• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Not a problem fellas, I have no problems with him walking away, but Hamish makes the thread that didn't die look short! And would add I not against RA walking away, just do it!!

Last edited:

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Not a problem fellas, I have no problems with him walking away, but Hamish makes the thread that didn't die looks short! And would add I not against Rugby Australia walking away, just do it!!

Can you imagine a world where Rugby Australia walks away?

IZW_8Zm-7ixy6f6GqQd0tL5ZHYYPPVUsbwjE-3Bb9Fw.jpg

Last edited:

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Not a problem fellas, I have no problems with him walking away, but Hamish makes the thread that didn't die look short! And would add I not against Rugby Australia walking away, just do it!!
It’s called media engagement Dan, heaven forbid NZR could learn a thing or two about it. The debacle that existed earlier this year with Robinson and Foster had even had the NZ media criticising their communications failings.

And now evidentially they’re failing to communicate internally as well.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Forgive me if this has been shared before, but I hadn't seen it - could be interesting viewing. Given that it's been developed and distributed by Fox, the cynic in me thinks it could be quite scathing...

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Forgive me if this has been shared before, but I hadn't seen it - could be interesting viewing. Given that it's been developed and distributed by Fox, the cynic in me thinks it could be quite scathing...
I’m looking forward to watching it too, I’ve heard it is quite scathing but mostly the current administration towards the former one. Definitely should be good watching, I dont have a Foxtel account so I’m looking to trial one

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I’m looking forward to watching it too, I’ve heard it is quite scathing but mostly the current administration towards the former one. Definitely should be good watching, I dont have a Foxtel account so I’m looking to trial one
On binge too, it might be easier to swing a trial code for that

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Quite a hefty amount of podcast content available too, if any masochists are interested

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Watched it on BINGE.

In general agreement with the content, but we need to caution against the message some have taken away from it i.e. "Just go back to 3 Super Rugby teams when we were good".

That is to ignore the significance of the players we had at the time, the subsequent changes to the systems in which they developed, and more particularly the massive head start we had on other nations by having a professional focus; something we effectively understood from having League right next door. On the face of it, the reason the game went professional was due in no small part to rugby league's threat of poaching union players as Super League appeared off the starboard bow.

There is nothing right or wrong with a specific number of teams (look at the amount of Aussies overseas as evidence we can support it), but the way in which those teams operate is key.

The data-driven approach by Gain Line Analytics (Ben Darwin) is touched upon in the closing credits, and this gives me comfort that we can start to see results at Super and Wallabies level.

Last edited:

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I feel like the Darwin analytics are overplayed. He admits that two 9/10 players who have never played together will still likely outperform two 7/10s that play week in week out.

We arent producing 9/10s so even if we achieved Ireland levels of cohesion I'm not sure we'd be that much better.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I always find it strange that the people advocating for fewer teams ignore the fact that after we expanded to five teams, before the competition expanded again in 2016, Australia had a pretty successful with three well coached sides that included two champions, and a runner up…

But throughout much of that period we had more than one team reaching the top four - it was the best period for Australian teams since the Super 12.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
If we're being brutally honest, why do we have to go back to three? The Waratahs were woeful when we had three teams. If we want to be truly competitive, drop it back to just the Reds and Brumbies.

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)
I feel like the Darwin analytics are overplayed. He admits that two 9/10 players who have never played together will still likely outperform two 7/10s that play week in week out.

We arent producing 9/10s so even if we achieved Ireland levels of cohesion I'm not sure we'd be that much better.
I feel like it's either overplayed or underplayed.

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)
Watched it on BINGE.

In general agreement with the content, but we need to caution against the message some have taken away from it i.e. "Just go back to 3 Super Rugby teams when we were good".

That is to ignore the significance of the players we had at the time, the subsequent changes to the systems in which they developed, and more particularly the massive head start we had on other nations by having a professional focus; something we effectively understood from having League right next door. On the face of it, the reason the game went professional was due in no small part to rugby league's threat of poaching union players as Super League appeared off the starboard bow.

There is nothing right or wrong with a specific number of teams (look at the amount of Aussies overseas as evidence we can support it), but the way in which those teams operate is key.

The data-driven approach by Gain Line Analytics (Ben Darwin) is touched upon in the closing credits, and this gives me comfort that we can start to see results at Super and Wallabies level.
This is a helpful analysis.

There are other good reasons we can't go back to 3 teams:

1. It would do more damage than good. Remember the Force.
2. Commercial reasons.
3. If we only had 3 teams we would have had no professional competition/Super Rugby AU for two years during COVID.
4. We still don't know what's happening beyond 2023. We may yet go domestic.

However, there are other ways to build cohesion among the Super Rugby teams. And the inside word is that the Super Rugby teams themselves have understood the importance of this. Hence, the Rebels keeping players together in Queensland's Premier rugby, the Force organising several games against international opposition after SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) in 2023, and other teams scrambling to organise games and short tours, etc.

There is also a general agreement that something between club and Super Rugby needs to be established. It should not be underestimated the cohesive advantage NZs NPC gives their Super Rugby teams. And it's more than simply having a competition in place. NZ's NPC teams are a well established part of the rugby landscape, with influence and connection to players coming through the system.

But cohesion (as measured by GLA) is more than the number of games players have played together. System stability is also a factor. When one team takes a chunk of players from another team's system, it creates instability for both systems. This has a negative effect on a team's cohesion. The Oz Super Rugby teams need to have a clear focus on building (rather than buying) their players within their own system. This is especially important for the Force and Rebels. This is why I'm excited about the new extended u16 and u19 championships. They're a really good (and strategic) step towards retaining players on the pathway to the Super Rugby teams, and building players within a single system. This in turn adds stability to the overall system.

So there are some good things happening.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
This is a helpful analysis.

There are other good reasons we can't go back to 3 teams:

1. It would do more damage than good. Remember the Force.
2. Commercial reasons.
3. If we only had 3 teams we would have had no professional competition/Super Rugby AU for two years during COVID.
4. We still don't know what's happening beyond 2023. We may yet go domestic.

However, there are other ways to build cohesion among the Super Rugby teams. And the inside word is that the Super Rugby teams themselves have understood the importance of this. Hence, the Rebels keeping players together in Queensland's Premier rugby, the Force organising several games against international opposition after SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) (Super Rugby Pacific) in 2023, and other teams scrambling to organise games and short tours, etc.

There is also a general agreement that something between club and Super Rugby needs to be established. It should not be underestimated the cohesive advantage NZs NPC gives their Super Rugby teams. And it's more than simply having a competition in place. NZ's NPC teams are a well established part of the rugby landscape, with influence and connection to players coming through the system.

But cohesion (as measured by GLA) is more than the number of games players have played together. System stability is also a factor. When one team takes a chunk of players from another team's system, it creates instability for both systems. This has a negative effect on a team's cohesion. The Oz Super Rugby teams need to have a clear focus on building (rather than buying) their players within their own system. This is especially important for the Force and Rebels. This is why I'm excited about the new extended u16 and u19 championships. They're a really good (and strategic) step towards retaining players on the pathway to the Super Rugby teams, and building players within a single system. This in turn adds stability to the overall system.

So there are some good things happening.

And what is also important particularly with the junior structures is consistency.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Fuck off Gregor Paul
Getting a bit repetitive really. I reckon we play chicken to the end and see which fucker goes broke first splitting off.

At this point I'm more interested in chatting shit about rugby on this stupid forum than I am the rugby. lets up the fucken odds.