• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Ironically there's a bit of heritage value to it too - back in 1982 which was the year celebrating 100 years of the QLD Rugby team, they played QLD v NSW game in Townsville (Reds won 23-16 by the way). Next year is the 140 year anniversary of the QRU, so not a bad throw back.

But yes, it was venue availability, a reward for the regions support of the game through COVID, and a eagerness to take the game beyond SEQ

Reactions: dru

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
The fact the AFL owns a stadium that generates them revenue every day of the year
Many years ago RA/NSW rugby bought the Concord Oval ground in Sydney that Wests rugby play on. They actually held Internationals there. That is the level of smarts we have had to deal with over the years.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Don't be so harsh guys - all volunteers get TWO GA tickets to the event (which they're working at so can't attend?) and a uniform to keep.

I've seen volunteer programs go out for a bunch of events like this, field marshals, ticket marshals etc for these events, usually for a few hours a day. But the brief in those ads says, 'extended working hours across all match days'. Sheesh, rough.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Some interim positions are positive, I’ve had a family member work with one of the Super Rugby teams for a short period and they loved it, but the Sydney7s seems to be taking the piss a bit

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The Sydney 7s has had volunteers every year.

I don't think there is any requirement to work for all the days of the tournament to get the pass to access it.

Clearly you are volunteering because you want to help out but a fair amount of it would be pretty fun and interesting being involved in the gameday and with the teams.

It's a bit of a catch-22. I agree with the concept that organizations shouldn't take advantage of labour that should be paid for but likewise, large events like this rely on a strong contingent of volunteers otherwise ticket prices would need to be way higher.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
QRU uses a heap of volunteers every Reds match day to support the delivery of the event.

I know a lot of them have used it as a springboard into the industry.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I don't think there is any requirement to work for all the days of the tournament to get the pass to access it.
Majority of the roles on there have listed under 'Unique Conditions' that volunteers are required to work Friday, Saturday and Sunday for extended hours.

That's really the main part that bothers me, it makes it sounds like they're going to be on the tools for the entire tournament.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Just read that the ABC is showing Kerevi and several Islander players claiming they were gagged by RA over the Folau incident. It's showing on 21st November and maybe a must watch if only to see how the ABC slants it.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Just read that the ABC is showing Kerevi and several Islander players claiming they were gagged by Rugby Australia over the Folau incident. It's showing on 21st November and maybe a must watch if only to see how the ABC slants it.

Not 1 person involved from RA or the coach or izzy is still there, what are they trying to achieve in this? this is our tax dollars being used to drum up this.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Not 1 person involved from Rugby Australia or the coach or izzy is still there, what are they trying to achieve in this? this is our tax dollars being used to drum up this.
It is long enough ago for the ABC to touch it without upsetting their support base. The thoughts of TT and other PI players were known then. I seem to remember TT saying 'why don't they sack all of us as we all feel the same'.
I will be watching it as it relates to religious freedom which I strongly believe in.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I will be watching it as it relates to religious freedom which I strongly believe in.

It's the difference between freedom to do/believe something and freedom from consequences which cuts both ways.

Folau was free to say what he wanted to but the consequences for him were that doing that damaged his employer and ultimately they had to get rid of him. He was legally protected in doing that so he got paid out in order for RA to sack him.

The consequences for RA are they either stand by their employee to be able to say and do what they want and see sponsors walk away or they sack the employee to protect their brand and have to pay through the nose to settle with that star (former) employee.