• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
That is his reported deal for the current season, not the new one
So am I correct in saying he received upwards of $700000 for his first 2 seasons then $300000 for 2023? So $ 1000000 for 4 minutes in a gold jersey? Big Dell, Lote and Rogers walked straight into the Wallabies and killed it. That’s all I’m saying. A bloody big investment for not much return.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
So am I correct in saying he received upwards of $700000 for his first 2 seasons then $300000 for 2023? So $ 1000000 for 4 minutes in a gold jersey? Big Dell, Lote and Rogers walked straight into the Wallabies and killed it. That’s all I’m saying. A bloody big investment for not much return.
It's on the upper end, but $1m across 3 seasons is pretty par for the course for those on RA top-ups.

The three you mentioned were all a different era, with a different game and vastly different global landscape. Marika took a while to get going and look where he is now. Vuni's improving with the more minutes he gets under his belt, and is looking far more comfortable - be patient, it'll come.

His injuries are far more of a concern than his perceived inability to adapt to the code, but recent commentary suggests that a root cause has been identified and it's hopefully now under control.

Last edited:

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
How’s that Angus Bell contract going? anyone criticising that contract cause of his constant foot injuries?

I know it’s not like for like as they play diff positions and Props IMO more valuable - but putting Vunivalu contract into perspective - injuries play apart but end goal should be how we judge signings… I’m pretty sure Eddie Jones would of had input with any wallaby top up… so gotta trust Eddie decision that bringing back Vunivalu was the right move.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Yeh this Vunivalu situation seems like a big Eddie play.

Vuni was pretty clearly unwanted by the Rennie regime/hadn't earned a spot anyway.

Even with his injuries you'd think there would be a market for him in the NRL (so many shit teams who would love a big Fijian winger) or over in Japan, so I reckon he's on a decent packet for his new deal...

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
How’s that Angus Bell contract going? anyone criticising that contract cause of his constant foot injuries?

I know it’s not like for like as they play diff positions and Props IMO more valuable - but putting Vunivalu contract into perspective - injuries play apart but end goal should be how we judge signings… I’m pretty sure Eddie Jones would of had input with any wallaby top up… so gotta trust Eddie decision that bringing back Vunivalu was the right move.
Sure, they have both had recent injury concerns but also at vastly different stages of their careers, yet Bell is further along.

Vunivalu at 27 years old has played 15 games for the Reds in 3 years and 1 Test. Bell at 22 years old has 30 games for the Tahs and 16 Tests. If you were valuing them there is one clearly worth more.

Eddie just needs someone to talk NRL with since he's not getting any interest.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
You don't play social League like Subbies Rugby can be in the lower grades. The sport is far to physically taxing in regards to contact. One area that they do stay involved in the playing side is OZ Tag and Touch. Smaller scale sure, but the NRL runs these sports so in a way they do count in the organisations numbers.... Makes me worry about our Womens teams into the future because a lot of them came from Touch, but you can bet the NRLW will have first dibs on them now.

The setting of a minimum will at least keep Rugby competitive in terms of the Top 35 for now. And by now I mean up until 2027 when it jumps to $50k a season. Beyond that.

Tazzmania

Charlie Fox (21)
Just to put the 300k into context that is 0.3 % of Rugby Australia's total revenue for the 2020/2021 financial year (no figures released for 21/22 as yet). Total Revenue was 98M including broadcast deals and sponsorship and all other revenues

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
The setting of a minimum will at least keep Rugby competitive in terms of the Top 35 for now. And by now I mean up until 2027 when it jumps to $50k a season. Beyond that.
It is a step in the right direction so they should be given credit for that at least. NRLW by 2027 will be at least a 12 team comp with the average salary being $62,500 so you can assume the top 5 at least in the squad will be around $100,000 then with Origin payments (QLD $15,000, NSW $8,000). A number of the players also get paid to play in the State Comps that are run before the NRLW season. Wouldn't be astronomical but i bet it's more than Club Rugby pays.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
There's a good chance he's signed for very little given his injury and playing record. If so, probably a good deal for us as he may still come good.

Be a bit miffed if its at the expense of Daugunu though. He's in good form at the moment.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
There's a good chance he's signed for very little given his injury and playing record. If so, probably a good deal for us as he may still come good.

Be a bit miffed if its at the expense of Daugunu though. He's in good form at the moment.
Daugunu in form is a far more attractive signing if you are Japanese or French Club Rugby unfortunately.