• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I can say with confidence that scholarships were given at Brisbane schools from at least 2000 onwards. I had two class mates who were on Football (soccer) and Athletics rides.

From memory when Nadolo went by Ratu, he was given a full ride at Nudgee. I'm also fairly sure Quade was on a scholarship considering he repeated Grades 11 & 12 over two years. I'm unsure about Pocock as he fled Zimbabwe.
Yep Quade was given a scholarship to Churchies, he actually had come to club I was at in Brisbane, but got scolarship fairly quickly and went there, and tied up with Souths after that.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
quite depressing when you consider in 2003 post RWC; Rugby Australia had equivalent level of assets to AFL & NRL. But also shows the massive gift the Vic Govt provided the AFL with Marvel Stadium

3072A688-4327-465B-8F58-9E0F99A6F696.png

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Australian Schoolboys are their own independent body under Rugby Australia, they are free to negotiate their own jersey and funding deals. I wouldn't read much into it.
In saying that, the release for the 2018 renewal of the ASICS partnership reads as though Schoolboys, U18s, and U20s were part of the broader deal that was meant to run until 2025.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Australian Schoolboys are their own independent body under Rugby Australia, they are free to negotiate their own jersey and funding deals. I wouldn't read much into it.
Why is that? Seems somewhat strange and inefficient. Is there some peculiar licensing arrangement?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Why is that? Seems somewhat strange and inefficient. Is there some peculiar licensing arrangement?

No. The Aust Schoolboys Football Union have always done their own thing. Picked their own teams, ran their own competitions and went to RA for cash handouts. RA weren’t particularly happy with the outcomes and lack of inclusion of the governing body so have effectively decided they’d set up their own program. Thus the Australian Under 18 and Schools team.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Joseph Sua'ali'i named one of the NRL wingers of the year for 2022.

Most fans (aside from Chooks supporters) finding it laughable. He was injured for a portion of the year and wasn't starting in 1st grade either for some.

Optics at least to me looks like the NRL are trying to keep him happy there.

One thing is for certain though, his naming in the NSW SOO squad and now this winger of the year award would definitely put him in the $1M+ bucket if RA want to nab him. His manager would have cracked a few bottles of bubbles last night for sure.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Tbf most of the Wingers this year were out at some point with injury for a big block of time. Sivo, Coates, Cobbo, To'o, Tupou

He benefited from doing what he did at an age and experience level that it surprised everyone. These awards tend to go to players who seem like an outlier. We get use to levels of performance from certain players so it doesn't attract the same attention/awards etc...

Sua'ali'i has control of his future with how his contracts have been built. If a league team wants him, I feel they will keep him unless Rugby do something drastic which I fear for the ramifications if they do. He's a great young talent but the 'supposed' price tag he has makes me think of how many others could be retained or signed with that money.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I don’t think it’s optics, he’s genuinely excellent. The fan outrage is more Roosters outrage I reckon.
I did the rough figures here

Post in thread 'Australian Rugby / Rugby Australia'
http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/co...lian-rugby-rugby-australia.12818/post-1285336

Rugby would need about a mil and it’s certainly more than the NRL could offer or at least the Roosters, I can’t see how they can pay Tedesco, Manu, their halves and Sua'ali'i even close to market value.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Rugby would need about a mil and it’s certainly more than the NRL could offer or at least the Roosters, I can’t see how they can pay Tedesco, Manu, their halves and Sua'ali'i even close to market value.
Add Sam Walkers eventual contract upgrades. If he's a top half of the competition halfback he'll want more than $700,000

If it was the NRL I could see the NRL trying to push him towards the steaming pile of shit that seems to be the Dolphins.

If RA has the ability to construct a contract that allows him to play a season in Japan or whatever else to get it done then I support it but I also want to see money spent on keeping our own talent in Union post school boy footy.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I don’t think it’s optics, he’s genuinely excellent. The fan outrage is more Roosters outrage I reckon.
I did the rough figures here

Post in thread 'Australian Rugby / Rugby Australia'
http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/co...lian-rugby-rugby-australia.12818/post-1285336

Apparently they are also going to add RTS (Roger Tuivasa-Sheck) to their playing stocks. What salary cap?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The latest in the Super Rugby dealings with NZ...

Rugby Australia could still walk away from Super Rugby in 2024, with the governing body left disappointed after New Zealand Rugby walked back on promises.

“They’ve been naughty boys,” RA chair Hamish McLennan told foxsports.com.au.

And just to clear up any confusion for Dan as to who attended that meeting in Adelaide:

In the City of Churches, the NZR board, headed by chief executive Mark Robinson, sat in a meeting room with their RA counterparts, and attempted to nut out a deal to secure their domestic future through to 2030.

There, Robinson, NZR board members Bart Campbell and Bailey Mackey, as well as Blues chairman Don Mackinnon, showed modelling on a whiteboard about the way forward for Super Rugby Pacific.

They addressed RA CEO Andy Marinos, McLennan, director Matthew Hanning, Waratahs chair Tony Crawford and Brumbies chair Matt Nobbs.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Hamish really stop f***en talking, either walk away or don't just shut up for f*** sake, you not doing yourself or RA any favours!!!

And get an independant body to run it FFS!

The best thing on that page was the next article about Hooper looking like being back!

dru

Tim Horan (67)
The latest in the Super Rugby dealings with NZ...

I really like the way RA are handling this, 10/10.

The tensions come as NZR attempts to push RA towards signing a private equity deal with Silver Lake.
After a year of negotiations, the NZR signed off on a $AU180m deal with the US firm. A number of other unions, as well as the Six Nations, have signed deals with CVC. It means the NZR could be isolated if RA don’t sign a deal with Silver Lake.

“I mean they did a private equity deal on the proviso that the Australian teams were part of a Super Rugby competition moving forward,” Nobbs said

Fancy that, NZR rifle pointed at their feet. There is no reason to roll over. Start planning that domestic comp in the background.

Last edited: