• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
It’s entirely possible Suncorp Stadium – where the Wallabies have an outstanding record – will host just one test match in three years between July 2022 and August 2025.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
The difference in gambling in the AFL and Super Rugby is so stark. On the road and SEN had a whole show about punting pre game. After watching most of the games in the opening 3 rounds of super rugby there was no gambling talk.

Any blokes here live over the ditch in NZ? @Dan54 in NZ where rugby is king is gambling on the game mainstream like it is here for the AFL and NRL?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
The difference in gambling in the AFL and Super Rugby is so stark. On the road and SEN had a whole show about punting pre game. After watching most of the games in the opening 3 rounds of super rugby there was no gambling talk.

Any blokes here live over the ditch in NZ? @Dan54 in NZ where rugby is king is gambling on the game mainstream like it is here for the AFL and NRL?
Mate I not a gambler (don't even take bets with mates) so don't keep up with it, but I think I have heard something about odds for NRL. I suspect with online stuff a lot would do it there, but not sure if TAB runs NRL and AFL games.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Mate I not a gambler (don't even take bets with mates) so don't keep up with it, but I think I have heard something about odds for NRL. I suspect with online stuff a lot would do it there, but not sure if TAB runs NRL and AFL games.
I don’t bet either, the question was more about the invasiveness of the adds in the broadcast

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I don’t bet either, the question was more about the invasiveness of the adds in the broadcast

Just spent a fair bit of time over the ditch and there wasn’t anything like the ads we have here.

Although as an occasional punter, I had some targeted ads whilst working on my computer and browsing socials because Ladbrokes/NEDs (both owned by Entain) are available in NZ for punting, whereas lot of other Aussie gambling apps are geolocked.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Roosters have declared a profit of 13.2m on a revenue of 80m for 2022.
Gaming 29m
Distribution 15m
Sponsorship 11m
Members/Matchday 4.8m

Fuck that's sad. Roosters, who I presume would draw in more money from members/tickets than any super team has a gaming income 6 times that.
That's about a third of what Penrith generate
And Eddie wants to provoke this guys???? From a marketing perspective it was ok but if they get angry can make you disappear.

Forget about Cameron Murray or Sua'ali'i. Move on and take care of your own diamonds like Petaia or Jorgensen

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Super Rugby clubs get around $5-6million
870C6FA8-D0DD-462F-A3BB-A969E32500ED.png

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Yet, rugby union has higher participation numbers than rugby league in Queensland.

Is the Queensland government aware of that fact? Some officials at 1 William Street aren’t.

Rugby had 71,181 registered participants in 2022 compared to league’s 64,566.

Growth, too, is higher – up 8.6 per cent from 2021, compared to 4.75 per cent for league.

Are those numbers real????

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Super Rugby clubs get around $5-6million
View attachment 15491
Really puts it in context - half the grant of the lowest AFL/NRL team and about half the home games as well.

The Matchday and Membership and the Sponsorship and Revenue charts make for interesting comparisons too - the Reds fall somewhere between Cronulla and Sydney for matchday and memberships - ~3.6m for just the matchday value, ~4.8m if corporate hospitality is included (assuming membership is accounted for in their matchday value, it's not listed separately). Then for sponsorship they're just off the bottom chart (~5.5m):

matchday.png

sponsor.png

Even after all that, ignoring Ballymore grants and having no gambling revenue they had more than double the profit of Cronulla. A long way to go, but at least we're looking lean and reasonably run these days. It'll be interesting to see where the other Australian sides fit in.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Ok mate, no haven't noticed any, I do know that in tests before the game they will often have someone from TAB quoting odds or soemthing, but don't recall seeing them during games.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I am proud of my local rugby community… there’s only one club in Brisbane that has a link to pokie machines.

feels good being able to sleep at night knowing my code is not causing broken homes from the very people who support their game.
Amen to that Southern, I was always pleased that no clubs apart from the one (who it was automatic to dislike anyway at my club:D) got into pokie thing. I always said I found it hard to support a club that did have a tie in with them.