sides who no one knows are playing and that the players even exist don’t even get 30k fans a week to the grounds and try nothing to get out or the situation until it hits rock bottom

Linerunner2023

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I think at least in Australia, the issue is that you're going to be fighting heaps of cultural inertia within the game. Most guys are of a very middle class mindset, keep a low profile, and won't say anything outlandish to the media. There are a fair few Super Rugby players in the first 15 for instance who have entirely private social media.

There's nothing wrong with that from a personal decision standpoint, but it would be almost unheard of in the NRL or even something like the NBA and likely hurts the game from an entertainment/outreach perspective.

Quade Cooper has caught plenty of criticism over the year with a significant portion being deserved, but he's such a lightning rod because he stands in contrast to that with his flair, personality, and very active social media. He sticks out like a sore thumb in rugby but probably wouldn't look out of place in a different code.

You have to lean into the reality show aspect of it nowadays to keep people's attention.
Potentially also why very little people know super rugby is being played, who the players are and once infiltrated to younger audiences and even rugby schools they want to follow their heroes and play their sport
For some sports that are not professional or semi pro many athletes use their social profiles to gain advertising and promoting for products etc to earn $$
We don’t live in the 1990s we live know
Going to rugby training and all the players talking about the nrl, and knowing every player from every team is so backwards but what else can we do
In 2012 afl, nrl and super rugby had similar salary caps around $4.5ml! Super rugby is just over $5ml while the others are over $12m and heading towards $15m. And soon to be over 20 sides so where will players find the best opportunity?

Linerunner2023

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Yeah but no one will watch him in union .. and he’s not a massive name in the NRL anyway …

you’d have to poach Cleary or Walsh to get the effect you’re looking for …
Exactly he will fall into the abis of rugby - league fans will forget he even existed and rugby won’t even advertise or promote him anyway

Goosestep

Syd Malcolm (24)
The 60 thousand people who went to the final probably thought differently.
Pathetic … I don’t know what’s more embarrassing, you being proud of 60k crowd like 10 years ago… or all the people who liked your comments … you guys really do live in a bubble … good luck getting 26K this year smh …

Goosestep

Syd Malcolm (24)
Are we really trying to hold onto the 2011 and 2014 glory from 10 years ago? Where the 1 side in nsw could only 75% fill a stadium?
again this is the issue let’s sit back and pretend the game is where it was! Every year since it has sat and fallen further behind
We keep looking at the past and pretending the present is fine.
As the other codes get further attractive and further ahead our whole 5 sides who no one knows are playing and that the players even exist don’t even get 30k fans a week to the grounds and try nothing to get out or the situation until it hits rock bottom
its Australian rugby, all they’ve got is living through past glories … The cognative dissonance here is crazy… North Korea got nothing on Australia rugby ..

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
its Australian rugby, all they’ve got is living through past glories … The cognative dissonance here is crazy… North Korea got nothing on Australia rugby ..
All I was doing was agreeing with wamberal99

FWIW Rugby in Australia seems to be more popular when we win. That is the first, and overriding, requirement. Both NRL and AFL are parochial games. An Australian team always wins one, and almost always wins the other.
You don't think that rugby is more popular when Australia has winning teams?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Pathetic … I don’t know what’s more embarrassing, you being proud of 60k crowd like 10 years ago… or all the people who liked your comments … you guys really do live in a bubble … good luck getting 26K this year smh …
The premise was that more people attend when winning rugby is on display which is more or less irrefutable.

The actual sad thing is why you bother coming on to this forum at all. We fucking get - rugby is in a bad spot. Go gloat to your mum, she might actually want to hear what you have to say.

Goosestep

Syd Malcolm (24)
The premise was that more people attend when winning rugby is on display which is more or less irrefutable.

The actual sad thing is why you bother coming on to this forum at all. We fucking get - rugby is in a bad spot. Go gloat to your mum, she might actually want to hear what you have to say.
Thanks for the clarification derpy .. now back to ur echo chamber

Marce

Greg Davis (50)
Maybe this kind of good actions could be free with the help of benefactors instead of spend in expensive NRL wingers:

Get into Rugby Programs have commenced and are still open for registration

Both Get into Rugby Walla and Try Time are our two new programs for 4 – 7 years of age, that will be played throughout a 14-week period on Friday evenings. Across 4x Hubs in the Canberra region the now-commenced programs are sure to kickstart any rugby career

Cost - $199.00 (includes training shirt, shorts, dinner (sausage and juice box) after each session).

ae74f289-0b57-4a83-b6f0-014d12a72601.jpg

I think the jersey design with a big V on the chest is a pretty good idea in order to attract League kids lol

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
F*** me, I agree that's where benefactor's money would do great. I honestly can't believe $199 as a cost for 4-7 yos. Not blaming the people running the program, they obviously got costs, just blows my mind when asking parents to fork out that kind of cash.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
F*** me, I agree that's where benefactor's money would do great. I honestly can't believe $199 as a cost for 4-7 yos. Not blaming the people running the program, they obviously got costs, just blows my mind when asking parents to fork out that kind of cash.

Thing is that's actually not that expensive compared to say Soccer. A few of my workmates have kids playing this year and it's $500 a head. Not that I disagree. It should be free.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Maybe this kind of good actions could be free with the help of benefactors instead of spend in expensive NRL wingers:
I have kids around that age in Sydney. No where near Moore Park.

Cost is not really a problem. People have that kind of money.

But they have the option for similar programs from cricket, basketball, soccer, Aussie Rules, league, nippers, little athletics, as well as swimming, dancing and gymnastics. The local AusTag and netball programs are the best run of the lot.

All cost something like that $220. Rugby doesn't get a look in. Wouldn't matter if it was free.

Literally the only conversations I have about rugby here are how people used to like it, and they had heard Sua'ali'i was going to rugby this year.

A tiny crack. An opportunity to be in the conversation. That's what the benefactor is paying for.

Marce

Greg Davis (50)
Literally the only conversations I have about rugby here are how people used to like it, and they had heard Sua'ali'i was going to rugby this year.

A tiny crack. An opportunity to be in the conversation. That's what the benefactor is paying for.
My aunt lives in South-Western Suburbs, he came from Latin America. He knows nothing about rugby but he asked me about Israel Folau and the lawsuit against RA. Izzy scored 60 tries in 96 Super Rugby games and 37 tries in 73 international games. So if this kid match those numbers, a HUGE if, nothing is gonna change cause not even Folau could change the direction.

This program is from Canberra so I don't know if there's something similar in South-Western Suburbs nowadays. If you live over there maybe the prices are pretty similar but the number of options and the quality of them are no the same.

If you are from Abbotsbury, the only real option to get a decent rugby club is Parramatta. It's like 18 kilometers away and you have hundreds of League clubs on the way. So a program like this in a key area of South-Western Sydney could help.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
$200 for 14 x 1 hour sessions is pretty good value (even better if you take $30-50 for the kit).

I pay $24 a 20 minute swim lesson and previously paid $78 a month for "Little kickers" which was 45 minutes of kicking a soccer ball.

For anyone shocked at these costs, I would suggest you speak to your local federal member as these are nothing to the daycare fee's young families are forking out.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Sport is so expensive.

I have 3 teenage kids who have all made their respective age rep teams. Just registration for those rep teams has cost $1,500. Then there is local club rego, extra kit expenses (rego includes socks, shorts and training shirt), travel and accommodation expenses for rep tournaments. And they all play league as well. And one also plays basketball (basketball is expensive!). Add in all the time commitments with trainings, games, travelling a few hours for away games....it's not always easy. We are fortunate enough to be able to just afford it all

But I tell my son that the best things never come easy so I guess you gotta walk the talk LOL

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Thing is that's actually not that expensive compared to say Soccer. A few of my workmates have kids playing this year and it's $500 a head. Not that I disagree. It should be free.
Yep mate fella that worked for me in Brisbane was paying about $1200 a year for 14yo son in soccer, and not in club he wanted either as kid couldn't make team. Was nothing to pay $300 buck for a training session with some Pommy pro that was in town!
I must admit I may of got back to getting used to what kids pay for season here in NZ, local club kids subs $30 season, and thats with a mouyhguard and shorts. Mind you seniors are about $120. Old club in the Mighty Nua kids I think are free as senior club runs fundraisers to cover them for kids.
But obviously just different ways etc and different costs etc.

Top Bottom