• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Clubhouse coach

Sydney Middleton (9)
I would start off with your first eight teams Viking, two full home and away rounds and a five team finals series. Followed by a super six comp made up of the top two teams from Australia, New Zealand and Japan.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Bring in a domestic comp I say, but need more teams. Make 10 teams, 2 in Sydney, 2 in Brisbane, Canberra, Melb, Perth, Fiji, and 2 more.

Who cares if the standard drops, to be honest, the more amateur games are probably better spectacles to watch, they flow better and have more tries.

Twiggy can fund it.

I honestly think this is the way forward. Then in later years you can start a Champshionship Cup style comp with Japan, NZ, and SA's comp's.

You've got my vote.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

Rugby Australia rubbishes ‘laughable’ call to ditch the Melbourne Rebels​

A Rugby Australia spokesman, however, said rugby’s role in Melbourne spoke for itself.

“It’s pretty laughable because the journalist who wrote that piece was at the Melbourne Bledisloe Test this year, which was a massive success,” the spokesman told news.com.au.

“It was a sell out, an incredible game of rugby, and it had four homegrown Melbourne players take the field for it.”

“We’re really happy with how Melbourne is developing as a rugby city.”

Reactions: dru

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
And that’s what Kiwi’s don’t see. While the rugby community in Victoria is small there is massive growth potential.
Mate, don't take that idiot Gregor Paul's point as being kiwi's point of view. Kiwi's generally know the population of Melbourne so know the potential.
Couple of years ago it was Stephen Hoiles former Wallaby calling for Rebels to be cut, I didn't think it was Australia calling for ir, just him.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Mate, don't take that idiot Gregor Paul's point as being kiwi's point of view. Kiwi's generally know the population of Melbourne so know the potential.
Couple of years ago it was Stephen Hoiles former Wallaby calling for Rebels to be cut, I didn't think it was Australia calling for ir, just him.
Fair call

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Christy Doran reckons a deal is immiment...

The standoff between Rugby Australia and New Zealand Rugby is edging towards a resolution.

A Super Rugby deal is expected to be reached between the trans-Tasman neighbours early next month.

NZR chief executive Mark Robinson, who was joined by NZR players’ association boss Rob Nichol, flew to Sydney last Monday to meet with their counterparts at Rugby Australia headquarters in Moore Park.

While a deal was not signed off, progress was made to secure the competition’s future beyond next year.

Any new deal will not guarantee an equal split until 2026, as RA gets its ducks in a row while it prepares to host the Rugby World Cup (2027) and Lions tour (2025).

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
Why can't we just play another super rugby AU after Super Rugby Pacific has finished.

Keep the same 5 Aussie teams plus Fiji and Samoa. They all play each other once or twice followed by a grand final. That way all the super rugby players who aren't in the Wallabies keep playing and the teams are topped up with club players. This avoids the issue of teams being manufactured that have no supporter base. If you wanted to you could add 1 team from South Australia or Darwin etc that are made up of the next best club players that haven't been contracted.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Why can't we just play another super rugby AU after Super Rugby Pacific has finished.

Keep the same 5 Aussie teams plus Fiji and Samoa. They all play each other once or twice followed by a grand final. That way all the super rugby players who aren't in the Wallabies keep playing and the teams are topped up with club players. This avoids the issue of teams being manufactured that have no supporter base. If you wanted to you could add 1 team from South Australia or Darwin etc that are made up of the next best club players that haven't been contracted.
Because if we already play the Aus teams twice who will go to a different comp where we play a 3rd time?

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
We have 5 franchises. I for one cannot imagine any of those franchises split into two.
Maybe then it’s time for the Tahs and Reds to go back to being rep teams like they were for the majority of their history. You can’t have just one side in the two heart lands if you want to grow the game

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Maybe then it’s time for the Tahs and Reds to go back to being rep teams like they were for the majority of their history. You can’t have just one side in the two heart lands if you want to grow the game
You just keep the the Tahs and found another team within the old boundaries.

It's not like this hasn't been done successfully before in creating the ACT Brumbies.

As everyone knows, Moreton Bay and the Yarra used to be in NSW.

Southeast corner of Qld is the size of Ireland.
1n0irs4.jpg

Another team could be done.