• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Bill, Cameron, keep up the good work

Crowd figures:

Roosters v Broncos - 21,212
Manly v Penrith - 15,203
Melbourne v Parra - 22,626

Richmond v Geelong - 95,028
Adelaide v Giants - 52,805
Swans v Essendon - 46,323

Wallabies v Springboks - 17,528

Socceroos v Thailand - 26,393

D

daz

Not sure that is an apples for apples scenario.

Firstly, forget measuring against the AFL; no one competes with them. Simple and realistic.

Socceroos, AAMI holds about 28K, so that is as close to a sellout as possible. Midweek international against a far from top tier country. If against a higher ranked country, it would need to shift to Etihad Stadium.

Wallabies, NIB holds 20K, so that is not a bad crowd, given recent events.

League, well, frankly, who cares? But they have tribal teams just like the AFL, and its finals time.

Not saying he Wallabies crowd is great, but B&I Lions, occasional Bledisloe, etc aside, it's rarely sold out the big stadiums.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Were any of the ARU head honchos at the test/ground last night?
Pulver, Clyne, Eales and the rest.

I'm sure that they would have been there, but with the "in-circle" of cronies telling each other what a fantastic job they are all doing, and they had to can the Force and nothing is their fault, etc, etc, etc.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Not sure that is an apples for apples scenario.

Firstly, forget measuring against the AFL; no one competes with them. Simple and realistic.

Socceroos, AAMI holds about 28K, so that is as close to a sellout as possible. Midweek international against a far from top tier country. If against a higher ranked country, it would need to shift to Etihad Stadium.

Wallabies, NIB holds 20K, so that is not a bad crowd, given recent events.

League, well, frankly, who cares? But they have tribal teams just like the AFL, and its finals time.

Not saying he Wallabies crowd is great, but B&I Lions, occasional Bledisloe, etc aside, it's rarely sold out the big stadiums.

We're in competition with all of them, the other three codes get it, we still don't.

EDIT: And if we really and truly only want to compete with ourselves, let's look at average rugby crowds in Australia since 2003:

Year - average crowd

2003 - 34,793
2004 - 29,184
2005 - 28,552
2006 - 22,609
2007 - 14,118
2008 - 26,827
2009 - 21,341
2010 - 22,622
2011 - 20,130
2012 - 22,360
2013 - 22,654
2014 - 12,218
2015 - 16,841
2016 - 18,818
2017 - 13,297

http://www.austadiums.com/sport/sport.php?sid=5

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
I'm sure that they would have been there, but with the "in-circle" of cronies telling each other what a fantastic job they are all doing, and they had to can the Force and nothing is their fault, etc, etc, etc.

Eales was in Perth for a Club Test lunch on Friday.
He also presented trophies at the U-age finals at Bayswater RUC on Saturday.

Pulver and Ben Whitaker were in town all day Saturday.

Clyne flew in only for the Test.

Rumour has it that there were 1-on-1 meetings btwn Twiggy/Pulver and Twiggy/Clyne.

Mal M Fike

Frank Row (1)
Thanks ForceFan.

I thought I would have heard some booing and jeering from the crowd at the ground with those ARU types there.
Enormous damage is being done to the code with the way the ARU is running the show.
It takes a bit to get me angry but the contempt shown to WA rugby and its supporters worked a treat.

I hope Twiggy keeps his nerve because the game I love so much needs saving. IMHO he is our much needed "White Knight.'

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Thanks ForceFan.

I thought I would have heard some booing and jeering from the crowd at the ground with those ARU types there.
Enormous damage is being done to the code with the way the ARU is running the show.
It takes a bit to get me angry but the contempt shown to WA rugby and its supporters worked a treat.

I hope Twiggy keeps his nerve because the game I love so much needs saving. IMHO he is our much needed "White Knight.'

These guys are actually contemptuous of most sections of the rugby community. You guys just happen to have felt the sting this time. Don't think that they wouldn't hesitate to stick it to anyone else as long as their own positions were preserved.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Thanks ForceFan.

There was a lot of discussion during the week - especially within the supporters group - and the love of the game swamped all other feelings.
The FORCE chant was used to support the Wallabies when extra effort was needed both in attack and defence.
To my knowledge there was no booing of ARU officials.
Hans Sauer, the President of RugbyWA watched the game with Bill Pulver.

Unfortunately, the same level of respect wasn't everywhere:
+ The kids who were meant to run out with the Wallabies were prevented from doing so as too many of them were dressed in Force colours.
+Those who draped the large banner from the Eastern Stand were allowed to do so but were removed from the ground forthwith.

It was pleasing that the little moppet who ran out the match ball was allowed to do so wearing her Force colours.

It seems that this banner survived the cull. Onya Jo!

Western-Force-Protest.jpg

dru

Tim Horan (67)
There was a lot of discussion during the week - especially within the supporters group - and the love of the game swamped all other feelings.
The FORCE chant was used to support the Wallabies when extra effort was needed both in attack and defence.
To my knowledge there was no booing of ARU officials.
Hans Sauer, the President of RugbyWA watched the game with Bill Pulver.

Unfortunately, the same level of respect wasn't everywhere:
+ The kids who were meant to run out with the Wallabies were prevented from doing so as too many of them were dressed in Force colours.
+Those who draped the large banner from the Eastern Stand were allowed to do so but were removed from the ground forthwith.

It was pleasing that the little moppet who ran out the match ball was allowed to do so wearing her Force colours.

It seems that this banner survived the cull. Onya Jo!

View attachment 9761

This stuff makes my blood boil. What did the ARU expect to happen in Perth?

I thought the "Force Force Force" chant supporting the WBS was fabulous. A responsible combination of responsibility and protest.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Anyone who thinks anything less than a sellout for a test at NIB is a good crowd needs to change hands. That should have been sold out months ago. The contempt the ARU has shown rugby in WA had significant impacts.

WA rugby fans that did go showed a shitload of class in my view. That was a very well measured act of protest in a time when frankly I could understand if tensions had of boiled over. It could have been 17,000 people chanting 'Fuck you ARU'.

'Bill the Dill' and 'Clyne the Swine' would have also gone down well in my view.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Anyone who thinks anything less than a sellout for a test at NIB is a good crowd needs to change hands. That should have been sold out months ago. The contempt the ARU has shown rugby in WA had significant impacts.

WA rugby fans that did go showed a shitload of class in my view. That was a very well measured act of protest in a time when frankly I could understand if tensions had of boiled over. It could have been 17,000 people chanting 'Fuck you ARU'.

'Bill the Dill' and 'Clyne the Swine' would have also gone down well in my view.

I wouldnt read too much into it: they cant even sell out a Bledisloe these days - including in Dunedin

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I wouldnt read too much into it: they cant even sell out a Bledisloe these days - including in Dunedin

I went to a France test at the SCG back in the very early sixties. Michael Cleary's last game for the Wobbs. 7,000 spectators. It was pouring down, the ground was 6 inches deep in mud, but still a pretty dismal turnout.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
What a bunch of sick arseholes the Aru are. Not letting the young WA kids run out with the wallabies because they had force jerseys on. Wake up people. Ffs

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk