• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
It's the difference between freedom to do/believe something and freedom from consequences which cuts both ways.

Folau was free to say what he wanted to but the consequences for him were that doing that damaged his employer and ultimately they had to get rid of him. He was legally protected in doing that so he got paid out in order for Rugby Australia to sack him.

The consequences for Rugby Australia are they either stand by their employee to be able to say and do what they want and see sponsors walk away or they sack the employee to protect their brand and have to pay through the nose to settle with that star (former) employee.
Then the sponsor in question walked away anyway

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
It's the difference between freedom to do/believe something and freedom from consequences which cuts both ways.

Folau was free to say what he wanted to but the consequences for him were that doing that damaged his employer and ultimately they had to get rid of him. He was legally protected in doing that so he got paid out in order for Rugby Australia to sack him.

The consequences for Rugby Australia are they either stand by their employee to be able to say and do what they want and see sponsors walk away or they sack the employee to protect their brand and have to pay through the nose to settle with that star (former) employee.
They never found that he was legally protected. It never went to hearing and i dont know there was any clear precedent.

I assume insurers chose to settle.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
They never found that he was legally protected. It never went to hearing and i dont know there was any clear precedent.

I assume insurers chose to settle.

I don't think it was all just covered by insurance. The cost to RA was significant and paid out over a couple of years.

I can only assume that if they thought they were very likely to win they wouldn't have settled.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
I'm not sure how it was a final kick in the teeth?

QANTAS also wound back their sponsorships of cricket and soccer due to COVID.

& still paid himself $2.2m a year while getting rid off all baggage handlers then re hiring them from a recruitment company at half the rate they were getting,

as i said better off without them

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I don't think it was all just covered by insurance. The cost to Rugby Australia was significant and paid out over a couple of years.

I can only assume that if they thought they were very likely to win they wouldn't have settled.
I mean - no lawyer is going to tell them they are very likely to win a contested hearing. Hearings are always a coin toss - no matter how strong you think your case is.

A decision to settle says very little about what the law would say about something.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
& still paid himself $2.2m a year while getting rid off all baggage handlers then re hiring them from a recruitment company at half the rate they were getting,

as i said better off without them
There is something very low life about Joyce. He seemed very influential in getting Raelene into the battle and although I don't think she needed a lot of pushing. I notice he has not rushed back as a sponsor now Covid is over.
It did RA no good at all. Although I was no great fan of Izzy at 15 we have not been able to replace him yet!

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
There is something very low life about Joyce. He seemed very influential in getting Raelene into the battle and although I don't think she needed a lot of pushing. I notice he has not rushed back as a sponsor now Covid is over.
It did Rugby Australia no good at all. Although I was no great fan of Izzy at 15 we have not been able to replace him yet!

The only push came from Folau...

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
I mean - no lawyer is going to tell them they are very likely to win a contested hearing. Hearings are always a coin toss - no matter how strong you think your case is.

A decision to settle says very little about what the law would say about something.
Oh! yes it does, Few lawyers would suggest a settlement if the case was strong (often - even if it's not) as Raelene and a large proportion of ABC watchers believed.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
That post assumes you do not believe in freedom of religion, regardless of how unscientific or irrational it seems to you!
I absolutely cannot be fucked explaining why this is a stupid comment. Theres a whole essay of comments in a locked thread somewhere. Go read them.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Folau stated what he believed in. Raelene pushed back. Folau made the statement then there were claims about agreements and denials.
It was a form of madness from both sides.

That's a very disingenuous summary of what happened...

But there was an extremely lengthy thread about all of this that was shut down a long, long time ago as it's now been five years and I have no doubt the mods will be putting a stop to this discussion very soon...

So, the only comment I'm going to add is...

Fuck that pea brained idiot Folau, and the bigot ship he rode in on.

no-ring-holly-flax.gif

D-Box

Ron Walden (29)
https://www.sydney7s.com.au/about/v...uimVS7m_pl1BifxbIY7imvWaHj_HQQWS9-ZY0LL0ORB3I this is utterly bizarre to me. how dire must aussie rugby's books be to need volunteers to drive teams for a professional tournament + make smoothies. completely goes against trend of pointing out the rort that is unpaid interns performing work which should be paid for. i feel sorry for anyone that takes up a position to "gain experience"
That all looks pretty standard for comps. Think all the Oly volunteers

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
That all looks pretty standard for comps. Think all the Oly volunteers
Yeah seems fine to me. Not doing all that much work, food and meal provided and tickets.

To put into perspective, one of the biggest competitions going around, the EPL only pays their stewards ie the ones who have to deal with the drunk fans 10 pounds an hour.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
That's a very disingenuous summary of what happened...

But there was an extremely lengthy thread about all of this that was shut down a long, long time ago as it's now been five years and I have no doubt the mods will be putting a stop to this discussion very soon...

So, the only comment I'm going to add is...

Fuck that pea brained idiot Folau, and the bigot ship he rode in on.

no-ring-holly-flax.gif

Personally I am a far removed from religion as possibly can be & 100% agree that our game most of the time does & should always welcome ppl of the lgbtq+ community. (my earlier comments about joyce/qantas are purely based on their work place failures of treating ppl nothing against his sexuality)

I just want to ask you 1 question, if a another wallaby shared the same thoughts as Izzy but doesn't post it on Instagram do you also think they shouldn't represent Australia?

Reg totally understand if you delete this post

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Personally I am a far removed from religion as possibly can be & 100% agree that our game most of the time does & should always welcome ppl of the lgbtq+ community. (my earlier comments about joyce/qantas are purely based on their work place failures of treating ppl nothing against his sexuality)

I just want to ask you 1 question, if a another wallaby shared the same thoughts as Izzy but doesn't post it on Instagram do you also think they shouldn't represent Australia?

Reg totally understand if you delete this post

I have no doubt that a few of them share Izzy’s thoughts…

And here’s what I’ll do… I’ll keep my opinions of them off social media.